• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Another answer to a question never asked. Chalk that one up to go way as the dodo bird.

I know, but I have been craving a gun to dwarf my .45 LC's but with more controlable recoil than the snappy 454 casulls and 500 S&Ws. The 480 is hard but a little smoother and more controllable (sort of akin to .45ACP vs .40S&W in recoil).

Id be all over the below if I thought the cartridge would be around (or if there was an easy conversion if it went away or if I could get a full set of dies reasonably).

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-500-JRH-Revolver-55-inch-Barrel.asp

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I know, but I have been craving a gun to dwarf my .45 LC's but with more controlable recoil than the snappy 454 casulls and 500 S&Ws. The 480 is hard but a little smoother and more controllable (sort of akin to .45ACP vs .40S&W in recoil).

Id be all over the below if I thought the cartridge would be around (or if there was an easy conversion if it went away or if I could get a full set of dies reasonably).

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-500-JRH-Revolver-55-inch-Barrel.asp

If you reload, I guess you do by your post, get a .480 and PLENTY of brass to last you a LONG time. You are correct about the recoil characteristics of that cartridge in the Ruger revolver that's chambered for it, less perceived recoil with a fair amount more punch than a .44 magnum.

Could go 460 and shoot your 45lc, 454, or 460.

I think this ^^^ would be the way to go if you don't mind a very large revolver, versatility plus.

fnfalsar48

Feb 27, 2011
    Virginia
    You should purchase a Freedom Arms revolver in the 480 and get a second cylinder for the 475 linebaugh. You will be amazed with the quality.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    I think this ^^^ would be the way to go if you don't mind a very large revolver, versatility plus.

Come on it's not that big lol
    DSC_0306.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Come on it's not that big lol
    DSC_0306.jpg

Ya I find the 454 (never shot the 460) to punchy. My hands are smallish, so the SuperRedhawk guns are pushing the limits but handleable. A friend has one in 480 and its his favorite black bear pistol. The BFR's do ok for me in the short cylinder models.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    The x frame shares grips with the L-frame (ie 686). So while the gun is large, the grips actually feel small to me. The great thing about the 460 is that it uses 45 cal bullets so you have a wide array of possibilities when it comes projectiles.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If you reload, I guess you do by your post, get a .480 and PLENTY of brass to last you a LONG time. You are correct about the recoil characteristics of that cartridge in the Ruger revolver that's chambered for it, less perceived recoil with a fair amount more punch than a .44 magnum.

I have a lot of guns I have had to buy a lifetime of brass or get it when they want it. Cough .455 webley

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Versatility and availability are a nice option.

Your probably right on the 454, though I was looking for a little bigger bore May revisit ruger.

Priorities changed a little last night as I stumbled across a dealer who is actually had in stock a Rossi 92 454 16" barrel stainless. It was on auctionarms and the price wasnt too bad. Ive been wanting one for years. While I Was a little disapointed with the quality of my last 92 (finish and action) there was nothing fataly wrong so I figured I would give them another chance.

Should go nicely with my .45 Redhawk. Now a nice 480 pair would be nicer but.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom