• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyrano_oneone

Dec 15, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    I would appreciate members opinions on the following:

- Given a finished a 80% lower for the AR-15.
    - The 80% lower comes from a reputable manufacturer.
    - All function tests for the lower have been passed.
    - The upper is an unmodified upper from a reputable manufacturer.

What are the safety concerns when testing the rifle?

I am thinking since the upper is where all the high pressures are then testing should be straight forward.

What is the preferred method of testing?

Thanks,

cyrano

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Not much to worry about here. If your completed rifle chambers a round, and the locking lugs engage, you are probably safe. The biggest problems with most 80%'s are off center safety's or a trigger group that doesn't reset / fire.

-Jim

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    Keep in mind most 80% lowers start at the same forge as every other commercially available lower.

Most of mine have the same forge mark as my dpms lowers. See sticky on ar15 and read section on lowers.

cyrano_oneone

Dec 15, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Not much to worry about here. If your completed rifle chambers a round, and the locking lugs engage, you are probably safe. The biggest problems with most 80%'s are off center safety's or a trigger group that doesn't reset / fire.

-Jim

Hi Jim,

I will look out for the reset fire issue.

What do you mean by "off center safety's"...what happens if this occurs

thanks for you time.

Jon

cyrano_oneone

Dec 15, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Keep in mind most 80% lowers start at the same forge as every other commercially available lower.

Most of mine have the same forge mark as my dpms lowers. See sticky on ar15 and read section on lowers.

So I think what you are saying is that most 80% lower come from the same manufacturer so the quality is not an issue in most cases?

Is the right or am I missing something?

thanks

Jon

stevegee58

Spooky
    Aug 5, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    The quality of the hunk of aluminum is the same, but the accuracy of hole size/placement is crucial and has nothing to do with where the 80% came from. If you don't do the work accurately the mechanism will be sloppy and may not operate reliably.

Nubz

Yankee Trash
    Mar 16, 2012
    Hi Jim,

I will look out for the reset fire issue.

What do you mean by "off center safety's"...what happens if this occurs

thanks for you time.

Jon

Seems to me if you have the lower completed you would have noticed if the safety and trigger worked correctly by now since you could dry fire it and move the safety and see if they worked

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    Exactly....the hunk of metal is the same, so you should have to worry about the lower failing.

The precision of the holes affect functionality but my assumption/experience is that if the lower function tests properly...disconnector, safety engagement and disengagement, then I'm good to go.

Drakos

Outta Control
    Dec 25, 2010
    Really?

How much are you saving? 10-15 bucks?

Is it worth the frustration if even a single hole is mis-drilled by a fartskin?

What am I missing?

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    80% lowers are more about doing something your self.

You get to place whatever marks on it you like. Finish it however you like.

I have not had any bad or unworkable misalignment on mines. But I use a tm jig kit.

cyrano_oneone

Dec 15, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    80% lowers are more about doing something your self.

You get to place whatever marks on it you like. Finish it however you like.

I have not had any bad or unworkable misalignment on mines. But I use a tm jig kit.

Exactly...its all about doing it yourself.

If I added up the costs including my mistakes so far....well its not economical..but I learned:

- how the AR-15 lower is assembled in detail
    - How to work with aluminium
    - How to spell aluminum right
    - How to track metal filing through the house on the wood floors

... next I get to learn how to refinish wood floors.

no end to the fun :)

tailboardtech

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2011
    upperco
    Exactly...its all about doing it yourself.

If I added up the costs including my mistakes so far....well its not economical..but I learned:

- how the AR-15 lower is assembled in detail
    - How to work with aluminium
    - How to spell aluminum right
    - How to track metal filing through the house on the wood floors
    -How they remove aluminum shaving from your eye
    ... next I get to learn how to refinish wood floors.

no end to the fun :)

added one for ya and i was wearing safety glasses too

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    Only if you do something that is also illegal for full up ar15's or lowers, or make with the intent to sell.

IAW the GCA (fed law) manufacture of a firearm for personal use is legal as long as you can legally own the end product.

IAW the GCA a firearm only has to be marked if you transfer it, and in that case the requirements for marking are spread out. (also applies if you NFA it)

IAW GCA homebuilt firearms can be transferred, ie you make one and in a couple of years decide to sell or giveaway, you can as long as it it is marked accordingly.

There is/was no md law governing homebuild or one that requires registration. But you have to be able own said rifle end configuration. Unless something changed this year.

So the only way you do time is by doing something that is illegal to do to a rifle transferred through an ffl.

You should read the relevant portions of the GCA and md law for yourself prior to proceeding though.

stevegee58

Spooky
    Aug 5, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    If you buy a finished lower receiver it's considered a regulated firearm even though it's only part of one. So you have to buy it through a licensed dealer (FFL) with the corresponding background check, waiting period, etc.

If you buy an 80% lower receiver you can take direct delivery of it without an FFL. In fact all the rest of the parts of an AR-15 can be purchased without an FFL as well. When you personally finish the 80% lower receiver to make it 100% working and put it together with the rest of the parts (barrel, trigger parts etc) you have a working AR-15. As long as you keep it for your own use you don't have to report it to anyone.

It's completely legal.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    If you buy a finished lower receiver it's considered a regulated firearm even though it's only part of one. So you have to buy it through a licensed dealer (FFL) with the corresponding background check, waiting period, etc.

If you buy an 80% lower receiver you can take direct delivery of it without an FFL. In fact all the rest of the parts of an AR-15 can be purchased without an FFL as well. When you personally finish the 80% lower receiver to make it 100% working and put it together with the rest of the parts (barrel, trigger parts etc) you have a working AR-15. As long as you keep it for your own use you don't have to report it to anyone.

It's completely legal.
    Okay, Im confused. I have to go through a 7 day waiting period to purchase a STRIPPED LOWER from an FFL in MD. , but I can buy an 80% without doing any of this. That's how I read what you are saying. Please explain. Something just doesn't add up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom