• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    How about printing replacement parts for the body?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16906549

Or blood vessels?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14946808

As far as guns, makes me wonder if in the future you will have to order a gun and then wait for it to be shipped. Imagine a FFL having one of these printers, the FFL being connected to the gun designers system and the FFL printing your gun. The FFL, being connected to the designer's network, would get a serial number from them and it would be logged into their database. An invoice would then be sent, electronically, and before the FFL releases the gun, you have to pay for it.

Such a printer would have to be able to print various metals and polymers.

Interesting discussion and concepts being thrown out there for marination. I think the priority should go into developing technologies to replace or replicate lost limbs/ body parts or give sight to the blind. God knows our veterans are certainly worthy of that effort. However, I do see the potential for future weapons customization with the further advancement of 3D tech. I personally would love the option to design my own rig beyond the current capability of slapping together parts.

RustyGunner

Sep 12, 2012
    Look into the RepRap project printers, they're roll-your-own and can make most of their own parts. The kits are on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom