• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I'm thinking about building an AR in this caliber. I will be primarily using corrosive milsurp. Do you guys have any tips on cleaning things like the gas tube after firing corrosive ammo?

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    This! :thumbsup:

The Ballistol and water mix works great for cleaning corrosive. I use it when cleaning my Mosin and my AK after shooting corrosive ammo.

Ditto. Though the water is the important part. The 1/9 Ballistol/water mix is great if you're going to the range, and want to clean the rifle there; since the Ballistol will leave a film of oil on the gun after the water evaporates. If you're going to clean the gun when you get home, you can just rinse well with regular tap water and clean as usual. The important thing is to have the water dissolve the metalic salts used in the corrosive primers.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I really hope you aren't serious
    The gas tube is self-cleaning in the sense that it carbon doesn't get stuck in it. The rest of the gun, not so much. But AR-15s can also run very dirty if properly lubed, so, eh, who cares?

I've never heard of a corroded gas tube in a 5.45x39 AR-15, but I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility. Of course, how much does the tube cost to replace? I would think very little, assuming you had the tools to get it out to begin with.

SSSQuid

Oct 22, 2011
    Fort George G. Meade
    Can anyone offer up some legitimate advice? So I dropped off my fathers Eagle Arms AR at my local gunsmith in MI to get serviced and upgraded perhaps that he got some time ago in the '80s as he passed in April 22nd, 1990. Well they called me today and informed me, and questioned me, that this AR goes full auto. Well the owner told me that he has to report it and so long as I tell "them" the same thing I told him that I should be ok. I know I never did anything to this weapon and definitely not mod it to go full auto! I have a CCW in MI and I guess my question is how much trouble could I really be in? It's not legally mine and I have not taken possession of it, except to drop it off. Obviously I did not know anything about it otherwise I definitely would not have dropped it off at a gunsmith! So does anyone have any bits of wisdom for me?

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Can anyone offer up some legitimate advice? So I dropped off my fathers Eagle Arms AR at my local gunsmith in MI to get serviced and upgraded perhaps that he got some time ago in the '80s as he passed in April 22nd, 1990. Well they called me today and informed me, and questioned me, that this AR goes full auto. Well the owner told me that he has to report it and so long as I tell "them" the same thing I told him that I should be ok. I know I never did anything to this weapon and definitely not mod it to go full auto! I have a CCW in MI and I guess my question is how much trouble could I really be in? It's not legally mine and I have not taken possession of it, except to drop it off. Obviously I did not know anything about it otherwise I definitely would not have dropped it off at a gunsmith! So does anyone have any bits of wisdom for me?

:eek: You should definitely start a thread for that question. 2A sub-forum I guess. Not sure what to tell you but there are some very knowledgeable people on here who I'm sure can give you much advice. I'm not a legal professional or an AR guy.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Does it go full-auto or is it set to full-auto. If it "goes" it could be a hammer spring installed backywards. If it's set up to fire full-auto. Lawyer up!

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Remember. Don't talk to the Po' Po'. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

I will admit it is a rather strange post :lol2:

or how something could inadvertently look like it was capable of FA. But like I said, i'm not an AR guy or an NFA guy and I would NEVER even begin to theorize on illegal NFA conversions. Or is it possible his father had a preban NFA item and never put it in any sort of will or something? Don't go getting my tinfoil hat all in a bunch haha.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD

That owner doesn't have to report shit and you don't have to prove shit. Go up there and get your property back. Take a lawyer if need be.

May 13, 2005
    After shooting your AK with corrosive ammo, just drop it in the nearest body of water and swish it around. Then take it home and clean it like you normally would. Grease it well. They are AKs. It's a warhorse. It will survive.

the Javid

Part time baby killer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bowie
    Except he said it is an AR and not an AK. My friend uses windex and a bore snake to clean his mosin after shooting corrosive ammo. Hope that helps. Also to the guy with the auto weapon, is it possible to fill out the nfa paper work for a" machinegun"? I believe if you put in the serial number of the weapon and if it's made before a certain date you should be ok right?

ampdog

Feb 25, 2009
    "Gun Scrubber", strong stuff, does the work for you.

Don't sleep on the corrosive ammo, you must clean after use. If it sits for a week or two you will be sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom