• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Since I have some time on my hands and I happen to have a lot of IMR4895 and I'm picking up 100 of these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/27...iber-308-diameter-150-grain-spitzer-box-of-50 I'm thinking that if I can match the speed of ball ammo for both of them I won't have to adjust my sights in the unlikely event that a deer happens to cross paths with me with either rifle. The two rifles are a Model of 1917 and an Ishapore 2a1. Does anyone perchance have the amount of IMR4895 needed to push that 150gr bullet to 2700 fps or so? Money and range time are pretty tight, so I'm trying to get as close as possible before sending rounds down range with a chronograph.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Same velocity will NOT give you the same trajectory.

Those Nosler bullets have a ballistic coeffcient of 0.435. A Hornady 147 gr FMJ-BT has a BC of 0.398

Not huge differences, but you need to understand that there are differences.

Between those two bullets with the same muzzle velocity, you are looking at over an inch difference at 400 yards. Again, not a huge difference, but you need to be aware of it.

Also, it is NOT a good idea to use anyones posted load. What is safe in their rifle may not be safe yours.

You need to start with a lower charge and work up to the level you want, paying attention for pressure signs.

Take the posted load above, according to Hodgon (who sells IMR 4895) the MAX load for .308 is 46.5 grains behind a 150 gr Nosler, and that this is a compressed load.

If so, the 47.5 grains recommended above could be a SERIOUS mistake.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for pointing that out, Pinecone. I do have three reloading manuals, I do double check anything I read. 47.5gr of IMR4895 will fill the case of the smaller cartridge, so that doesn't make sense. Looking at the data, it seems 42.5gr of IMR4895 would be the proper charge weight for what I'm attempting.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Just as a reference I'm running 42.1 of 4895 over a nosler 155 not the hottest load but very accurate out of my M1A. For an 06 you will likely be 46.5-47.5 again as pinecone said you should work you own loads up as YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom