• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    20s and 16s were never built for recoil issues. There were built simply because they are lighter and thus easier to carry. They recoil about the same as a 12ga because of gun weight differences. Some 16s, the ones built on a 20ga frame are quite stout in the recoil department.

I call nonsense on that. Take a 12 ga slug and compare it to the others, the 12 will rock considerably more because of both a heavier slug and powder charge. Use something as close to as apple to apple as possible say like a cheap single shot Topper. I'm not sure BUT I think the 16 was a Euro bird shell and never really intended for heavy use.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I call nonsense on that. Take a 12 ga slug and compare it to the others, the 12 will rock considerably more because of both a heavier slug and powder charge. Use something as close to as apple to apple as possible say like a cheap single shot Topper. I'm not sure BUT I think the 16 was a Euro bird shell and never really intended for heavy use.

The trouble with charts like that is that they assume too much and always tend to use inaccurate gun weights. I own 20s and 16s that don't appear on that chart. I have a 16 that weighs 5 1/4 pounds. I have a 20 that weighs
    4 7/8 pounds. In those light weights, recoil is up there. But, if you have limited experience with smaller bores in carry weight vs shooting weight guns, I understand your doubts. Find and shoot a 20ga Baby Bretton sometime and you will be yearning for your 12ga slug gun.

The trouble with felt recoil vs what you see on some chart is free recoil - it's meaningless for the most part. That chart dosen't take much into account other than raw numbers and assumptions based on somewhat inaccurate data (gun weights). The chart doesn't look at stock design and how that effects recoil. They don't address action type, bore size and cone length or payload type which all effects recoil.

As to the 16ga not intended for heavy use and being a bird shell? Nah, that's not even close. The 16ga, mostly a German thing, is popular due to it's efficiency. It's been around a long time. It was the African settler's shotgun of choice and was used with shot, buckshot and slugs. It was the most popular shotgun ga for Cape Guns. So I would hardly call it a bird shell.
    Due to it's size, it can also be built of 20ga frames and you can end up with a gun that is lighter than many 20s, while packing more shot and doing it much more efficiently than a 3" 20ga. To that end, it is also a great bird gun.

BTW, the most efficient shotgun bores are the 16ga and the 28ga.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010

I am sure he meant comparing shot not slug.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    The trouble with charts like that is that they assume too much and always tend to use inaccurate gun weights. I own 20s and 16s that don't appear on that chart. I have a 16 that weighs 5 1/4 pounds. I have a 20 that weighs
    4 7/8 pounds. In those light weights, recoil is up there. But, if you have limited experience with smaller bores in carry weight vs shooting weight guns, I understand your doubts. Find and shoot a 20ga Baby Bretton sometime and you will be yearning for your 12ga slug gun.

The trouble with felt recoil vs what you see on some chart is free recoil - it's meaningless for the most part. That chart dosen't take much into account other than raw numbers and assumptions based on somewhat inaccurate data (gun weights). The chart doesn't look at stock design and how that effects recoil. They don't address action type, bore size and cone length or payload type which all effects recoil.

As to the 16ga not intended for heavy use and being a bird shell? Nah, that's not even close. The 16ga, mostly a German thing, is popular due to it's efficiency. It's been around a long time. It was the African settler's shotgun of choice and was used with shot, buckshot and slugs. It was the most popular shotgun ga for Cape Guns. So I would hardly call it a bird shell.
    Due to it's size, it can also be built of 20ga frames and you can end up with a gun that is lighter than many 20s, while packing more shot and doing it much more efficiently than a 3" 20ga. To that end, it is also a great bird gun.

BTW, the most efficient shotgun bores are the 16ga and the 28ga.

And the same gun in a 12 only weighs 4.7 lbs. Now, again apple to apple type loads the 12 will rock you harder. That's why I used the Topper for example, same design and stock design.

You can't compare a gas system 12 ga to a single shot or double barrel 20 because they are designed to bleed gas off to cycle the action and they will in fact produce less recoil. So yes in THAT case the 20 will feel stronger.

This has nothing to do with efficiency, this addresses recoil on this challenge.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I am sure he meant comparing shot not slug.

Slugs are a good example of when I said apple to apple. Sure a field load 7/8 oz 12 will be less then a full blown magnum 3 inch 20.

The 12 vs. 20 both being full blown magnums (apple to apple) the 12 is certainly going to be felt more on both ends.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Slugs are a good example of when I said apple to apple. Sure a field load 7/8 oz 12 will be less then a full blown magnum 3 inch 20.

The 12 vs. 20 both being full blown magnums (apple to apple) the 12 is certainly going to be felt more on both ends.

Once you are 3" anything on a slug you are in "No Fun Zone" for me.

IMHO shot in any guage feel more like a push. While slug feels like a punch.:rolleyes:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Once you are 3" anything on a slug you are in "No Fun Zone" for me.

IMHO shot in any guage feel more like a push. While slug feels like a punch.:rolleyes:

Why the eyeroll? Yes, lower loads are more of a push sorta but buckshot and and any magnum especially in a 12 that push goes into a smack.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Speaking of .410 Does anyone have a bucket full of 3" hulls they want to get rid of ? I have my reloading dies for the 410 and I've done about 100 reloads and now I'm looking for more 410 hulls in 2-1/2" and 3". Let me know.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    My first gun was a Spanish made .410 SXS double barrel that I got on my 13th birthday. Shot many a squirrel, rabbit, and to date my one and only deer. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom