• ...and so much more!
  • Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Good. I'm not going to get into the whole Pot & guns debate. I truly don't care.

What I DO like is the 4th's telling the District to show proof/cite over their claims that a law deserves to stay in existence. With our new Fundamental Right, the State's interest is going to have to be spelled out a little better.

"Common Sense" gun laws ain't gonna cut it anymore, thankfully.

US v. Carter OPINION.

n developing its record in this case, the government has chosen not to rely on academic research or other empirical data to demonstrate the connection between drug use and gun violence, even though such evidence is abundantly available
    the court of appeals noted that​

the government still bears the burden of showing that § 922(g)(3)'s limited imposition on Second Amendment rights proportionately advances the goal of preventing gun violence. And we conclude that in this case, the record it made is insufficient. Without pointing to any study, empirical data, or legislative findings, it merely argued to the district court that the fit was a matter of common sense.

This appeal to common sense, the Fourth Circuit determined, was not sufficient.

:thumbsup: Bravo. Smoke 'em if you got 'em....

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    What I DO like is the 4th's telling the District to show proof/cite over their claims that a law deserves to stay in existence. With our new Fundamental Right, the State's interest is going to have to be spelled out a little better.

"Common Sense" gun laws ain't gonna cut it anymore, thankfully.

Rulings like this can only help us in the future, regardless of associated circumstances (in this case, the marijuana possession). Good stuff.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Anything that happens in the 4th circuit is especially important for Marylanders.

And if the logic of Chester and now Carter is followed in the 4th Circuit, then a carry permit case involving a law-abiding citizen like Wollard should have a good chance, whenever it actually gets there.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    And if the logic of Chester and now Carter is followed in the 4th Circuit, then a carry permit case involving a law-abiding citizen like Wollard should have a good chance, whenever it actually gets there.

Agreed. Woollard will not likely be a SCOTUS-targeted case IMHO. It goes no farther than Richmond and the 4th, where we have plenty of transitional (intermediate vs strict) scrutiny cases already waiting.

Judge Legg was well-read on Chester and Masciandaro's rulings. Getting off-track, but that bodes well in Woollard. This one can only help....if not in District, then at the trip to CA4 which will likely happen, win or lose at District.

Just my .02 worth...

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Agreed. Woollard will not likely be a SCOTUS-targeted case IMHO. It goes no farther than Richmond and the 4th, where we have plenty of transitional (intermediate vs strict) scrutiny cases already waiting.

Judge Legg was well-read on Chester and Masciandaro's rulings. Getting off-track, but that bodes well in Woollard. This one can only help....if not in District, then at the trip to CA4 which will likely happen, win or lose at District.

Just my .02 worth...

Although we still have "only in the home", it is notable the judges have pointed out that CA4 has ducked a 2A analysis on three separate occassions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom