• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • methlab

Mar 18, 2011
    Northern Harford County
    That is correct. You are allowed to personaly build a firearm for personal use without a backgroud check or registration. The law states that you only need to do 20% of the build your self. Hence the 80% completed lower. Remember that only the stripped lower is considered the "gun" The rest are just machined parts.

The FAA does the same thing with planes. To have a license to fly you have to go through training and certification. If you build a plane from a kit or from scratch, you don't need all of the paperwork for a regular plane.

If you buy a finished lower receiver it's considered a regulated firearm even though it's only part of one. So you have to buy it through a licensed dealer (FFL) with the corresponding background check, waiting period, etc.

If you buy an 80% lower receiver you can take direct delivery of it without an FFL. In fact all the rest of the parts of an AR-15 can be purchased without an FFL as well. When you personally finish the 80% lower receiver to make it 100% working and put it together with the rest of the parts (barrel, trigger parts etc) you have a working AR-15. As long as you keep it for your own use you don't have to report it to anyone.

It's completely legal.
    Okay, Im confused. I have to go through a 7 day waiting period to purchase a STRIPPED LOWER from an FFL in MD. , but I can buy an 80% without doing any of this. That's how I read what you are saying. Please explain. Something just doesn't add up.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Yep, because a stripped lower is able to accept the parts needed to make it fully functional. It is a completed part, as needed to be. An 80% is not complete, and needs machine work and a few holes drilled to make it accept the FCG, etc.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Yep, because a stripped lower is able to accept the parts needed to make it fully functional. It is a completed part, as needed to be. An 80% is not complete, and needs machine work and a few holes drilled to make it accept the FCG, etc.

Thank you Quad for that answer. I ASS-UMED that an 80% meant 80% finished. as in assembled. Not 80% of the machine work finished. Now I understand!! Thank you again. Always learnin'

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Thank you Quad for that answer. I ASS-UMED that an 80% meant 80% finished. as in assembled. Not 80% of the machine work finished. Now I understand!! Thank you again. Always learnin'

No problem!! We're always learning something, about something lol. I have done some research on 80% lowers and there are a few companies out there that seem to be a little easier to finish than some others.

Here is one I am considering

https://www.colfaxtactical.com/ar15.htm

cyrano_oneone

Dec 15, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    If you buy a finished lower receiver it's considered a regulated firearm even though it's only part of one. So you have to buy it through a licensed dealer (FFL) with the corresponding background check, waiting period, etc.

If you buy an 80% lower receiver you can take direct delivery of it without an FFL. In fact all the rest of the parts of an AR-15 can be purchased without an FFL as well. When you personally finish the 80% lower receiver to make it 100% working and put it together with the rest of the parts (barrel, trigger parts etc) you have a working AR-15. As long as you keep it for your own use you don't have to report it to anyone.

It's completely legal.
    Okay, Im confused. I have to go through a 7 day waiting period to purchase a STRIPPED LOWER from an FFL in MD. , but I can buy an 80% without doing any of this. That's how I read what you are saying. Please explain. Something just doesn't add up.

As I understand it is that an the AR 80% lower is not legally a lower. The seller generally sends a copy of the letter from the ATF confirming this.

At what point does a block of aluminum become a legal AR lower. Apparently when it is 80% completed as determined by the ATF.

If you buy and 80% lower you are not getting a stripped AR Lower. You will have to put a fair amount of hours, tools to make it into a stripped lower. While it is fairly straight forward it is expensive unless you already have have the tools and know how.

I did not....so I am probably spend four or fives times what a stripped lower costs to make one that is a hack.

But I am having fun and learning.....

cheers

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom