• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Wow, 1,000 rounds delivered for $375 is not bad at all. Looks like they also have 880 crates of 7.62x54r for $199 delivered. Great website, thanks!

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    I paid $185 shipped for a 7.62x54R 880 Crate a couple months ago, but I jumped on the $199 delivered today. Thanks!

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    If you keep your eyes open, you can still find 7.62x54R cheap. I just picked up 880 delivered for about $165 if I remember correctly. Deals are still out there, just getting harder to find.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    What I can't figure out:

With all the cheap milsurp 7.62x54R out there, shouldn't there be a GIGATON of milsurp 7.62x39? I mean, it was the Soviet go-to military round for half a century, used by the most prolifically produced small arm in history, and had to have been produced in far greater quantities than 54R.

I can buy a case of 880 54R's for under $200, delivered - 7.62x39 should be half that price!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Copes has 7.62x54R spam cans for $90 each and the shipping is flat rate $10.

What I can't figure out:

With all the cheap milsurp 7.62x54R out there, shouldn't there be a GIGATON of milsurp 7.62x39? I mean, it was the Soviet go-to military round for half a century, used by the most prolifically produced small arm in history, and had to have been produced in far greater quantities than 54R.

That's because Soviet 7.62x39 is steel core. According to the ATF, 7.62x39 is a handgun round, so surplus 7.62x39 with steel core is AP handgun ammo. AP handgun ammo is banned from importation.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    That's because Soviet 7.62x39 is steel core. According to the ATF, 7.62x39 is a handgun round, so surplus 7.62x39 with steel core is AP handgun ammo. AP handgun ammo is banned from importation.

You can blame Olympic Arms for this:
    http://www.thegunzone.com/762x39.html

Holy $%&#!, I knew NOTHING about that. What a ridiculous, bureaucratic a$$hole move on the BATF's part. I don't blame Olympic entirely for this - this is pure malicious, bureaucratic rulemaking that proves the adage "laws will be bent by the government to their advantage as far as they can get away with it." We all know that ANY rifle cartridge "could" be made into a handgun round, and probably has been, by somebody at some time, regardless of practicality - what B.S.!!!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Holy $%&#!, I knew NOTHING about that. What a ridiculous, bureaucratic a$$hole move on the BATF's part. I don't blame Olympic entirely for this - this is pure malicious, bureaucratic rulemaking that proves the adage "laws will be bent by the government to their advantage as far as they can get away with it." We all know that ANY rifle cartridge "could" be made into a handgun round, and probably has been, by somebody at some time, regardless of practicality - what B.S.!!!

In the early 90's, Chinese, Russian, and East German steel core ammo was dirt cheap (like less than a cent a round in some cases), and they couldn't let Americans get cheap ammo. Someone did show me some East German ammo they bought back then. The steel core bullet was pulled and replaced with a lead core one prior to it being imported. SGAmmo recently had some Russian ammo that had the same thing done. Apparently it was imported on a government contract that fell through, so the bullets had to be replaced so it could be sold to civilians.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom