• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Not sure how they got the number, but that’s a estimate provided by NSSF

also estimate that 28m+ firearms that are considered assault weapons, by a2a standards

edit: 700m over 10… not 900m

Last edited:

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Those numbers seem extraordinarily low.

The real freak-out comes when you tell the Antis how much ammunition is on hand/owned/stored in the civilian firearm community.

A truly staggering amount of potential energy.

Check my math, but isn't 700 million magazines divided by 28 million guns 25 mags for each gun.

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    But not everyone in America owns guns, if you were calculating 700 mil divided by USA population.

And not everyone owns guns that can use a magazine with > 10 round capacity. There are a lot of revolvers, lever guns, bolt actions, 1911s, etc out there.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    Yes, because that math was easy AND misleading at the same time.

BTW, just what is the point of the article about 700+million mags with capacity greater than 10 rounds anyway?

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Your math is invalid. It’s not just mag fed Rifles … 28m is just estimate of mag fed rifles… PISTOLS not included

A large number of pistolas are > 10.

that said… the math of 25/rifle fits some people. Ditto for pistols

Those numbers seem extraordinarily low.

The real freak-out comes when you tell the Antis how much ammunition is on hand/owned/stored in the civilian firearm community.

A truly staggering amount of potential energy.

Check my math, but isn't 700 million magazines divided by 28 million guns 25 mags for each gun.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    I believe the point is that…

if the SCOTUS said 200 thousand stun/taser units constituted common use and thus protected,

28m mag fed rifles and 700m mags >10 also constitute common use. And therefore protected, at least that would seem to be the implication

Yes, because that math was easy AND misleading at the same time.

BTW, just what is the point of the article about 700+million mags with capacity greater than 10 rounds anyway?

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Considering how many people have no firearms at all, that puts the real average quite a bit higher. Exclude the 2 mags with a single glock type owner, that leaves MDS folk "averages"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not sure how they got the number, but that’s a estimate provided by NSSF

also estimate that 28m+ firearms that are considered assault weapons, by a2a standards

edit: 700m over 10… not 900m
    28 million that they know about. I would estimate that there are close to that built from 80% .

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Now let's calculate the amount of ammunition held by American firearm enthusiasts.

High millions? Low billions?
    Just guessing but I'd say I have 15K+ rounds of various cailbers, including 22LR, laying around plus the capacity to load a couple thousand more. It's fluid, I'll by some, shoot some, reload some. More son is probably in a similar position. I know lots of people with a lot more than that laying around so the total has to be up in the billions. One day when I'm bored I'll count them

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Rounds has to be well into the billions. Back in the glory days of the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot, I saw many people purchase and fire at least 100k per person/gun in a weekend. There had to be many millions in a few days - semi trailers full. That does not count the stuff loaded up to take home. There were paper barrels of magazines of all kinds for single digit prices. Who knows how much stuff was sold there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom