• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It'll certainly ruin their day. For home defense, get home defense stuff. #4 buck at minimum.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    #4 shot is .13" diameter vs #4 buckshot at .24", and a significant difference in mass.

Ammo.com recommends #4 buck for deer, coyote, or home defense.

It recommends #4 shot for turkey, pheasant, and geese. I think I would find something else.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I’ve shot ducks 3x with #4 and it didn’t kill them right away. Use that box to practice with your gun and buy some #4 buck if you can find it.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'll be that guy.
    #4 is coarse pepper and low brass and not as hot, but at 20 feet or less I bet it's 1 mass and deadly as hell.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'll be that guy.
    #4 is coarse pepper and low brass and not as hot, but at 20 feet or less I bet it's 1 mass and deadly as hell.
    I mean... it'll f^ck a person up at close distances... but not as well as 1buck or 00. It's also sometimes a good thing to have a projectile(or cloud of projectiles) that CAN penetrate a barrier and still be lethal on the other side. It may be nice to be able to shoot the home intruder through a wall they duck behind or through a couch they duck behind. I've got a handgun for quick access, then 300blk pistol for the primary HD gun... but the shotgun is loaded with federal 00 and a couple segmented slugs riding on the side.

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    Hello - To try to put this discussion in perspective, 00 Buck is .32 caliber, and each pellet is about the same weight as the bullet from a .32 ACP. While nobody wants to get shot with a .32 ACP, it is not considered a particularly powerful cartridge. Penetration is the key, which is a function of the weight of the projectile. I only use 00 buck for home defense, hoping that the pellets will provide sufficient penetration, and the multiple projectiles will make up for the relatively small size of each individual pellet. I would not recommend bird shot, the pellets simply do not have the mass to provide much penetration.

Hope this helps,

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There's always the British "Malaya Load" used to combat Malayan communists during the insurrection there many years ago. While I don't have the exact recipe...it's essentially #4 Buck mixed with #6 birdshot. They used it to great effect in jungle combat.

I've no idea whether there's any commercially loaded version of it or if it has to be a home brew.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    There's always the British "Malaya Load" used to combat Malayan communists during the insurrection there many years ago. While I don't have the exact recipe...it's essentially #4 Buck mixed with #6 birdshot. They used it to great effect in jungle combat.

I've no idea whether there's any commercially loaded version of it or if it has to be a home brew.

"Buck and ball" was a common civil war load too.

Winchester sells mixed PDX Defense loads like that. They have .410 with either 3 or 4 copper disks + shot, and 12g which has a rifled slug + 3 buck shot.

4dbb35b2ed252a1f6d708bc4afdc00d4.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom