• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lostsole

Feb 28, 2011
    North West Balto Co
    tonight, I picked up a single shot 20ga rossi for cheap to see how my wife and mother in-law will be able to shoot it.
    If they can tolerate the recoil using lighter rounds, I'll stick with it. If not, then I'll have to go down to .410

I purchased the H&R single shot 20ga for my son but found the kick to be close to my Mossberg 500 12ga. Hopefully I didn't scare him away but it has been 10 months and he still doesn't want to try a shotgun. I picked up a Winchester 1400 hoping the semi-auto would reduce recoil. If this doesn't work I will be owning a .410 or if I can find it, a 28ga.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    August,

I will be in Atlantic Beach in a few weekends and will be around New Bern and Morehead. Is there a gun shop worth stopping in for $50 .410 or a good price on a 22lr/22mg revolver or even just a fun place to browse. :D

There's a Hardees, but watch out, it attracts a rough crowd. :)

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    A 00 pellet traveling at 1200fps does not know if it was shot from a 410, 12, 16, or 20 ga. The law of physics assures that 00 pellet will have the same impact on its target without regard to what long barrel it came out of. As to having no value in HD, tell that to the elderly and small framed folks who cannot handle a larger firearm. I don't know why the wave of interest in the 410, but lets not confuse why it might be currently popular with the science based facts about ballistics. Four 00 buckshot from a 410 will have the same affect as four 00 buckshot out of a 12 ga. The difference is number of pellets not impact force.

Well said :thumbsup:

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    the Judge seems to have breathed new life into the .410. I got a friend who's got it on his wishlist and i wouldn't mind owning a .22/.410 combo.

love it or hate it, the Judge seems to give some people a combo of a hardy bullet like the 45 long colt with a little shotgun capability in a very small package. It skews towards home defense. I've also seen derringers chambered for the combo.

the m6 scout and it's clones seem to be popular with folks who want a light package for survival kits.

C-Par

Nov 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, MD
    I got a 410 Saiga I bought when the S12 prices peaked. At the time the S12's were $800-900. I wanted to try out a saiga do I got the 410 at half the price.

I didn't know what to expect from a 410 but let me tell you the PD, buck shot and slugs are very capable of putting a hurt on while the gun is still very control-able due to less recoil.

The arsenal SGL41s seem to be popular.

They are a bunch of different rounds but they can be pricey. I have mine in the classifieds to see if anyone wanted a deal on a saiga for a conversion.

Since the price of 410 is a bit high I have been considering reloading and keeping the gun. Also maybe get a judge to go with it.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    I purchased the H&R single shot 20ga for my son but found the kick to be close to my Mossberg 500 12ga. Hopefully I didn't scare him away but it has been 10 months and he still doesn't want to try a shotgun. I picked up a Winchester 1400 hoping the semi-auto would reduce recoil. If this doesn't work I will be owning a .410 or if I can find it, a 28ga.

I'm ordering the recoil pad for it. I'll start them off with light loads and gradually move them up to the more powerful loads on it.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    I blame the Taurus Judge.

blame all you want:D

Hmmmm, maybe but I think it started to happen before that abomination. Maybe not, I dunno.

One other thing....ammo isn't cheap for it's scale either. :shrug:

harsh, i'd hardly call it an abomination if S&W and Magnum Research both saw fit to make the same thing;)

The .410 is definitely a novelty gun. They can be quite fun for skeet shooting and not too bad for rabbit hunting, but the cost of shells keep all but the diehard fans from using them regularly. They can be economical to shoot if you reload.

Everybody in my family but me owns a .410. A friend of mine's 9 year old son successfully hunts geese with one! Take that all you 3.5" 12 ga guys! LOL Actually the kid brings down quite a variety of game with that .410. I would like to have one in the Remington 1100 variety just as a novelty piece. They really are a fun little gun to shoot once in a while, but for now I will stick with my 12!

awesome, i've got at least two .410s on my list, gadda love a challenge:party29:

john

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I'm just curious, why the infatuation with it outside of a kids first shotgun? It's really too small to do much with other than upland game at very close range and contrary to popular belief it is NOT a home defense weapon. I grew up seeing it as a .22 alternative for kids. Not trying to raise a shitstorm but am wondering....why when 20 and 16 Ga. is available for the recoil sensitive?

:asshat: More sport! Shooting clays or doves is a blast with a .410. Why use your .44 mag when your 30/06 rifle will work? Sport and skill :D

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Sadly, it's been sold as a defense cartridge.

For small game, or skeet I think it's fine in a pro's hand. However, for me to take it to a defense situation would be about like going into a terrorist layer with a single shot .22.

The long barrel Judge I thought had some merit as a survival gun. After that, the whole .410 thing was lost upon me.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I was managing to find single shot .410s all over the place here in NC for well under $100....more like the $50-75 range. I picked up a couple and realized, though the shotguns themselves were cheap, ammo for them was more of a bother. I could get 12ga shells in some places like Walmart for under $6 a box, when .410 was running a minimum of $9 a box.

Wasn't very thrifty. I kinda like .410, but it really serves no purpose. I mainly used it when I took new folks to the range so they could "shoot a shotgun".

I thought you only shot Hi Points :innocent0

I don't know about the efficacy of .410 as a home defense weapon, but it does have a time-honored tradition in hunting and clay shooting. I can't imagine going quail hunting with a 12 gauge - unless your goal is to vaporize them.

And as I said, for clays, it sets apart the serious shooters from the rest. A number of my shooting friends pretty much practice with either 28 gauge or .410 bore. The logic being that if you can score high with those, then 12 gauge is easy.

I don't have a .410 yet and will most likely eventually get a set of Briley tubes for my 20 gauge shotgun. I do have a set of 28 gauge tubes and I love shooting it. 28 gauge is a lot of fun. Good ballistic pattern characteristics and hardly any recoil. But at $10/box for shells not something I'm going to shoot exclusively. I figure that 20 gauge is going to be my "every day" gauge for clay games.

I have shot quail with a .410...it may be more appropriate to say I have shot AT quail with a .410. I was most certainly humbled. I like the 28 gauge for quail. Still a challenge, but I might bring home something to eat. I've also shot them with a 12 gauge. As long as you don't shoot them from a short distance, it is fine.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I don't know about the efficacy of .410 as a home defense weapon, but it does have a time-honored tradition in hunting and clay shooting. I can't imagine going quail hunting with a 12 gauge - unless your goal is to vaporize them.

And as I said, for clays, it sets apart the serious shooters from the rest. A number of my shooting friends pretty much practice with either 28 gauge or .410 bore. The logic being that if you can score high with those, then 12 gauge is easy.

I don't have a .410 yet and will most likely eventually get a set of Briley tubes for my 20 gauge shotgun. I do have a set of 28 gauge tubes and I love shooting it. 28 gauge is a lot of fun. Good ballistic pattern characteristics and hardly any recoil. But at $10/box for shells not something I'm going to shoot exclusively. I figure that 20 gauge is going to be my "every day" gauge for clay games.

I guess you mean except trap.

From a trap shooters web site:
    "410s are patterned at 25 yards. Trap targets are broken at 35-40 yards. Even with a full choke, there is a fair amount of luck involved. I once broke a 19 at 5 Stand with a 410, and trap is fun when you stand halfway to the house. I think it would be frustrating to expect a consistant result from the 16 yard line. I'm sure you will hear stories of people that can do it well, but go and pattern a 410 at 35 yards and make your own decision."

Further, I guess you could shoot .410 for fun, but there is no ATA scoring or comps for .410.

Nubz

Yankee Trash
    Mar 16, 2012
    I'm just curious, why the infatuation with it outside of a kids first shotgun? It's really too small to do much with other than upland game at very close range and contrary to popular belief it is NOT a home defense weapon. I grew up seeing it as a .22 alternative for kids. Not trying to raise a shitstorm but am wondering....why when 20 and 16 Ga. is available for the recoil sensitive?

My father has a few 20's that would beg to differ with your opinion of them being for the "recoil sensitive"

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    To each his own, 20's are relatively mild.

20s and 16s were never built for recoil issues. There were built simply because they are lighter and thus easier to carry. They recoil about the same as a 12ga because of gun weight differences. Some 16s, the ones built on a 20ga frame are quite stout in the recoil department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom