3D printing -- OK, MOM, see if you can get this one back in the box...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...al-firearms-license-to-manufacture-deal-guns/

On one level, it's really fascinating how completely and utterly clueless the gun control fanatics are. 3D printing is in the process of rapidly making all the restrictions contemplated by MOM and the rest about as impossible to enforce as one could imagine. This horse is Out. Of. The. Barn.

We can only hope that when it finally dawns on them they keel over in apoplectic shock...:lol2::lol2::lol2:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The best part is that you can purchase a printer for a few thousand and download the designs for nothing. It is legal to make your own firearm so long as you're the only one using it.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    No he won't.
    Every industry that makes tangible things will be using 3d printing at some point in the near future.

Parts can be made for just about anything with them; even body parts.

Now specifically targeting the manufacturing of goods related to firearms is a different story.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    No he won't.
    Every industry that makes tangible things will be using 3d printing at some point in the near future.

Parts can be made for just about anything with them; even body parts.

Now specifically targeting the manufacturing of goods related to firearms is a different story.

you are more optimistic about MOM's susceptibility to reason than am I, but I sincerely hope you are right and I am wrong ;)

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Confused

Apologies for my density but what has really changed here? I am definitely missing something. I don't know Cody Wilson or his work but, to my knowledge, 3-D printing only involves work with polymers, none of which can withstand the pressures generated by conventional cartridges. Quality metals are required for chambers, barrels and actions, which are still controlled and manufactured as always, so why is this any different than just carving the other parts out of wood for example or manufacturing on your own, more laboriously of course, parts some other way?

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    Just like it's illegal to pirate media and software. Good luck trying to prevent it!

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

They will simply add "possession" to the acts prohibited. Unlike contraband like marijuana, violation of laws against possession will not be plea-bargained away. And the conviction will be a bar to firearm ownership. Between this and the other anti-2A laws, they can whittle away our numbers to a pittance.

Much of this is a game of attitude. Look at how effective we have demonized smokers. The anti's will use the same tactics against 2A supporters.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...al-firearms-license-to-manufacture-deal-guns/

On one level, it's really fascinating how completely and utterly clueless the gun control fanatics are. 3D printing is in the process of rapidly making all the restrictions contemplated by MOM and the rest about as impossible to enforce as one could imagine. This horse is Out. Of. The. Barn.

We can only hope that when it finally dawns on them they keel over in apoplectic shock...:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Chairman Martinet O'Maolley won't have to lift a finger.

Someone will file a Federal suit claiming "interstate commerce"... much like someone growing their own wheat getting shut down, because the grain MIGHT make it into the market stream..........

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Apologies for my density but what has really changed here? I am definitely missing something. I don't know Cody Wilson or his work but, to my knowledge, 3-D printing only involves work with polymers, none of which can withstand the pressures generated by conventional cartridges. Quality metals are required for chambers, barrels and actions, which are still controlled and manufactured as always, so why is this any different than just carving the other parts out of wood for example or manufacturing on your own, more laboriously of course, parts some other way?

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    All .gov has to do is make ammunition hard to come by and then it doesn't matter how fancy a 3D printer you've gone out and purchased.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I think their aim is a bit bigger than just 3D printed guns, as no manufacturer is going to use that over injection molding for mass production.

I think their aim will be at rewriting the GCA and prohibit any creation of firearms by anyone other than licensed manufacturers.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I think their aim is a bit bigger than just 3D printed guns, as no manufacturer is going to use that over injection molding for mass production.

I think their aim will be at rewriting the GCA and prohibit any creation of firearms by anyone other than licensed manufacturers.
    Yeah...but...in 10 years will singer laser metal printers be at the forefront of the manufacturing process?

Can you say, 3d scanner to printed metal final product in a matter of hours? With interchangeable parts?

Hell, i will say in less than 5 years, someone will be able to buy a desktop sized CNC machine that will attach to their computer via USB, and will cost less than $500 bucks. I guess someone will have to outlaw hunks of metal and aluminum.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Hell, i will say in less than 5 years, someone will be able to buy a desktop sized CNC machine that will attach to their computer via USB, and will cost less than $500 bucks. I guess someone will have to outlaw hunks of metal and aluminum.

As I said above, not outlaw the blocks of material, but I do think they will try to make it illegal for anyone without an FFL to turn that raw material into a firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom