• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I'm pondering doing an 80% lower or two. The satisfaction of doing something like this myself just seems cool, and I'm interested in doing one.

Problems: I don't have a mill. I only have a drill press. Also, I have very, very limited experience working with tools of this nature. Almost none.

Am I wasting my time? Is it going to be way too much of a pain in the ass with no mill?

Has anyone done it with nothing but a drill press successfully?

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    I did some without a mill, are they functional yes, but one of them looks like crap inside. That can be mitigated by using some 1/8 end mills in a dremel to finish up. Look for some drill patterns that use progressively larger bits to remove material.

Having a mill made the process much much easier.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    If you're doing this as a fun, crafty sort of project then go for it. If you're clever and don't mind your work not being picture perfect you could likely find a way to get it done.

Otherwise, (IANAL) I think if you're physically present for the work being done you can take it to any machine shop to be finished without legal trouble.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I can do it and I dont. Even after you do the machining are you going to anodize at home? It should be anodized because it increases surface hardness. If you pay for good anodizing youll pay more than a stripped lower costs.

IMO its a complete waste of time. Its not cost effective or of any educational merit. Its machinework, its not rocket science.

The ONLY way I would say its worthwhile is if you have a CNC and it can be done precisely.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I can do it and I dont. Even after you do the machining are you going to anodize at home? It should be anodized because it increases surface hardness. If you pay for good anodizing youll pay more than a stripped lower costs.

IMO its a complete waste of time. Its not cost effective or of any educational merit. Its machinework, its not rocket science.

The ONLY way I would say its worthwhile is if you have a CNC and it can be done precisely.

Did you disable your PMs?

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    I done a few with a mil and a drill press, of course the milled ones are nicer.
    It's a hobby for me and I find it very enjoyable, sure it cost more than a stripped lower but like I said I enjoy it and in no way think its a waste of time. If you have the tools to do it, I don't see any reason not to.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Cost effective maybe not. For the joy of the hobby is my main interest.

There are jigs and fixtures that allow you to do everything with a drill press. sure it will take longer and require a little more carefull attention to detail.

However it certainly can be done.

MississippiJoe

Jul 21, 2012
    No. The reason I got one was to build it myself because it's one of my hobbies. It had nothing to do with whether it's was regulated or not.

I can see the pride in finishing it out yourself, but I know if I tried I would screw it up.

raff696

Nov 1, 2008
    an 80%lower for $109 or a spikes stripped lower for $139? doest add up in my book.:shrug:

A main reason why someone would rather mill out a 80% lower instead of buying a ready lower is this. A the pride of saying i did that my self and it shoots! and B you do not need to Reg with MD! a gun off the books is ok by me.. that means when they come to take any rifles which they just might by the way things are shaping up.. they wont know i have it! from what ive seen on CNCgunsmithing.com and lowerrecievers.com its doable with a decent drill press and a AR-15 Jig! they sell them, and they are in stock too!:D

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    This... you can find Spikes as well as other brands even cheaper, picked up my spike a month ago for 115.00 on Rifle Gear

you haven't shopped around enough. while there's a wait, they're less than that some places.

i have three lowers at home yet to be built on; one has everything for a standard 16" m4 profile finish, and the others, who knows. if i get any more lowers to build on anytime soon, it'll be a matched set of either TM or Mega for a .308 build. I don't need to have a lower right away for every possible 5.56-based upper i might build; one taxed as an SBR, one for more precision-type work, etc. Once this nationwide idiocy dies down, i'll snag a couple more lowers to host whatever isn't on a rifle when i'm "done" building uppers....and i've no desire to do 80% builds either. parking/spray finishing is one thing. anodizing is just too damn involved for me. i have other stuff to occupy my time.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Ares Armor has them pre-anodized for $90.

My buddy is buying a jig and has a drill press in his garage. Even if they ban lowers in Maryland, they can't ban making them. Unless they put 1984-style telescreens in our homes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom