• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MedInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 24, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    The fact the law makers know about the various firearms and calibers that are banned and not banned is a moot point. It is the general public that matters. I don't know that this helped.

I suppose the only way we'll ever know is by polling and not simply assuming that it hurt our cause.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Teratos, actually you are quite wrong. In the past year I have converted dozens of former "gun banners" to respecting ALL civil rights. While not as zealous an advocate as I am they now see the folly of banning guns. 12 of my 13 neighbors are now gun owners thanks to me -prior to knowing me - NONE owned guns. Several of my neighbors were die hard "liberals" but are now libertarians - thanks to my educating them.

So you see, I have empirical evidence that my advocacy DOES WORK.

If we all advocate as eloquently as I do - we CAN change minds. :-)

I am with Teratos, those people were not truly afraid. Those that are truly afraid will not be converted. Just like those averse to snakes or spiders vs those truly afraid. Advocacy works for the averse, not those with pathological fear.

We can change the opinions of those who disagree, not those who will not agree.

UNcommon Arms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 16, 2011
    Howard County
    I am with Teratos, those people were not truly afraid. Those that are truly afraid will not be converted. Just like those averse to snakes or spiders vs those truly afraid. Advocacy works for the averse, not those with pathological fear.

Then Mark you are also wrong. Some of my neighbors were truly afraid of firearms. But since they knew me as a kind, gently and educated man they listened to my cogent - non-emotional - arguments. I did not push them in to ownership. I answered their questions, let them touch the cold, benign steel of a firearm. Slowly they warmed up, asked to learn safe firearm handling and then inquired about purchasing.

It took time - some in as little as a few months, others that took a couple years. One former extreme liberal even lets me take his daughter to gun shows with my daughters.

I can turn ANY hoplophobe - if not into a firearm owner - at least an advocate for ALL civil rights.

Last edited:

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I don't subject my civil rights to referendum; I guard them zealously with my honor and life if necessary. Give me liberty of give me death,

Those who think their rights and/or opinions are up for referendum are ignorant.

You gonna choose death if we lose the court case?

MedInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 24, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    Really? Sounds like you failed with Frosh and MOM. What happened there?

It's a duty for WE to get rid of folks like Frosh and O'Malley .... Not just one man. How much money did you personally donate to political campaigns against the liberal progressive engines? Just saying.

UNcommon Arms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 16, 2011
    Howard County
    Really? Sounds like you failed with Frosh and MOM. What happened there?
    I haven't lived on their street and had their ear for enough time. Given the time I could even get Martin to shoot. Actually Martin loves guns - he has 3 armed guards; he just doesn't want you to have them. Typical liberal elitist "I get what I want but deny Hoi Polloi."

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    I've had many conversations with co-workers on this subject (the last section of your post). It seems I'm the only one in the office who understands history. (The real scary part... that's the fact that they're all allowed to vote too). It seems that they all think it can never happen again. Even though history has repeated itself time and time again... it's suddenly going to cease repeating itself anymore. I just don't understand how people can be so naive.

In case anyone missed it, here's a link to an article talking about the Arizona lawmaker who referred to Obama as 'De Fuhrer'.

http://news.yahoo.com/arizona-de-fuhrer-barton-obama-134942788.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CfxglRS6R8ASz_QtDMD

With regards to the first part of the post... it's definitely more challenging to educate people on the fun of shooting firearms. That's in large part due to the challenges of finding a place to shoot, now with all the urban development. I live near Columbia and as a kid we'd just go out in the horse pasture to site in the high powered rifles, or shoot clay pigeons. Can't do that anymore, and not many others can either. It was so easy to just take a firearm out back and have some fun. Now it's more of a chore. Plus, nowadays kids have their x boxes and play-stations. Seems it's OK for kids to act out killing people in a computer game, but target shooting out back with a real gun... that's taboo. Just seems like there's something wrong there.

Dude, you cant even shoot a BB rifle nor airsoft in Columbia. It's a misdemeanor.:sad20:

MedInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 24, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    He said he can personally convert anyone he talks to.

I know. I'm just being pragmatic about all this. I believe a firm number of forum members want to do the right thing and if they could have won the hearts and minds of the progressive legislature; we all would have gladly.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Advocacy works for the averse, not those with pathological fear.

Pathological fears are curable...zillions of dollars get spent on therapy in this country alone curing those fears. And we can do it for barely any cost through education and empathy. Ignorance and fear go hand in hand.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    No kidding?! Enforced?

Sec. 8.400. Definitions.

Terms in this subtitle have the meanings indicated.

(a)
    Blank ammunition: Any ammunition composed of a casing and a primer contained as one unit, but not containing a projectile or projectiles. Blank ammunition also includes black powder, nonprimed antique.
    (b)
    Department of Police: The Department of Police for Howard County.
    (c)
    Electronic weapon: Any instrument, "stun-gun," "TASER," or any similar device by whatever name which is designed as a weapon, capable of, or designed to be capable of, temporarily incapacitating another by the discharge of electrical current through projectile or nonprojectile means.
    (d)(1)
    Facility means a building, structure, or camp designed for occupancy or use by human beings.
    (2)
    Facility includes a dwelling, house, and residence.
    (e)
    Fixed ammunition: Any ammunition composed of a projectile or projectiles, a casing and a primer, all of which shall be contained as one unit.
    (f)
    Gun: Any firearm, rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol, air gun, air rifle or any similar mechanism by whatever name known which is designed to expel a projectile through a barrel by the action of any explosive, gas, compressed air, spring, or elastic.
    (g)
    Metropolitan District: The Howard County Metropolitan District as created and modified by the County Council pursuant to Howard County Code title 18, "Public Works," subtitle 1, "Public Utilities," and identified on official plats available for public inspection during reasonable office hours in the Department of Public Works.
    (h)
    Public Safety Officer. An individual who:
    (1)
    Is a sworn member of the Department of Police; or
    (2)
    Is a sworn member of a law enforcement agency of a department, county, or municipal corporation of the State of Maryland, or similar agencies of other states or the United States, and who has authority within the individual's jurisdiction to possess and use an electronic weapon.
    (i)
    Safety zone: means the area within a distance designated by section 8.403 of this subtitle from any facility where the discharge of firearms is prohibited by section 8.403 of this subtitle.
    (C.B. 33, 1976; C.B. 38, 1985; C.B. 7, 2007, § 1; C. B. 1, 2009, § 1)

Sec. 8.401. Discharge of guns—Prohibited.

(a)
    A person shall not discharge any gun within the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind.
    (b)
    A person shall not discharge any gun outside the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind, except at varmints on the ground.
    (c)
    A person shall not discharge a gun from, onto, across, or within 100 yards of a public road.
    (d)
    A person shall not, without the prior written consent of the property owner, discharge a gun on, from, onto, or across any public or private land.
    (e)
    This section shall not apply to:
    (1)
    The discharge of guns at any target, trap or skeet range or shooting area which has been inspected and received the written approval of the department of inspections, licenses and permits pursuant to section 8.406, "Authority to Inspect and Approve Ranges or Shooting Areas," of this subtitle; or to
    (2)
    The discharge of guns by any person in a private basement or cellar target range; or to
    (3)
    The discharge of guns where necessary to protect life or property, including crops or livestock, or to kill any dangerous threatening animal; or to
    (4)
    Any duly authorized law enforcement officer acting in the proper performance of his/her official duties; or to
    (5)
    The discharge of blank ammunition in theatrical performances, historical reenactments or sporting events; or to
    (6)
    The firing of salutes by firing squads at military funerals; or to
    (7)
    The discharge of guns by any person engaged in bona fide wildlife research activities.
    (C.B. 33, 1976; C.B. 10, 1985; C.B. 17, 1995; C. B. 1, 2009, § 1)

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Sec. 8.400. Definitions.

Terms in this subtitle have the meanings indicated.

(a)
    Blank ammunition: Any ammunition composed of a casing and a primer contained as one unit, but not containing a projectile or projectiles. Blank ammunition also includes black powder, nonprimed antique.
    (b)
    Department of Police: The Department of Police for Howard County.
    (c)
    Electronic weapon: Any instrument, "stun-gun," "TASER," or any similar device by whatever name which is designed as a weapon, capable of, or designed to be capable of, temporarily incapacitating another by the discharge of electrical current through projectile or nonprojectile means.
    (d)(1)
    Facility means a building, structure, or camp designed for occupancy or use by human beings.
    (2)
    Facility includes a dwelling, house, and residence.
    (e)
    Fixed ammunition: Any ammunition composed of a projectile or projectiles, a casing and a primer, all of which shall be contained as one unit.
    (f)
    Gun: Any firearm, rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol, air gun, air rifle or any similar mechanism by whatever name known which is designed to expel a projectile through a barrel by the action of any explosive, gas, compressed air, spring, or elastic.
    (g)
    Metropolitan District: The Howard County Metropolitan District as created and modified by the County Council pursuant to Howard County Code title 18, "Public Works," subtitle 1, "Public Utilities," and identified on official plats available for public inspection during reasonable office hours in the Department of Public Works.
    (h)
    Public Safety Officer. An individual who:
    (1)
    Is a sworn member of the Department of Police; or
    (2)
    Is a sworn member of a law enforcement agency of a department, county, or municipal corporation of the State of Maryland, or similar agencies of other states or the United States, and who has authority within the individual's jurisdiction to possess and use an electronic weapon.
    (i)
    Safety zone: means the area within a distance designated by section 8.403 of this subtitle from any facility where the discharge of firearms is prohibited by section 8.403 of this subtitle.
    (C.B. 33, 1976; C.B. 38, 1985; C.B. 7, 2007, § 1; C. B. 1, 2009, § 1)

Sec. 8.401. Discharge of guns—Prohibited.

(a)
    A person shall not discharge any gun within the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind.
    (b)
    A person shall not discharge any gun outside the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind, except at varmints on the ground.
    (c)
    A person shall not discharge a gun from, onto, across, or within 100 yards of a public road.
    (d)
    A person shall not, without the prior written consent of the property owner, discharge a gun on, from, onto, or across any public or private land.
    (e)
    This section shall not apply to:
    (1)
    The discharge of guns at any target, trap or skeet range or shooting area which has been inspected and received the written approval of the department of inspections, licenses and permits pursuant to section 8.406, "Authority to Inspect and Approve Ranges or Shooting Areas," of this subtitle; or to
    (2)
    The discharge of guns by any person in a private basement or cellar target range; or to
    (3)
    The discharge of guns where necessary to protect life or property, including crops or livestock, or to kill any dangerous threatening animal; or to
    (4)
    Any duly authorized law enforcement officer acting in the proper performance of his/her official duties; or to
    (5)
    The discharge of blank ammunition in theatrical performances, historical reenactments or sporting events; or to
    (6)
    The firing of salutes by firing squads at military funerals; or to
    (7)
    The discharge of guns by any person engaged in bona fide wildlife research activities.
    (C.B. 33, 1976; C.B. 10, 1985; C.B. 17, 1995; C. B. 1, 2009, § 1)

IANAL, but shouldn't that be against the state preemption law?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom