• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I’m really wondering what these procedural issues could be. After all Gorsuch joined in the Peruta dissent but is nowhere to be found for Rogers.

If these procedural issues were that big of an issue, you’d think maybe a concurrence pointing out the issues might be helpful for future cases?

It is not really a procedural issue, it is an argument problem. They don't really explain why the lower courts got the issue wrong. I think the NYSRPA case demonstrates that they will take the right case. It is not really for the court to figure it out, it is for the parties to make an appropriate argument. They get so many cases they can wait for the right one.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I’m really wondering what these procedural issues could be. After all Gorsuch joined in the Peruta dissent but is nowhere to be found for Rogers.

If these procedural issues were that big of an issue, you’d think maybe a concurrence pointing out the issues might be helpful for future cases?

Its hard to make sense of a dissent from denial only in one of these cases, which Gorsuch did not join (or write).

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    I wonder how much of this has to do with legal reasoning and how much has to do with current events. Maybe I am just a skeptic, but I can't believe all ten cases had issues that prevented hearing them and setting solid precedent. At the very least, California's microstamping case should be open and shut of it's absurd, clearly infringing, and obvious denies access to handguns that are recognized as protected in at least 42 other states.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    This.

“At the very least, California's microstamping case should be open and shut of it's absurd, clearly infringing, and obvious denies access to handguns that are recognized as protected in at least 42 other states.”

It makes a mockery of the entire process to my mind. That low hanging fruit fell right right off the tree and into their pockets and they pulled it out to throw on the ground.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    This of course is VERY disappointing. On an ironic side note, I am one of the lucky few in Maryland that has a carry permit, and since the elimination of our restrictions, Maryland permit holders now operate in one of the least restrictive states for permit holders but one of the MOST restrictive states for the average citizen to actually get a permit.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    This of course is VERY disappointing. On an ironic side note, I am one of the lucky few in Maryland that has a carry permit, and since the elimination of our restrictions, Maryland permit holders now operate in one of the least restrictive states for permit holders.

What? Can you explain a little because I have no idea what you mean by MD is one of the least restrictive states for permit holders.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    What? Can you explain a little because I have no idea what you mean by MD is one of the least restrictive states for permit holders.

I suppose he means that of the sub-set of states that require permits based on some exceptional perceived risk (the Good And Substantial nonsense), that at least those who own businesses are now granted a license that doesn't have any "while doing business as" type restrictions. Yes, that's nice. But that's like noting how pretty and sparkly the flames are when you burn a copy of the constitution.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish

In MD since they issue so few carry permits and the vast majority of the ones they have issued have been for Leo's. Therefore there are really very few rules for permitees. Such as "no guns" signs don't mean anything, but there are the usual ones schools, gov't buildings but if you have a carry permit you can basically carry where ever your life take you.

Where are Firearms Prohibited?

Restriction on the wear, carry and transport of handguns and firearms in certain places appear throughout Maryland law and regulations. Below are statutes and regulations detailing the handgun and firearm restrictions. This list should not be considered all-inclusive.
    1. On school property (CR 4-102)

2. Within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place (CR 4-208)

3. In legislative buildings (SG 2-1702)

4. Aboard aircraft (TR 5-1008)

5. In lodging establishments where the innkeeper reasonably believes individuals possess property that may be dangerous to other individuals, such as firearms or explosives (BR 15-203)

6. On dredge boats, other than two 10 gauge shotguns (NR 4-1013)

7. In or around State-owned public buildings and grounds (COMAR 04.05.01.03)

8. On Chesapeake Forest Lands (COMAR 08.01.07.14)

9. In State Forests (COMAR 08.07.01.04)

10. In State Parks (COMAR 08.07.06.04)

11. In State Highway Rest Areas, unless properly secured within vehicle (COMAR 11.04.07.12)

12. In community adult rehabilitation centers (COMAR 12.02.03.10)

13. In child care centers, except for small centers located in residences (COMAR 13A.16.10.04)​

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    This.

“At the very least, California's microstamping case should be open and shut of it's absurd, clearly infringing, and obvious denies access to handguns that are recognized as protected in at least 42 other states.”

It makes a mockery of the entire process to my mind. That low hanging fruit fell right right off the tree and into their pockets and they pulled it out to throw on the ground.

Exactly, and it further emboldens the morons who write this kind of legislation.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD

As a permit holder without restrictions on our permit, we can carry in more places throughout the state than most other states permit holders. If you look at the other states they are prohibited from many places, like bars and movie theaters etcetera. Lot's of states also recognize 'no gun signs' with the force of law, Maryland does not. If you listen to Brian Frosh, we can also have up to (10) drinks and still carry:lol:. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jZc_GJv9Is

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I wonder how much of this has to do with legal reasoning and how much has to do with current events. Maybe I am just a skeptic, but I can't believe all ten cases had issues that prevented hearing them and setting solid precedent. At the very least, California's microstamping case should be open and shut of it's absurd, clearly infringing, and obvious denies access to handguns that are recognized as protected in at least 42 other states.

What precedent are they going to set? I think many agree that the outcome is wrong, but what do you want SCOTUS to change? While I agree that conceptually the CA microstamping case should have been open and shut, the reasoning in the petition dances around the issue. They never really explained WHY the lower court got it wrong and what needs to be done instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom