• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I am not an expert with AR's and their bullets so I am asking you guys to get me some feedback here. First a little bit about my AR - 16.5" HBAR 1in7 twist. Using it mostly 200yds. and in. I am trying to find the right bullet and stock up. When I first got the gun I went out and bought a bunch of ammo mostly 55gr. in XTAC and Hornady. Since then I have been also buying some 62gr. in mixed brands. When looking at the ammo options there are so many different grains and types and brands. I don't want to have to test all of them out there. what are you guys using in your AR's and why? Is there a favorite go to bullet would would want in a SHTF situation? Take the ammo cost out of the equation. I feel like I should be using a 62gr over the 55gr. but maybe a 68gr or 77gr. might be better I don't know. I also like to stick with brands that I know are good like the Hornady and Xtac. They seem really reliable to me.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    68…75…77 grain. Find which works best in your rifle…then stack them high and deep.

Hornady 75 grain TAP is great for punching through barriers which it’s designed to do. 68 grain JHP is especially accurate. The 77 grain may be the best of both worlds.

But as always…YMMV.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    68…75…77 grain. Find which works best in your rifle…then stack them high and deep.

Hornady 75 grain TAP is great for punching through barriers which it’s designed to do. 68 grain JHP is especially accurate. The 77 grain may be the best of both worlds.

But as always…YMMV.
    Do those higher grain bullets need a longer barrel to be ideal? What brand to you prefer?

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I would like to find some of the Hornady 75gr TAP and try them. Any place carry them locally or will I need to get them online?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Black Hills Mk 262 Mod 1-C, but Hornady TAP, Speer Gold Dot, and Federal LE Tactical are also great.

True Statement .

BUT , you need to realistically reconcile the statements of :
    . stock up
    Money not object .

Quick perusal of current PSA website :

Generic 55 gr fmj - starting around $0.50 / round

Daily special 69gr BTHP - .75 and .80

Various " good stuff " @ regular PSA prices - Starting around $1.25 , and up, and up some more .

If " stocking up"means a couple hundred rounds , sure , jump on those daily special 69 BTHP , then set down the MDS , and go order some before midnight .

If " stocking up" means instead , or additionally , buying by the case , and stacking deep , then realistically that will be 55gr FMJ .

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I am watching some YouTube videos on this and it seems that the heavier grain bullets are better for reaching out at longer distances. They will over penetrate in home defense cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom