• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spartan1771

Bring me the gun of Rambo
    I recently got my C&R and just purchased an Arisaka Type 38, complete with mum and dust cover. I got the rifle today and it looks great, but I am having a very hard time finding ammo for it. Does anyone know where I can find a few boxes for a halfway decant price? I don't plan to fire it very often, but I would still like to have some ammo for it. I've also heard that anything higher then a 140 grain round isn't good for the rifle. Can anyone confirm that?

Any and all help will be most appreciated.

Regards,

~Rob

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Irony at it's best. I just pulled my T-38 out of the back of my safe for tomorrow's range trip. :)

Factory ammo made by Norma, Hornady and Prvi is usually scarce and expensive. Like many other obsolete rounds, 6.5x50J is a caliber best suited for loading your own.

I've loaded Prvi brass w/ Prvi 139 gr/.264 bullets. They work well. The original vintage rounds were loaded w/ 160 gr bullets. But the more "modern" round calls for 139 gr. With the correct bullet and powder there should be few reasons the correct round could not be duplicated with reloads: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5x50mm_Arisaka

Good luck on your quest for ammo. T-38's can be fun shooters.

:thumbsup:

P.S. Another irony is I "think" I scored a bag of Prvi 6.5x50J cases from Graf's when they came back into stock a few days ago. We'll see...:fingerscrossed:

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    I recently got my C&R and just purchased an Arisaka Type 38, complete with mum and dust cover. I got the rifle today and it looks great,

:needpics:
    Not to hijack the thread, but what is a mum? I see it mentioned alot concerning the Arisaka's and have not yet figured out what the heck it is.
    Nevermind , my googlefu worked tonight. should have used it prior to asking.

Last edited:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Not trying to be one of those overly PC types, here, but in case folks don't realize it, the term "Jap" is kind of offensive to many Americans of Japanese descent. (It's also offensive to a lot of women living in "Longuyland" NY, but for different reasons.)

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    :needpics:
    Not to hijack the thread, but what is a mum? I see it mentioned alot concerning the Arisaka's and have not yet figured out what the heck it is.
    Nevermind , my googlefu worked tonight. should have used it prior to asking.

The chrysanthemum flower ("mum") was a symbol for the Emperor of Japan, and was the Imperial Seal of Japan.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The chrysanthemum flower ("mum") was a symbol for the Emperor of Japan, and was the Imperial Seal of Japan.

From what I have been told the Mums were ground off of the rifles that were confiscated/captured at the end of the war as a way to show respect to the Emperor. The ones with intact Mums were more probably captured during the war. Not sure if this is 100% true, but it sounded good.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    TO: MACHODOC

AHhhhhhhh...hahahahaha......living out here in Carroll County for the past 8 yrs, I have not heard that referance to an American for many many years......probably since the last time I dated one for 3 months....:-) about 35 yrs ago :-)

Spartan1771

Bring me the gun of Rambo
    Not trying to be one of those overly PC types, here, but in case folks don't realize it, the term "Jap" is kind of offensive to many Americans of Japanese descent. (It's also offensive to a lot of women living in "Longuyland" NY, but for different reasons.)

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I posted "Jap" because that is how it is advertised on a lot of sites, including Gun Broker. This thread is about ammunition, not people, and I think everyone in here pretty much realizes that.

Anyway...................................

Thanks for all the responses and resources!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm not trying to offend anyone. I posted "Jap" because that is how it is advertised on a lot of sites, including Gun Broker. This forum is about ammunition, not people, and I think everyone in here pretty much realizes that.

Anyway...................................

Thanks for all the responses and resources!

It has to say Jap, Japanese won't fit on the cartridge head:)

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    the term "Jap" is kind of offensive to many Americans of Japanese descent.

It's a perfectly norma term of address...

images

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I just contacted Mac's Guns about some 7.7 and was pleasantly surprised at the price and availability. He also sent me a list of available reproduction parts for the 38's and 99's.

http://www.macsguns.com/

E-Mail: macsguns@ptsi.net

Not to hijack the thread, but Mac is a good source for loaded ammo and/or cases for several obscure calibers as I've posted before.

Now here's the "hijack": My T38 made a range trip at last weekend's Hooligan Easter shoot. My rifle is very accurate with my loads to a 3" group at 50 yds, It even took out some bowling pins to boot. :party29:

An issue with shooting and reloading 6.5x50J (like many WWII C&R rifles) is the rifle's oversized chamber. Like shooting .303B in most Enfields, cases will expand a LOT. That's OK. if you just only neck-size those cases (for that rifle) they'll shoot even better next time and they will have much longer case life.

;)

Attachments

• T-38 DSC08756.jpg
      T-38 DSC08756.jpg
      68.4 KB · Views: 218

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Not to hijack the thread, but Mac is a good source for loaded ammo and/or cases for several obscure calibers as I've posted before.

Now here's the "hijack": My T38 made a range trip at last weekend's Hooligan Easter shoot. My rifle is very accurate with my loads to a 3" group at 50 yds, It even took out some bowling pins to boot. :party29:

An issue with shooting and reloading 6.5x50J (like many WWII C&R rifles) is the rifle's oversized chamber. Like shooting .303B in most Enfields, cases will expand a LOT. That's OK. if you just only neck-size those cases (for that rifle) they'll shoot even better next time and they will have much longer case life.;)

Thanks for that info, you must have read my mind. Now that I've got some 7.7 ammo coming, getting a set of dies is the next step and I was wondering which route (neck only or full length) was the way to go.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Thanks for that info, you must have read my mind. Now that I've got some 7.7 ammo coming, getting a set of dies is the next step and I was wondering which route (neck only or full length) was the way to go.

If it has already been fired in the rifle that it's going to be used in again, neck sizing is fine for a bolt action rifle. But if it may be fired in another rifle, or if it's to be fired in a semi-auto or full-auto, full-length sizing is the smart way to go.

Some may argue that just neck sizing for a semi auto is fine for a round that was last fired in the same piece, but if you value the firearm, it's safer to full-length size the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom