• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    What sort of performance can one expect from this sub-$1K rifle in .308? I've never fired a rifle before so please keep whatever lingo you'll use watered down the best you can. I'm clueless when it comes to rifles and the reason for this thread is because of the History channel shows on sniping this morning - sorta tickled my interest there.

I was able to find this review...

http://www.700rifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=644

Thanks!
    :thumbsup:

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Should be a sub-moa rifle without a doubt as long as the shooter does his part. With the 26" barrel it should provide enough velocity to get a 308 out to 1000 yds. If you're looking to just go to the range and plink with it, there are far cheaper guns that will hold sub-moa. If you're looking to start to learn distance shooting or competing in f-class, it's a good starting point for the price.

MadeInAmerica

mia.wvs2s
    Aug 21, 2012
    In America
    you can get a 700SPS for under 600
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...7_981/products_id/97359/Remington+700+SPS+308
    i just bought a Weatherby for 636 cash from an IP, i get it wed/thurs
    drop a nice scope and your under 1k :)
    I dont know if your interested in the 700 the articles just talked about the... police or military vers?( i didnt read i just took a glance :p)
    performance wise i guess its hard to find a bolt action that will let you down

just for kicks i saw the bourne legacy while in californiways
    http://www.nemesisarms.com/products.php Just need some blues and greens and your set.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    The 700P is an amazing rifle. The trigger is crisp and light. With mine I can shoot quarters at 100 yds or groups that touch. You won't be sorry you bought it. The military version is called the 5R Milspec. It too is a fine rifle but they come in stainless steel. I like the look of the 700P. The 700SPS isn't in the same class as the 700P.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I have owned 3 of them and they would all shoot 1/2" or better 10 shot groups at 100 yds. Remington's custom shop requires 3/4" or better groups from their .308 rifles with proper loads. The PSS will do that without the custom shop price.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    What would test your accuracy skills more? A .308 700P with a fine optic and stretching it to distance? Or, a bolt action .22LR (thinking CZ line up here) with iron sights stretching it out at a tin can?

Thanks.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    What would test your accuracy skills more? A .308 700P with a fine optic and stretching it to distance? Or, a bolt action .22LR (thinking CZ line up here) with iron sights stretching it out at a tin can?

Thanks.

Probably the distance shooting. You need to take alot into account. Wind speed, bullet drop, distance, and various other factors. Plus you need to do the exact same thing each time so you don't affect the path the bullet takes. Learning marksmanship fundamentals with a .22 is a great way to start. They're inexpensive to shoot and don't have the recoil or noise of larger calibers. Not to mention that a .22 is really fun to shoot. I have a long standing blood feud with tin cans and their pop can accomplices. Iron sight shooting is different than optic shooting. Optics allow you to be more precise. You still have to do your part, but you're able to aim at a smaller part of the target. I enjoy both disciplines equally well. They have their individual challenges.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Here is one for you; the 700P or PSS is a great entry gun into distance shooting.

I have a fixed power 10x Super Sniper on this one.

c35d8b93.jpg

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Precision shooting rifles are completely a different animal than handguns. I am an experienced rifle shooter, but my shooting has always been off hand plinker, historic, or battle rifles. I am new to precision. That said some of my best rifle days have been nestled behind the 700P. It is the second favorite gun I own.

If this is your first rifle, I would with caveat say, stay away. You will have to find a scope that matches the accuracy of a 700, add rings, bipod, and a scope base. That package is not cheap, nor is match ammo. My 700 came with a terrible stock which should be replaced, that is not an inexpensive endeavor either.

A first rifle IMHO should be something easy you can learn on and enjoy shooting without breaking the bank. The 700 (mine at least) is set for match ammo. It is only bench rest, so you lose some versatility developing rifle marksmanship. A CZ .22 would be a better introduction.

The caveat is the 700 is a fantastic rifle you will enjoy. There are other comparable Savage offerings, but it is tough to beat the 700. At that point it is personal preference.

I guess, my question is what do you want to do? It is not a trainer rifle. I am not saying it is “expert only”, but to push it, you have to know rifles.
    Welcome to rifles. They are great fun!

If you want a rifle experience and live near Myrtle Grove you can shoot my 10/22 and 700p to see which one you enjoy more.

Mine:)
    img6163c.jpg

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    700PSS here. Crazy accurate outta the box. Cant compare it to a .22 tho. Totally different purpose, price, experience

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Thank you gentlemen for the input so far. Admittedly, now knowing what the associated expenditure might be, I don't want to get "in it" too much right now. I've been down that road before a few times and it's about time I learned my lesson. I'll listen to BlueHeeler's advice on that one for now - and thanks for the invite!

I'm in intrigued with the idea of .22LR rifle. I think it's more in-line with what I had in mind - I just want to see if I'm any good with a basic rifle and sights.

Thanks again to you all!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    RaVis,

IF you can find a Remington 541-T or 541-S, in .22 lr, you won't ever let it go!

They have the look and feel of the centerfire model 700, but, you can shoot for hours and hours on the fantastic .22 lr round.

A centerfire rifle (nowadays) is going to run 'about' $1K for rifle and good optics (didn't say 'great optics'!), along with mount and rings.

My wonderful wife bought a Remington 700 SPS Tactical -AAC SD for me, a year ago, and I still haven't decided what mount and scope to get. (The rings are a no-brainer. Leupold Mk IV rings will be used!)
    Still, this beautiful rifle is nestled comfortably in the gun safe, waiting to be completed.

Decisions. Decisions. Evolution Gun Works ("EGW") mount??? Leupold mount??? :shrug:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    If you just want to learn rifle basics, a marlin xt-22 is a great option for that, in either tube fed or magazine. I've known people to do head to head shoots (informal, mind you), with the xt-22 and the 452, and find that both preform equally well, with some even leaning towards the marlin! Can be had for under 200 and come in variety of fits and finishes that should meet any personal taste, wood, plastic, blued, stainless, etc. Plus, they come with user adjustable triggers, which I absolutely love the feel of. I can't wait to put tech sights on mine and turn it into a real tack driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom