• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Hello all. I am looking to start loading 7.7 jap. I am having trouble finding projectiles. I have located some 174 grain .311 303 caliber PPU. Has anyone have any experience loading these? I do not have a way to slug my barrel unfortunately. The type 99 I have is in great shape and I believe it is an early model. I was originally looking to use .312 diameter tips (174gr.) but can’t seem to locate any. Any have experience with this caliber??

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I haven't loaded for it but one of my friends does and he uses the Brit projectiles in it that he uses in his enfields. If you want top accuracy, you will have to measure the bore but if you want minute of propane tank (like he does) you should be fine.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    No experience. I bought 1000s of .312 203gr FMJ projectiles from gunbroker over the years, that were listed/advertised as 7.7jap pulls. I resize them to .309 and use them for subsonic 300 blackout.

I've never seen any load data for them, only the 180 and lighter grain bullets..

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Try ammoseek.com for components and ammoguide.com for load data. The latter is a paid site, but is an insignificant price to pay considering what it contains. I just looked and "Found 31 loads for the 7.7mm Japanese".

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I handload 7.7 jap. I use prvi cases and 4350 powder. Sometimes I use Imr 4064.
    7.7 ‘s have metford rifling in them so
    even with all that often I load with Hornady spitzers which tend to set up and shoot very well. (312’s they are)
    Neck size you fired brass from rifle and keep them with that one.
    A better way to find a nice cast bullet fit is to pound cast the end of the chamber beginning of the throat rather than slugging the bore.
    I suspect wild variances in chamber finishing characteristics particularly the shoulder area ,just based off the rifles I currently mess with.
    One of them is (gasp) a sporter with a full length barrel. Shoots great.
    I wouldn’t suspect a problem with .311 prvi pills. They also shoot great in a lot of worn rifles I have because of the bullet envelope is soft I think. They have enfield cut rifling systems though.
    A lot of shooters have reported successful shooting in worn metford barrels with Prvi bullets vs even cast bullets on other forums.
    I wouldn’t worry about it until I tried them out. Around 2400 fps or so is where you want to be for a jap ottomh even though they tried to blow them up a bunch back in the day.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    We use Prvi .303 bullets in our Type 99 LMG reloads. We also use pulled 7.62x54R bullets when we can get them.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Thanks all. This is good info. I think I will try the .311 and see what kind of accuracy I can get. If I’m all over, I will need .312’s etc. I just plan on shooting this one from time to time. It was a being back I bought from someone, paperwork and all. Great condition. Love it. I also have a 33 that I need to work out loads for. Just need more free time!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Just know that if you don't get enough pressure on a fully sized case, you can get blowby back and up the vent hole on the top of the reciever. I had started low when doing my development and wearing a hat I could feel it. kept working up the load till it stopped and the accuracy also got better of course.
    I don't trust diameter on a PPU bullet. So many of them I found can be undersized. Double check when you get them.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Not hard to slug it. Just drive a slightly oversized lead ball/bullet through the barrel. I’ll give you a lead .32 if you’ll be at the HoCo show Sunday.

Lord, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. I was thinking I needed cerrosafe or something. I’ve got round balls. Thanks for mentioning that. I think in my head I was thinking chambercasting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom