• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The current issue of Firearms News has a very positive review of the AR15Mold.com make your own complete resin lower kit. Here is a link to their web site it has lots of videos and instructions on pouring your finished ready to assemble lower in their patented molds:
    http://ar15mold.com/

cryptoman

Dec 27, 2011
    This is what mine looked like after Cerakote.
    Great job, it looks amazing. I have a couple of 80 percent lowers and jigs, but have been to chicken to start on them. Seeing the job that you did inspires me to follow through.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Didn't they come out with something about loaning the tools (mill/drill press/ jigs) amongst others.

In this case you buy the mold and it comes with enough raw material to make 5 stripped lowers and you can buy additional supplies to make more. Buy a different mold and the same material would make something else.

I believe the ATF was cracking down on people who would do all the preparation and set up and have in house jigs so all the individual did was essentially push the go button on the machine. That is a lot different from people buying jigs or molds and really doing the operations to make a receiver.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    In this case you buy the mold and it comes with enough raw material to make 5 stripped lowers and you can buy additional supplies to make more. Buy a different mold and the same material would make something else.

I believe the ATF was cracking down on people who would do all the preparation and set up and have in house jigs so all the individual did was essentially push the go button on the machine. That is a lot different from people buying jigs or molds and really doing the operations to make a receiver.

That's pretty sneaky. I bet you could rig up a cell phone app that would let you start the CNC machines in some factory from home. LOL

You could get a text message letting you know the block of billet is in the machine, you transmit the go command with your phone and 3 days later it shows up in your mail box. Technically making you the manufacturer.

I think I might be going into business... LOL

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    It only take one false move. One must be careful, go slow and measure/check often. ;)

Exactly!

My brother snickered at me because for every change in direction of the X-Y table, I would stop and say out loud, "I want the table to move away from me, so I will turn the crank handle counterclockwise."

One of us managed to mill right through the sidewall of their lower.

Hint: It wasn't me.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Exactly!

My brother snickered at me because for every change in direction of the X-Y table, I would stop and say out loud, "I want the table to move away from me, so I will turn the crank handle counterclockwise."

One of us managed to mill right through the sidewall of their lower.

Hint: It wasn't me.
    Even with DRO, I still add some tape with arrows penned in to both cranks to indicate direction of travel. One can't be too careful, especially as you are nearing the end of the project! :lol2:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Didn't they come out with something about loaning the tools (mill/drill press/ jigs) amongst others.

You can loan the tools, jigs, etc, with no issues. If it is a CNC machine, you cannot provide the programming, they have to provide their own programming for the CNC machine.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      54.3 KB · Views: 361

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Wow. That looks awesome. How long did it take you? Drill dress, mill or router?

Over the course of few weekends, taking my time and thinking ahead/getting it right. I've done a couple. I use an easy jig, ratty old drill press and a $100 makita trim router

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom