• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At under 200 yards , the superior 1000 yd trajectory of 69/ 75/ 77 gr Boattails is largely moot .

Still could have a discussion of terminal ballistics of either heavy Match Bullets or midweight Bonded bullets at closer range .

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    There isn't one "right bullet".

My preference for a "does most stuff ok" is 77gr hpbt match. If it for anything but steel plates, I use only nosler bullets. Major differences in their terminal performance compared to Sierra.

Loading 75 speer gold dots to match the 77s work to about 300yds and then I notice a trajectory separation. This gives me a bonded bullet option in the same weight class.

For plinking, buy or load whatever you can get cheap and just record your offset for it.

Leave your lpvo on the rifle. Get used to bringing it to your eye from different carry positions quickly.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    FWIW, saw Rob O’neil interviewed, and he apparently smoked OBL with 77gr. Also saw DJ Shipley on Shawn Ryan show saying that’s what he preferred while on DEVGRU.

If THAT’S the type of “S” you’re anticipating hitting the fan, then 77’s should be good to go.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    I think the OP specified a 16 1/2” HBAR with a 1:7 twist. (Sounds like a new cocktail.). Intended use is general, SHTF, inside 200 yards.

My understanding is that bullets heavier than 62 grains won’t do as well in that configuration. I think some here may be suggesting that heavier bullets would still be OK, perhaps meaning at greater ranges and significantly increased costs per round.

I do not know - I just rely on what I have read over the years. And, I don’t re-load. So, I have stuck with popular brands of 55’s and 62’s, standard 193 FMJ’s (with some occasional green tips).

Is that being too conservative in terms of what the OP was initially getting at?

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Your original post request is about "bullets", but your follow-up posts seem to be about loaded ammo - cartridges/rounds/ammo. For a SHTF scenario I would consider having more than one type of ammo available, and I would know any differences in windage/elevation needed for each type. I would want one type of round for close-in explosiveness (like a 55 gr. varmint bullet - I use 55gr. SBK's), one for precision as bullet placement may be more important than bullet type, especially at 200 yards (I use 69gr. SMK's which are super accurate in my AR's), one for longer distances/adverse wind conditions (I use 77 gr. SMK's - but at <200 yards 69 SMK's will likely do), and some green tip ammo for if/when significant penetration is required (against armor or vehicle) but precision is secondary.

I handload .223/5.56 ammo using 55 SBK's (H4895), and 69 (H4895) and 77 SMK's (Varget) and have bought green tip ammo on hand.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I think the OP specified a 16 1/2” HBAR with a 1:7 twist. (Sounds like a new cocktail.). Intended use is general, SHTF, inside 200 yards.

My understanding is that bullets heavier than 62 grains won’t do as well in that configuration. I think some here may be suggesting that heavier bullets would still be OK, perhaps meaning at greater ranges and significantly increased costs per round.

I do not know - I just rely on what I have read over the years. And, I don’t re-load. So, I have stuck with popular brands of 55’s and 62’s, standard 193 FMJ’s (with some occasional green tips).

Is that being too conservative in terms of what the OP was initially getting at?

Yes , And No .

1:9 will do perfectly adaquately with M855 , and generally adaquate with up to 69 gr or so . 1:7 will be perfectly adaquate up to. 77 gr .

The 100 gr bullet in the link is blunt nosed flat base with comparatively short length . The maker porports that it stabilizes with 1:7 . Haven't shot any , but from the measurements and the physics involved , it's plausible .

But notwithstanding the above , for the OP's stated parameters of all around use up to only 200 yards , he wouldn't be making constructive advantage of such properties , and not really gaining anything over conventional and mostly conventional ammo of the usual flavors .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom