• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Winchester Large Rifle primers are what I use, along with Alliant Reloader 7 powder. Cast Performance 405 gr LWNGC boolits. Remington and/or Federal cases.

Great accuracy. Low(er) pressures. Not real hard on the shoulder.
    Knocks the intended target's _ _ _ _ in the dirt.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    405gr die set ? Is that a 405gr bullet mold , or a 3 die set , or perhaps both ? LEE dies work fine , just making sure.

As mentioned by Bfy43 , RL-7 is a popular choice.

As you may well know .45-70 has been offered over the years in a wide variety of rifle ( and handguns ) of wide range of strengths. For this reason .45-70 is unique in having THREE different catagories of pressures for handloads. Owners of stronger guns can ( and frequently do ) use milder loads from preference , but the reverse practice is Not a Good Thing.

If you give us a clue to your (presumably) rifle and/or your intended load type we can point you in (probably multiple) directions .

byf43

Thanks Byf43. I have a 405 grain die set from Lee. Went looking online for primers wow, ghost town.

405gr die set ? Is that a 405gr bullet mold , or a 3 die set , or perhaps both ?
    LEE dies work fine , just making sure.

As you may well know .45-70 has been offered over the years in a wide variety of rifle ( and handguns ) of wide range of strengths. For this reason .45-70 is unique in having THREE different catagories of pressures for handloads. Owners of stronger guns can ( and frequently do ) use milder loads from preference , but the reverse practice is Not a Good Thing.

If you give us a clue to your (presumably) rifle and/or your intended load type we can point you in (probably multiple) directions .

I was gonna ask the same thing.

Sam, I've never heard of a particular bullet weight, die set. ??? :shrug: ???

Typically, loading dies are made/produced for a particular caliber, and the seater plug is shaped for different shaped (duh!) boolits.
    RN, WC, SWC, FP, etc.

CAUTION: Are you shooting a modern day 45/70 or a trapdoor? I have a trapdoor and I have to reload to 1870 year pressures.

GREAT point.

Sam, if you can be more specific on what you're going to load for, there are some very knowledgeable guys on here, that can steer you in the right direction.
    (I've even been known to give a good reply, once in a while.) :D

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Thanks fellas haha!

405gr die set ? Is that a 405gr bullet mold , or a 3 die set , or perhaps both ? LEE dies work fine , just making sure.

CAUTION: Are you shooting a modern day 45/70 or a trapdoor? I have a trapdoor and I have to reload to 1870 year pressures.

Sorry for lack of clarification, and I misused a term. I have Lee's die set for 45-70, and the bullet mold is 405 grain. I was not aware there's different die sets for different grain bullets?

Sadly not shooting something as cool as a trapdoor, It's a H&R buffalo classic, my intro to 45-70 (not my last).

Some folks say it can be loaded to ruger no1, but I dont think so, so keeping to the lower side of lever guns and upper side of antiques.

byf43

When I started loading for my Marlin 1895G, I read everything I could get my hands on, for loading this grand old "catridge"!

I've got a bad back and neck, and I can't take too much 'battering' according to my surgeons.

Here's a GREAT article (IMNSHO, anyway!) on loading for the .45-70.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/117.htm

http://www.realguns.com/loads/4570cast.htm

I use the Cast Performance 405 gr LWNGC boolit, and Reloader 7 (aka/ RL7), because from what I've read, (and others have told me) it produces good velocity with lower pressures, compared to other powders.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Buffalo Classics are fine rifles, and the octagon bbl will give a more muzzle foreward balance , and slightly more wt overall than the std N&R/ NEF .45-70 . That said , disregard any thought of loads anywhere near the level of a Ruger No1 ( or No3). You should be looking at *Class I* aka Trapdoor level loads. This rifle is a "bit" stronger , but nowhere near *ClassII* aka Marlin level loads . Loads within these levels can be plenty potent , so you have no cause to feel under gunned.

Extensive data is out there for virtually any powder from pistol powders , thru the slowest rifle powders. And yes , medium rifle powders in the 3031/4895 have a large following , there are highly experienced handloaders who swear by all aproaches , including Real Black.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    I have Lee's reloading book and was advised to read and understand the differences from trapdoor pressures to ruger no1 levels. I need powder and primers then I can start putting info to boolit haha. Thanks for the help fellas.

970773_10201573745056432_1173680939_n.jpg

Biggfoot, I wish it was octagonal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom