• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    I have a 17" M4 clone and a 20" heavy barrel A2 clone both in the 5.56 caliber. Both have been fed the 55 grain American Eagle brand. Only because i've been plinking at the range and not hunting or in competition. But lately I have noticed that both rifles have been ejecting the spent rounds down my shirt and not deflecting straight out 90 degrees or less. And the upper has the built in deflector.

Note: I am left eye dominate left hander, shooting left hand, with a right hand ejection port. Please don't criticize me. I went to youtube to see what I could find and came up empty handed. Also I noticed the youtube shooters casing are deflecting away from the shooter. With my 1911-A1 I can pull the extractor out, bend it and control the ejection direction. Can the AR, M4, M16 style rifle ejector be bent like the 1911? Thanks.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The AR has a plunger ejector and a fixed extractor so you cant really tune it to throw cases in a certain direction. There are many variables that determine where cases are thrown on an AR, but its generally related to bolt speed. Undergassed will usually throw cases rearward and overgassed will throw them forward.

If you have o ring extractor spring insert try removing it to see if it changes the ejection pattern. The orings should generally be avoided unless the gun has extraction issues.

Are you using a 1 piece gas ring? If so remove it.

I would try other ammo before doing any serious changes.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Gap alignment is just an old falsehood that the Military has perpetuated. Very similar tale as running the AR dry. The Gas Rings will align on their own from cycling. Dont worry about it. A properly functioning AR can run with just one gas ring.

you can test your gas rings by removing the BCG and extending the bolt head. Carefully lay the bolt face on the table with the tail pointing to the ceiling. If the bolt does not collapse into the carrier, the Gas Rings are ok. If it collapses, replace the rings.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Ejection pattern depends on bolt velocity and thus gas volume vs buffer weight. If the gun ejects forward (2 o'clock) it needs a heavier buffer or less gas. If it ejects rearward (4 o'clock) it needs a lighter buffer or more gas.

With your rearward ejection, maybe your front sight base is a little misaligned with the hole in the barrel, the hole or gas tube is getting clogged, or the end of the tube is damaged where the carrier mates to it.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Note: I am left eye dominate left hander, shooting left hand, with a right hand ejection port. Please don't criticize me. .

NEVER apologize for who you are. I am the same. :party29:

Now, if you are LOOKING for criticism, just go and buy a left handed piston AR.... queue Chad in 4, 3, 2..... :lol2:

Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    Well thanks. I am pretty thick skinned and love to get in a verbal rumble now and then, but with this particular thread I just was concerned for my safety due to some unforeseen rifle failure. I belong to other sites where some think it funny to criticize others regardless of the intent of the original question. And yes, it would be a easy fix to buy a left hand rifle. But then I would not be learning anything. Maryland Shooters rocks.....

:sign11:

EDIT: While I have the bolts out I think I'll do a full inspection of the firing pin, extractor, buffer weight and ejector. And while it's all out I might as well spring for a replacement kit. Man, I can smell the gun oil already...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom