• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have two lowers that haven't been milled out so they still are in the 80% form. The only issue is they are not anodized. Could I have someone do the anodizing for me before they are milled out? Or is that a big no no? I know once you mill anything out it cannot be touched by anyone else. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Please don't crucify me for asking a "dumb" question.

Tnt9506

Feb 27, 2016
    Poolesville
    From my experience, I would anodize it before engraving. The engraving process will remove the top layer of the anodize allowing to be a different color to be seen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Technically, once it is milled, it becomes a firearm and needs to be with you or an ffl. You could, for example, take it somewhere that isn't an ffl and wait while they do it, but you can't just 'leave it with them' unless they have an ffl.

Personally, I think the holes for the selector and pins should be anodized or otherwise coated. The pocket, not so much, since there really isn't any contact there with anything to cause wear and tear.

There are other options besides anodizing, like Cerakote or Durakote. Durakote is easy to do one's self at home, Cerakote a little more difficult, but can be done also at home if you have the proper spray gun and and a compressor. ;)

bleggett29

Dec 11, 2015
    St. Mary's County
    I have two lowers that haven't been milled out so they still are in the 80% form. The only issue is they are not anodized. Could I have someone do the anodizing for me before they are milled out? Or is that a big no no? I know once you mill anything out it cannot be touched by anyone else. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Please don't crucify me for asking a "dumb" question.
    Since they're still just 80% complete, you can give them to whoever you want as long as they don't proceed with any milling of the remaining 20%.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Usanodizing is an FFL and you can ship it directly to them and they ship back to you. You can mill it out and ship to them that way your pin holes are anodized otherwise what's the point and you might as well just get it ceracoat or duracoated.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If you really want it anodized before you mill it out, there's no issue with anyone doing it, since it's not a firearm yet. Still just a paperweight so no rules at all.

I'd go the US Anodizing route myself, and have them do it after all the milling is done.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    Usanodizing is an FFL and you can ship it directly to them and they ship back to you. You can mill it out and ship to them that way your pin holes are anodized otherwise what's the point and you might as well just get it ceracoat or duracoated.

I believe the receiver has to be serialized at that point. They have to log it in somehow. I think.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    If you feel really good about the milling process, send it out before to be anodized. No restrictions. But if the milling process screws it up. You've wasted money. I'd advise milling, then home cerakote or durakote. I have one done in rustoleum that looks great and is easy to touch up.

An anodized 80% is $45 or less (yes on backorder, you'll have to wait). But it seems sending out a silver one doesn't make economic sense.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Brownell's AlumaHyde II is decent stuff, although it's fallen out of favor lately. You just need to give it enough cure time or bake it in a toaster oven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom