• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Anyone have one of the AR uppers for 5.7 FN? They look ugly but having a 50rd mag (albiet expensive) mag on the top would be handy and fun to shoot, ammo (of course we cant get the good stuff) is pricey but seems to be getting cheaper as the platform becomes more common.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    alucard did some calculating on reloadin back in the day with this upper...some people handled emm and said they felt cheap...i dunno. it's been posted from time to time with various reports. bascially most people just complain about them being so derned expensive but think dumping the casings out the magwell should make it easy to catch brass for reloading.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=6117&highlight=5.7+upper

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks, good thread. I like the brass catching potential for cleanliness around the shoot. Blowback operation, sort of like .22 hornet

Interesting thought about the government banning the round, given it is already detuned as is.

Ammo is about the same as brass cased .30 carbine.

Plus its got a unique factor, I have seen the lowers onsale fairly reasonably ($600 of late). I am thinking of picking one up for when I get those group buy lowers! Plus they seem to be available, I will make up my mind after Chantilly if i can get the mags reasonably

Small light, reasonable performance unique. Possible cross platform with a pistol down the road (politics willing).

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    You are better off with one of these
    I love mine

4460.jpg

iriden

Apr 16, 2008
    Aberdeen, MD
    every time I see one of those I laugh
    if anything it needs to become a SBR

freaking stargate gun
    when I first saw it on the show I though it was a fake gun

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ya the 5.7 AR upper is $670 dont think I could afford a PS90 (not sure I like the look or feel of it).

Not entirely sold but do like the concept of a compact, low recoil gun packing 50rds

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    Ya the 5.7 AR upper is $670 dont think I could afford a PS90 (not sure I like the look or feel of it).

Not entirely sold but do like the concept of a compact, low recoil gun packing 50rds

you better be good w/ those 50 shots. you can change mags very fast w/ a standard AR w/ 30rd mag.

the 5.7 upper is a cheap POS upper that feels like a toothpick. if you wanted to waste 670 then go ahead.

the PS90 is a badass weapon, think of a PS90 SBR hiding under your jacket, puts a new meaning to CCW w/ a 50 rd mag :party29:

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    every time I see one of those I laugh
    if anything it needs to become a SBR

freaking stargate gun
    when I first saw it on the show I though it was a fake gun

I agree - i hated the thing i until i actually picked it up
    I thought of going SB but it's just not worth the extra cost to me.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    you better be good w/ those 50 shots. you can change mags very fast w/ a standard AR w/ 30rd mag.

the 5.7 upper is a cheap POS upper that feels like a toothpick. if you wanted to waste 670 then go ahead.

the PS90 is a badass weapon, think of a PS90 SBR hiding under your jacket, puts a new meaning to CCW w/ a 50 rd mag :party29:

The entire reason I was looking at one was because of the possibility of having a .223 suppressor on it shooting 55gr handloads. There is such a small ammount of powder used to get 1500FPS out of a 55gr FMJ bullet, that it ought to be very quiet when suppressed, and having the ability to use a 30rd mag without the spring and follower as a brass catcher would make it perfect for varmints within 200yds, you can drop 50 of them, and leave without a trace. Of course most all reports on the upper state it is junk though:(

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    The entire reason I was looking at one was because of the possibility of having a .223 suppressor on it shooting 55gr handloads. There is such a small ammount of powder used to get 1500FPS out of a 55gr FMJ bullet, that it ought to be very quiet when suppressed, and having the ability to use a 30rd mag without the spring and follower as a brass catcher would make it perfect for varmints within 200yds, you can drop 50 of them, and leave without a trace. Of course most all reports on the upper state it is junk though:(

that has been tried and failed, 50 rds of spent brass being 'thrown randomly' into an empty mag will not stack up nice and pretty. some guy tried it and got like 20 something rounds before it kept jamming up the bolt.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    that has been tried and failed, 50 rds of spent brass being 'thrown randomly' into an empty mag will not stack up nice and pretty. some guy tried it and got like 20 something rounds before it kept jamming up the bolt.

In that case, either leave the floorplate off, and the brass falls into a neat pile on the ground, or tape a bag at the bottom of the mag, either way should work like a charm.

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    In that case, either leave the floorplate off, and the brass falls into a neat pile on the ground, or tape a bag at the bottom of the mag, either way should work like a charm.

that would be the smart thing to do, but these guys want to cut mags and use mesh bags. i guess the two mag look is in style. whatevers clever.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ok guys you talked me out of it, thats why I rely on you guys to talk me out of a bad gimic. The PS90 is definately too rich for my blood right now.

Afterall that is enough to buy a couple other good things.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    The PS90 is cash-and-carry and wasn't on last-year's AWB. It's weird because it doesn't have a pistol grip, flash hider, folding stock, or other "evil features". Its one "scary" feature is the armor-piercing ammo (only available to LE/military...) but overall it's not very "bannable" unless they just arbitrarily decide it's "scary."

Get other stuff first...

I would love one of these things, they're very ergonomic and comfortable to use. I know this will sound retarded but I had an Airsoft one for years and it was by far my favorite weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom