• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patrickgzx

Oct 21, 2012
    E-town, Kentucky
    New to the site...
    My oldest son introduced me to the Mosin while looking for a .22lr rifle for his birthday last November. After seeing that the gun shop had lots to choose from, he lost interest in the .22lr rifle and went immediately to looking for one.
    I picked out a terrible looking 43' izzy, obviously I didn't know much about them at the time. Anyway.. I shot 20-30 milisurp through it to make sure it was accurate and went to modifing.

Some of the help came from youtube and the username Iraqvetern8888. He did a complete breakdown, clean up and then went to Sportering the Mosin.

I'm pretty good mechanical and really never did any "backyard" gunsmithing if you can call it that. I don't claim to be an expert just curious to see if I can do it.

Mine is the top 2 Mosins, the bottom is my oldest sons. The top one is the 43' izzy.

Bought an ATI synthetic stock. That took some work to make the barrel free float and then had to remove some from the inside of the receiver area when I couldn't load any rounds into the magazine area. The Interrupter Ejector was jammed and wasn't able to move out of the way.

Then went to cutting the barrel and recrowning it myself. Not a bad job.

Attachments

• IMG_1881.jpg
      IMG_1881.jpg
      93 KB · Views: 314
    • IMG_1884.jpg
      IMG_1884.jpg
      73 KB · Views: 313
    • IMG_1915.jpg
      IMG_1915.jpg
      89.7 KB · Views: 313
    • IMG_1951.jpg
      IMG_1951.jpg
      66.8 KB · Views: 312
    • IMG_1947.jpg
      IMG_1947.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 316

patrickgzx

Oct 21, 2012
    E-town, Kentucky
    Without a front sight post, I went on the lookout for a scope and scope mount that could put up with the Mosin recoil. After reading what seems like a hundred different opinions I went with the Rock Solid scope mount. While I was spending the money, I bought their bent bolt to go along with it. Top notch products..

The Scope mount requires you to drill and tap the top of the breech for the 2 upper mounting bolts and 1 in the side of the receiver. I ended up using the next size up, they came with m5 bolts and I used m6 bolts instead. I've put 700-800 rounds through the Mosin and have never had the bolts come loose. The scope hasn't moved at all in the 9 months that I've been shooting it.

The bent bolt is a work of art. Very nice welding and it came already polished up. That indeed helped the bolt action slide smoother.

I removed the rear sight completely, drove the pins back into the barrel and went to grinding off the rear sight post. You can see that imperfections in the barrel where I couldn't get it completely smooth all the way down the barrel.

Next was the muzzle break.... I couldn't find anything for a Mosin Nagant, only AR-15 and AK stuff online. Somehow I ran into this company called CNCwarrior on youtube. They actually sell a kit for the Mosin Nagant, M15x1 kit; the only issue with their kit was that it went on after the front sight post, where it was thinner. Since mine was cut and abit thicker than their die was I had to carefully remove some material from the outer edge of the barrel for the die to start. All the products worked great..

The scope is an $80 Centerpoint 4-16X40 from Walmart. It has done its job and hasn't broke internally yet. I didn't think it would have put up with this much abuse but it has.

The bipod is a Winchester brand and was again bought at Walmart for $40.

Attachments

• IMG_1957.jpg
      IMG_1957.jpg
      97.2 KB · Views: 296
    • vlcsnap-2012-10-25-22h35m34s211.jpg
      vlcsnap-2012-10-25-22h35m34s211.jpg
      62.2 KB · Views: 294
    • vlcsnap-2012-10-25-22h21m59s27.jpg
      vlcsnap-2012-10-25-22h21m59s27.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 289
    • vlcsnap-2012-10-25-22h33m43s251.jpg
      vlcsnap-2012-10-25-22h33m43s251.jpg
      44.4 KB · Views: 292
    • IMG_1979.jpg
      IMG_1979.jpg
      97.1 KB · Views: 295
    • IMG_1983.jpg
      IMG_1983.jpg
      93.8 KB · Views: 294

patrickgzx

Oct 21, 2012
    E-town, Kentucky
    Well.. With it all done up and ready to shoot, it was time to see just how accurate I could be with it. All the target are at 105-110 yards.

We made up some great big spinners at work. The spinners put up a good fight but lost.

Of course... the last 2 are of my oldest son, BORIS>>>>

Attachments

• IMG_2042.jpg
      IMG_2042.jpg
      83.8 KB · Views: 289
    • IMG_2012a.jpg
      IMG_2012a.jpg
      171.3 KB · Views: 292
    • IMG_2004.jpg
      IMG_2004.jpg
      143 KB · Views: 287
    • IMG_2027.jpg
      IMG_2027.jpg
      125.5 KB · Views: 295
    • IMG_2040.jpg
      IMG_2040.jpg
      88.1 KB · Views: 293
    Last edited:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I don't think that the OP realizes that most of the people on the C&R thread are into preserving these firearms, rather than cutting them and otherwise modifying them in ways that can't be easily reversed. I'm not saying this so much as a criticism, but only to explain why there may not be a lot of "oooh ... ahhh!" feedback here. Also, once you've altered the firearm in that way, it no longer complies with C&R classification. That said, it's your rifle.

patrickgzx

Oct 21, 2012
    E-town, Kentucky
    I don't think that the OP realizes that most of the people on the C&R thread are into preserving these firearms, rather than cutting them and otherwise modifying them in ways that can't be easily reversed. I'm not saying this so much as a criticism, but only to explain why there may not be a lot of "oooh ... ahhh!" feedback here. Also, once you've altered the firearm in that way, it no longer complies with C&R classification. That said, it's your rifle.

Wow.. Never thought of it that way. I'm sorry to post it here then. I'll see about moving it then.:sad20:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Hey it's your rifle and there are literally millions of those things around. I'd say you did pretty good looking at those groups with milsurp ammo.

Sirex