• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BDurk

Sep 21, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I have an opportunitu to pick up a well maintained Glock LEO trade in for a good price.

I am unfamilar with the caliber and was wondering what folks think of it.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    45 GAP?...... Out gheys the 40 SW

It is Glock's attempt to come up with its own proprietary cartridge ( Glock Automatic Pistol)like SIGs 357 or S&W 40.
    Its a 45 cal cartridge that fits a 9mm frame. Good luck with ammo and its availability.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'm pretty sure it's half of the "Ambiguously Gay Dou", the other half being a .40. :lol2:

Ultimate Member
    I have an opportunitu to pick up a well maintained Glock LEO trade in for a good price.

I am unfamilar with the caliber and was wondering what folks think of it.

If you ever want to shoot bullets from it I'd say hell now. A few obscure agencies actually use it, but it is just so expensive and not an improvement over existing stuff. The .357 sig and .40 S&W caught on, but not the 45 GAP.

If there was a way to convert the gun to shoot 45 acp or something you can actually find they I'd get it. Otherwise just get a used glock for under $500.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Don't do it for all of the above reasons, plus why not just go with .45acp in a 30 or 21?

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

The big issue is the price & availability of ammo for that pea shooter...

If & when you can find it, it's going to cost you...

The same applies to the 357 Sig...

You'll have a lot more options if you select a 9, 40 or 45...

You'll also have a better options if you decide to re-sell the gun...

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Before you buy that bastige child of Gaston Glock, look around (locally) and TRY to find ammo for that GAP.

Not that I've been looking for it, but, I've NEVER seen any .45 GAP anywhere I've been.

Don't get me wrong...... I like my Glocks, but, that .45 GAP is certainly a bastige child!!!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's a dead round, IMO.

Although I have seen a few boxes of 45 GAP at Maryland Small Arms...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You can't say it's ghey in performance , as it's identical to .45acp . As stands presently tho , few available platforms really take advantage of it. Off the top of my head it fits into the ( whatever the number) Glock that is same size as the G26/27 , which is a meaningful reduction for the G30 .

In the what if dept , if Springfield had gone ahead and put it into full production in the EMP , the world would have had a reliable gun the size of an Officers .

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    You can't say it's ghey in performance , as it's identical to .45acp . As stands presently tho , few available platforms really take advantage of it. Off the top of my head it fits into the ( whatever the number) Glock that is same size as the G26/27 , which is a meaningful reduction for the G30 .

In the what if dept , if Springfield had gone ahead and put it into full production in the EMP , the world would have had a reliable gun the size of an Officers .

The design/reason of the GAP was innovative and REALLY BALLSY; to have a 45 caliber cartridge that'll fit in a standard full-sized handgun that's most suitable for 9mm and fowteey and duplicate the ballistics of the ol' .45acp. The ballsy part is that Glock went up against the so well loved, tried and trued century old .45acp. The GAP cartridge is essencially dead. If you're lookin' for a gun that may have collector's value down the road in regard to "went the way of the do-do bird" and "limited production due to the lack of demand", then this is one of those guns to have. Otherwise, buy sumptin' you can shoot AND get ammo to shoot in it.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If somebody gave me one, I'd probably take it because I'm a Glock fanboy. Other than that, it's not worth paying for in my opinion.

IjustCantAim

Jan 20, 2010
    I have a glock 39. I shoot it regularly and really enjoy the round. the frame is the size of the 26. The slide is a lot wider though. I carry it when out of state. Nice having a sub compact with a .45 round. I buy gap in bulk. Not as painful as some people think. X ring in Newark carries my ammo.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    One of the reasons it didn't catch on is that while it fits the length of a 9/40 frame, it doesn't stack well for the width, even though it uses doubl stack mags the full/compact/subcompact only holds 10/8/6, so for the increase in width over a single stack, you don't gain capacity. Compared to 13/10 for the doublestack 45acp models and 6 for the narrower compact and a much more available cartridge it doesn't offer an advantage over any other model.

sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    I have a glock 39. I shoot it regularly and really enjoy the round. the frame is the size of the 26. The slide is a lot wider though. I carry it when out of state. Nice having a sub compact with a .45 round. I buy gap in bulk. Not as painful as some people think. X ring in Newark carries my ammo.

Right on! I've had my G39 for years and love it. Just buy the ammo in bulk and you'll be alright. If the price is right, go forth!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The 45 GAP was actually built for a 45 Glock frame at the lobbying of Chuck Thomas, I believe it was. The lobbying was to put major caliber Glock firepower in hands of smaller handed operators and military personnel. The power of 45 ACP was desired but the length of the cartridge didn't allow significant shortening of any 45 frame. Shortening the cartridge and thus, the grip frame, yielded the desired results. So after much insistance and finding justification on Glock's part, the pistol was finally built. A little sizzle in the gunzines and it was over.h

It is a specislized cartidge for one purpose. And it didn't take like Glock hoped.

Oh, the 10mm followed the same path as the 41 Magnum. Too much thump for the intended purpose. So it ends up as a specialty cartidge. And the 40 S&W is what both of them should have been with original purpose in mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom