• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I don't know if that was three judges or the entire panel but they will ask for reconsideration and request the entire circuit of judges. Then they will appeal to the Supreme Court. I don't think it will make it in until October's term. The new anti gun Sotamayor should be on by then. Then we will have to sweat bullets. Obama may just think he is king and try and undo all the pro gun laws in the nation.

I wish the NY case got there first because if it did then maybe Sotamayor will recuse herself because she was on that lower court.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Just a side note:

I HAVE yelled "Fire" in a crowded theater, even with law enforcement present and no fire. The law does NOT refrain you from yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater, it does hold you accountable for any injuries/deaths as a result of your actions.

Some still do not get it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    My first thought was "o God should I even bother?" Then I thought sure lets see what's going on. So I get there and almost the first entry I see is some do-do head spouting off statistics about all the people who are killed with guns etc etc so I decide to sign up and post some real stats from the CDC (or at least more real than the Brady bunch stats)

Guess what? - you can't just sign up and post. It takes one to three days for the moderators to "approve" you. So I'm guessing they will do a little research and find out that I'm one of those gun nuts who like to quote all kinds of factual stuff that's going to cause so much grief on their forum and I either:

a) won't be allowed to post or
    b) I'll be allowed to post until some liberatard complains that I'm using NRA spin tactics to distort the truth.

Of course once I start bashing on the Sun for misreporting the facts of their own poll I'm definitely getting shut down.

This should be an interesting experiment to watch.

:popcorn:

I think the three day wait is to prevent spammers and bots.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    The day the supreme court decides that the Constitution does not necissarily apply, it will be an ugly day..... I hope anyhow. Because if we let them get away with that, it's all over.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    OK - So let me ask you all this. Humor me cause I'm a bit slow.

The 18th amendment made the manufacture, sale, import and and export of alcohol illegal. It applied to all the sates - not just federal juristrictions.

The 20th amendment says: right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

"Shall not be denied..." This applies to the citizens, the people of the United States.

So if these Amendments apply to the States, why wouldn't the 2nd Amendment?

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    OK - So let me ask you all this. Humor me cause I'm a bit slow.

The 18th amendment made the manufacture, sale, import and and export of alcohol illegal. It applied to all the sates - not just federal juristrictions.

The 20th amendment says: right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

"Shall not be denied..." This applies to the citizens, the people of the United States.

So if these Amendments apply to the States, why wouldn't the 2nd Amendment?
    Because they don't want it to? I mean if it was a law they liked there would be no question but this one they don't.

We're now a nation of mob rule, that whole Republic, rule of law thing is ancient history...

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Look at www.constitution.org

Rights, Powers and Duties
    On every question of construction [of the Constitution] let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or intended against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.
    — Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), letter to Judge William Johnson, (from Monticello, June 12, 1823)

If, in the opinion of the people, the distribution or modification of the constitutional powers be in any particular wrong, let it be corrected by an amendment in the way which the Constitution designates. But let there be no change by usurpation; for though this, in one instance, may be the instrument of good, it is the customary weapon by which free governments are destroyed.
    — George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government.
    — James Madison

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Potestas stricte interpretatur. A power is strictly interpreted.

In dubiis, non praesumitur pro potentia. In cases of doubt, the presumption is not in favor of a power.

redduck21502

Oct 19, 2007
    Cumberland, MD
    Look at www.constitution.org

Rights, Powers and Duties
    On every question of construction [of the Constitution] let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or intended against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.
    — Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), letter to Judge William Johnson, (from Monticello, June 12, 1823)

If, in the opinion of the people, the distribution or modification of the constitutional powers be in any particular wrong, let it be corrected by an amendment in the way which the Constitution designates. But let there be no change by usurpation; for though this, in one instance, may be the instrument of good, it is the customary weapon by which free governments are destroyed.
    — George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government.
    — James Madison

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Potestas stricte interpretatur. A power is strictly interpreted.

In dubiis, non praesumitur pro potentia. In cases of doubt, the presumption is not in favor of a power.

That last part from James Madison really contradicts the whole "Living Document" arguement that they like to portray when it comes to the 2nd Amendment. This stuff should be standard reading when a person wants to enter politics. That way they would not be knowingly ignorant of what they are doing.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    That last part from James Madison really contradicts the whole "Living Document" arguement that they like to portray when it comes to the 2nd Amendment. This stuff should be standard reading when a person wants to enter politics. That way they would not be knowingly ignorant of what they are doing.

redduck. I was thinking along the same lines. As I spend more and more
    time researching the Founders all this becomes more clear to me.
    Huh, guess what, I'm not a politician or lawyer and its evadent to me
    what the Constitution means and the Bill of Rights and what individual
    'Rights" are.

BASIC PRINCIPLES... freedom of men under government is to have a standing rule to live by, common to every one of that society, and made by the legislative power erected in it. A liberty to follow my own will in all things where that rule prescribes not, not to be subject to the inconstant, uncertain, unknown, arbitrary will of another man, ..."
    — John Locke, Second Treatise, Ch. 4 § 21.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
    — Frederick Douglass, civil rights activist, Aug. 4, 1857

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Just got this email from HumanEvents.com We know is a load of bull but here is
    what is said.

The National Rifle Association sued the City of Chicago, Illinois and Village of Oak Park, Illinois so citizens could protect themselves with handguns.

We lost. Gun ban won. The word came down June 2, 2009.

These two municipalities ban the possession of most handguns. But you are probably thinking we won in Washington, DC with the Heller case didn’t we? Didn’t that clear the right to own a handgun to protect yourself?

No. Here is why:

The courts felt that Washington, DC and the Heller case dealt with law enacted under the authority of the national government, while Chicago and Oak Park are subordinate bodies of state.

In short, courts are deciding the Constitution of the United States and the 2nd Amendment doesn’t apply to the entirety of the United States of America.

Beware:

1. This decision will be used around the country to ban you owning a gun.
    2. Courts will decide that the 2nd Amendment will only apply to long guns because they better serve the intent of the Founding Fathers in that guns are for a citizen militia and long guns serve that purpose. Therefore handguns are unnecessary to the security of a free State according to the language of the Amendment.
    3. States will argue that they are independent of the federal government and can ignore the Bill of Rights, as they successfully did in Chicago.

What is your response?

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

Thanks. I was wondering how this case would be presented by Alan Gura.

His Question "Presented"..
    Whether the Second Ammendment "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" is
    incorporated as against the States by the 14th Ammendment's Priveges
    or Immunties or Due Process Clauses.

Althought I've just read all this, I see Mr Alan Gura makes a very compelling
    argument. The idea that the Circuit courts aren't in agreement is one
    presentation. There also is disagreements on wheather the states are
    incorporated or not, especially with respect to the 1st 8 Ammendments.
    His case seems IMHO justified.
    He is looking for SCOTUS to overturn the Slaughter-House case and overrule. He says wrongfully decided.

My questions is: What effect will the have on us or the state laws, in states that haven't any language of RTKBA in state consitutions as in Maryland?? ( if he succeeds in winning)
    there are sevent that I know of. I have a bunch of thoughts on other issues but more later.

Not sure if we should have another thread on this ...
    Moderators... what is your thoughts?

I would like to see the SCOTUS put into writing any registration of firearms is
    not constitutional... But we will see.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Overturning the slaughterhouse cases? Might be funny if the judges that ruled against Heller vote to overturn the Chicago gun ban because it is the chance to overturn the understanding of the Slaughterhouse case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom