• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I will soon be acquiring a Henry H010cc rifle in 45-70. Im looking to start reloadibg the 45-70 but i cant seem to find what type of data to use. Some data says its safe for marlin model 1895 other says ruger #1 but i cant seem to find anything about my new Rifle. Has anyone loaded 45-70 for this rifle?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I can't imagine a lever gun being as 'stout' as a Ruger #1, in .45-70.

I've seen photos of lever guns breaking loose from too hot of a load.

Things I've learned about the .45-70:

1. There is NO need to 'hot rod' the .45-70.
    2. See #1.
    3. #1 is the truth.

Where the barrel 'twists' into the receiver, because of the streamlined nature of the insides of the receiver, you just cannot load it to extremes.

IF you start loading the .45-70, read everything you can on the cartridge and pressures.

I've found that Alliant Reloader 7 (aka/ RL-7 or RL7) is REALLY good for lower chamber pressures and good velocity, with FANTASTIC accuracy, using a 405 gr hardcast boolit.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I can't imagine a lever gun being as 'stout' as a Ruger #1, in .45-70.

I've seen photos of lever guns breaking loose from too hot of a load.

Things I've learned about the .45-70:

1. There is NO need to 'hot rod' the .45-70.
    2. See #1.
    3. #1 is the truth.

Where the barrel 'twists' into the receiver, because of the streamlined nature of the insides of the receiver, you just cannot load it to extremes.

IF you start loading the .45-70, read everything you can on the cartridge and pressures.

I've found that Alliant Reloader 7 (aka/ RL-7 or RL7) is REALLY good for lower chamber pressures and good velocity, with FANTASTIC accuracy, using a 405 gr hardcast boolit.

I can't imagine either. The Ruger No.1 single shot is built extremely strong, and chambered for some of the most potent cartridges on the planet.

45-70 usually has 3 sets of data. Trapdoor and older original examples on the low end, Ruger No. 1 on the high end, and the modern lever actions in the middle. Worth a call to Henry I'd think. Let them guide you. Best guess would be they say middle ground data, but let them say. After all, it's their build.

byf43

45-70 usually has 3 sets of data. Trapdoor and older original examples on the low end, Ruger No. 1 on the high end, and the modern lever actions in the middle. Worth a call to Henry I'd think. Let them guide you. Best guess would be they say middle ground data, but let them say. After all, it's their build.

VERY much agreed!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Personally, I'd stick with Trapdoor loads and work on finding a bullet and powder charge your gun likes.

I agree with this, unless you are planning to hunt something big with it.

Henry might just tell you that they don't recommend handloads at all, so be smart about how/what you ask them.

Personally, I like 65 grains of Goex FFg...but my .45/70 is easier to clean :D

byf43

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If black powder loaded .45-70 will shoot cross ways thru a buffalo, or lengthwise thru an elk, what's it underpowered for ?

Yes, more velocity will flatten trajectory, but that's relative, and will never approach modern concepts of "flat" .

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If black powder loaded .45-70 will shoot cross ways thru a buffalo, or lengthwise thru an elk, what's it underpowered for ?

Yes, more velocity will flatten trajectory, but that's relative, and will never approach modern concepts of "flat" .

Heavy and slow gets it done.

4570.jpg

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    For what its worth I always had good results using 405 grain bullets and IMR 3031 using the Trapdoor load data that Hodgdon has online, low pressures and very good accuracy.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    You should be safe using data for the trapdoor until you find data on your Henry.

Data at the upper end of the trapdoor pressure range can still give you a pretty kick ass cartridge. That is pretty much where I load since I'm not hunting only punching paper with my Marlin leveractions. If you are going to do any amount of shooting at one sitting you can have all the enjoyment without punishing your shoulder.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hornaday's "Trapdoor" data is way hotter than anything I'd ever use in an actual Trapdoor, or similar gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom