• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Whats ArmedFerret got to do, got to do with it?

Me and A.F. are gonna borrow the MRAP and crush a bunch of 80% lowers for the MSP to keep them from the hands of infidels.

I said the same thing a few pages ago about going and registering with MSP and let's just say AF had some choice comments toward me.

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away....

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Well, looks like this question is resolved. MSP says that stripped lowers are legal when built into a legal configuration. To quote Pam: Well Duh!

-Jim

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Well, looks like this question is resolved. MSP says that stripped lowers are legal when built into a legal configuration. To quote Pam: Well Duh!

-Jim
    True, but you still gotta tell em you have it.. lol

80's are legal as well, completed into a finished lower and built into a legal 'now' configuration, no? :)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    True, but you still gotta tell em you have it.. lol

80's are legal as well, completed into a finished lower and built into a legal 'now' configuration, no? :)

There is no place in the law, where an established resident is required to report their firearms.

Only when people move into the state.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    There is no place in the law, where an established resident is required to report their firearms.

This,

Just the same as those whom are not native from Maryland, moved here with their guns before Oct 1, they did not have to register when they moved here, and there is nothing in FSA2013 that compelled them to register. FSA2013 only dealt with new purchases and new residents moving to the state post Oct 1.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

Sorry, probably wasn't too clear... what I meant was, now that lowers are appearing to be legal to purchase, the same laws would apply to an 80% lower, difference being that it would appear that IP's are requiring you to fill out a 77r, which is, in essence, registering that lower. This is not the case with one you finish yourself.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    So then whom is the " them" that you " gotta tell " you have it?

Do not have to tell anyone you have anything regarding the topic at hand.

Or you mean when you buy a completed stripped lower you have to register it vs no such requirement when you machine your own?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Now that all of this info has come out about lowers being legal again if used correctly is there anyone on the forum who is providing the cnc mill services? Or providing help in finishing an 80% lower?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Now that all of this info has come out about lowers being legal again if used correctly is there anyone on the forum who is providing the cnc mill services? Or providing help in finishing an 80% lower?

Believe ATF decided that was a no-no; providing the CNC and program and just having the person press "start" still made the person with the CNC and program a "manufacturer".

Proceed at your own risk.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

I've seen kits online that have everything you need to finish an 80% lower with a drill press. I'm sure you can operate one of those so pick that kit up and save yourself the potential for an issue.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Any places online ship 80% lowers to MD?

Why wouldn't they ship 80% lowers to Maryland. The things are fancy paperweights and have never been banned for possession in Maryland. Huge difference between 80% and 100%.

Last night I did some research on how to finish these things, and while it can be done with a drill press it is much easier/smoother with a mill. So, looks like a mill is in my future. If I am really lucky, I might be able to swing an entry level CnC machine and really start wasting even more time that I do not have on my hands.

Good times.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I've seen kits online that have everything you need to finish an 80% lower with a drill press. I'm sure you can operate one of those so pick that kit up and save yourself the potential for an issue.

I've seen the kits and a long video showing how to do it with a drill press. The kit and video were from Juggernaut Tactical. It sells the 80% lowers too.

Thing is, I also read a lot of places that if you don't know what you are doing with a drill press while you are trying to mill with it, you can really end up hurting yourself.

drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    I think if you take your time you will be OK. Don't expect perfect results with no machine marks especially the first time around, but I have seen them turn out pretty damn clean. I might recommend a kit that comes with a jig you know will fit the lower without having to get creative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom