• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Was the mall shooting your inspiration? Kinda remarkable in many ways.

You did well. Are you going to make this a regular drill?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I dunno, I counted 16 seconds and the Mall guy reportedly did it in 15 seconds. Kind of disappointing.

Only kidding. Great job. And the hit in the shoulder looks like two holes, not one, so you can add another hit.

Thanks for posting.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Dude, that's a 50% target. You actually landed those shots from 100 yards away! :thumbsup:

slyitry

Jul 28, 2009
    Thanks for the responses..........Although to tell the truth I was surprised I hit the paper at all. When I saw a shot in the center I was like maybe I don't suck as bad as I thought I did but in the end I know it was just luck! I do plan to make this more of a regular drill but with my airguns. Alot cheaper to shoot and more gratifying when you hit a target at distance.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Whenever I'm out at AGC action shooting practice, I make a habit of doing the 50yd rifle stage with my pistol, just like how I always run the pistol stage one-handed at least once. You can't rely on skills you don't practice... the opportunities are out there.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'll have to try this with a lowly glock but here is my Kimber from a while back @ 50 yards and 12" (wide) torso target
    A little bit slower

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks for the responses..........Although to tell the truth I was surprised I hit the paper at all. When I saw a shot in the center I was like maybe I don't suck as bad as I thought I did but in the end I know it was just luck! I do plan to make this more of a regular drill but with my airguns. Alot cheaper to shoot and more gratifying when you hit a target at distance.
    Good Job,

Another thing to think about with the Mall Samaritan. Sly is prepared and ready and waiting. No distractions so to speak. I imagine quite a bit of external stimuli, adrenaline, self protection thoughts of concealment, or bystander presence, all wrapped into a super brief time frame to neutralize a bad guy.

Hell of an outcome considering, he likely was acting on instinct and possible drilled practices to land the 8 shots.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Good Job,

Another thing to think about with the Mall Samaritan. Sly is prepared and ready and waiting. No distractions so to speak. I imagine quite a bit of external stimuli, adrenaline, self protection thoughts of concealment, or bystander presence, all wrapped into a super brief time frame to neutralize a bad guy.

Hell of an outcome considering, he likely was acting on instinct and possible drilled practices to land the 8 shots.
    With situational awareness around you, you are always prepared and "waiting". People are better off practicing close quarters defense shooting, because that's the distance it usually happens. 40 yards away, a person has options. 5 to 10 away, not so much.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good Job,

One thing to point out with the story now that police have released a lot more information, not all 8 shots landed were at the estimated 42 yards (they revised the distance estimate on closer review of the surveillance footage). IIRC from the police statement, he landed two shots, which effectively took the guy down, where upon the good guy advanced from partial concealment/support (a trash can) and continued firing on the bad guy as he had folded, but was still moving/a threat. So some of those shots were at a closer distance, but also at a smaller target (on the ground).

Unknown if that was landed two out of four shots, and then the next 6 were as the guy was on the ground or what. But all 10 shots fired were within 15 seconds and at least the first one or more were at ~42yds. Some of the shots were at a closer distance.

That is not take anything away from the skill, but I don't think it hurts to have clarity on the totality of the circumstances. Also good on him, that he didn't stop when the threat hadn't for sure ended.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    With situational awareness around you, you are always prepared and "waiting". People are better off practicing close quarters defense shooting, because that's the distance it usually happens. 40 yards away, a person has options. 5 to 10 away, not so much.

One thing to point out with the story now that police have released a lot more information, not all 8 shots landed were at the estimated 42 yards (they revised the distance estimate on closer review of the surveillance footage). IIRC from the police statement, he landed two shots, which effectively took the guy down, where upon the good guy advanced from partial concealment/support (a trash can) and continued firing on the bad guy as he had folded, but was still moving/a threat. So some of those shots were at a closer distance, but also at a smaller target (on the ground).

Unknown if that was landed two out of four shots, and then the next 6 were as the guy was on the ground or what. But all 10 shots fired were within 15 seconds and at least the first one or more were at ~42yds. Some of the shots were at a closer distance.

That is not take anything away from the skill, but I don't think it hurts to have clarity on the totality of the circumstances. Also good on him, that he didn't stop when the threat hadn't for sure ended.
    Blaster, I hear ya on the Situational, as I can see this as being vital and should be 99.9% at the forefront when one is carrying. Focus can be elsewhere when concentrating on other things, such as when painting your car in the shop, chopping up veggies in the kitchen "without slicing your fingers off" BUT in public and wearing your protection, I can see always being at the ready and not totally relaxed and essentially forget what your responsibility is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom