• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    Is it worth its weight?
    I’ve scoured the internet & YouTube, and still unsure whether a regular 147gr or 124 HP +P is better for concealed carry and/or home defense in a subcompact.
    I was lucky to find a Remington Golden Saber +P deal for a good price 10yrs ago. Shoots well at the range but not sure about the stopping power… good, bad or ugly; and what do you use?

Love to hear thoughts of anyone familiar with this

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I was a fan of the Remington 124 +p. When they didn't have any in stock I ran this 124gr round and thought it was milder. It is made for compact guns and it shows decent gallistic gel performance. Haven't used in self defense yet, but... :D

Oh yeah, sorry it's now out of stock.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Depends on the gun…performance can change with different guns. Different bullet designs within the same weight will perform different.

A long time standard has been Federal 9BP which is a 115 grain. It still is an excellent round.

The round you bought a year ago may not be the same round the same company produces today…even if it has the same part number. The technology is always changing…bullet design and construction…propellant selection can change…case construction, etc.

The differences between most defensive ammunition from major manufacturers is statistically pretty minor. Use what you feels works best for your circumstances and needs.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Follow up shots are just as important to me as the initial shot. I put a ported barrel on my primary carry pistol and use 124 gr. Sierra Outdoor Master ammo (got a lot on sale at Midway for $9/box and it will meet my needs).

IMO, you should consider recoil and muzzle rise as well. 147 gr. has a decent amount of recoil, which will be amplified by a micro 9mm (P365, Hellcat, GX4, etc…).

Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    I was a fan of the Remington 124 +p. When they didn't have any in stock I ran this 124gr round and thought it was milder. It is made for compact guns and it shows decent gallistic gel performance. Haven't used in self defense yet, but... :D

Oh yeah, sorry it's now out of stock.
    That was the first box I bought. I’m out of it but seemed really good at the range

Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    Depends on the gun…performance can change with different guns. Different bullet designs within the same weight will perform different.

A long time standard has been Federal 9BP which is a 115 grain. It still is an excellent round.

The round you bought a year ago may not be the same round the same company produces today…even if it has the same part number. The technology is always changing…bullet design and construction…propellant selection can change…case construction, etc.

The differences between most defensive ammunition from major manufacturers is statistically pretty minor. Use what you feels works best for your circumstances and needs.
    Thanks. I saw something that showed there wasn’t much of a difference between ball 115 and 124, and the higher powered 147 seemed to do less? Just wondering the stopping power behind hollow points in the same grain…

Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    Is it worth its weight?
    I’ve scoured the internet & YouTube, and still unsure whether a regular 147gr or 124 HP +P is better for concealed carry and/or home defense in a subcompact.
    I was lucky to find a Remington Golden Saber +P deal for a good price 10yrs ago. Shoots well at the range but not sure about the stopping power… good, bad or ugly; and what do you use?

Thanks for the quick replies. I don’t know how to test this but your recommendations are in my mind. I’ll try these and groupings to see what happens!

Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    Follow up shots are just as important to me as the initial shot. I put a ported barrel on my primary carry pistol and use 124 gr. Sierra Outdoor Master ammo (got a lot on sale at Midway for $9/box and it will meet my needs).

IMO, you should consider recoil and muzzle rise as well. 147 gr. has a decent amount of recoil, which will be amplified by a micro 9mm (P365, Hellcat, GX4, etc…).
    Much appreciated

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Thanks. I saw something that showed there wasn’t much of a difference between ball 115 and 124, and the higher powered 147 seemed to do less? Just wondering the stopping power behind hollow points in the same grain…

“Stopping Power” is very nebulous term…its definition changes as needed. Bullet performance changes depending on velocity, placement, if it’s a center mass hit or peripheral, if it hits bone or a through and through, etc. Gonna hurt regardless but that also depends on state of mind, adrenaline rush, presence of drugs in the system…many variables.

In the 1986 Miami Massacre much scorn was dumped on the 115 grain Winchester Silvertip. The fact is the round performed exactly as designed…it penetrated to specs that the FBI wanted. The fatal flaw was that it was a crossing shot in the perp’s body…not a frontal shot. it was a fatal shot but not immediately so…the perp continued killing until he was put down by another FBI agent.

This resulted in the FBI conducting research into criteria ammunition must meet…criteria specific to the FBI’s perceived requirements which are not necessarily best for other agencies or individuals.

Basically…define your own needs and look for the rounds that best fit those needs.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I really like this ammo. It’s old school and there’s better out there, but it’s been reliable in every firearm I’ve used it in. Plus, it’s not overly expensive.
    As others have stated, there’s no “magic bullet”, shot placement trumps all.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    I use Federal HST 124gr. HP. Shoots good in my gun and tests show it to be very effective.
    Agreed. The 147 hst is also good to go.

Actually I think all hst except .380 is pretty good to go. The .380 hst seems to be a bit disappointing, unfortunately. Either doesn't expand at all and punches too deep or expands and falls well short of the 12" minimum.

The hydrashok deep seems to be king of expanding 380 rounds that will go at least 12" consistently from small ccw pistols.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    FWIW, I'm carrying the Remmington Golden Sabers in my .380. They came highly recommended by @4g64loser

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Pretty much what Mexican Bob has been saying .

My usual statement:

The top half dozen or so 9mm Defensive \ Duty rounds are all good , and so close in effectiveness to be negligible difference. Likewise the better of the classic loads ( like the 9BP mentioned) are still good stuff .

My personal prejudice: I still categorically don't care for 147s .

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Is it worth its weight?

I just buy the +P cases from Starline and Berry's 124gr Hybrid Hollow Point. That way I can load +P or standard rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom