PA
    Sorry if this is a repost.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/133514-the-worlds-first-3d-printed-gun

3d-printed-gun.jpg

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    It's not illegal to manufacture a firearm for yourself. It would be illegal to manufacture it for someone else though. Look into ar-15 80% lowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    It's not illegal to manufacture a firearm for yourself. It would be illegal to manufacture it for someone else though. Look into ar-15 80% lowers.

I know, what I mean is the author was pointing out that people who shouldn't be manufacturing could be manufacturing. If that makes sense. I'll edit that bit out again.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    Gotcha. I don't think these printers are something most people have access to. I think they're fairly pricey as well, at least they used to be.

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    Gotcha. I don't think these printers are something most people have access to. I think they're fairly pricey as well, at least they used to be.

To my knowledge they are commercially available, just really expensive.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I would think he needs to beef up the rear buffer tube hole and the take down pin holes. other than that pretty cool

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Interesting... stereolithography has been around for a while. I remember my father taking me to a SAE meeting at Lehigh University in 1990 where they demonstrated the ability to print a distributor cap. :thumbsup:

If I could print ANYTHING I want, it probably wouldn't be a lower receiver. ;)

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    is it just me or is that more or less a mock up that looks like the barrel extension sticking out the back

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    How about printing replacement parts for the body?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16906549

Or blood vessels?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14946808

As far as guns, makes me wonder if in the future you will have to order a gun and then wait for it to be shipped. Imagine a FFL having one of these printers, the FFL being connected to the gun designers system and the FFL printing your gun. The FFL, being connected to the designer's network, would get a serial number from them and it would be logged into their database. An invoice would then be sent, electronically, and before the FFL releases the gun, you have to pay for it.

Such a printer would have to be able to print various metals and polymers.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    At work, we had an equipment manufacturerer use this technology to make some parts for their labelers. They kept breaking and we had the parts made out of aluminum locally. From what I have seen of this technology it needs to come a long way before I would trust my life to it.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    What the future holds

At work, we had an equipment manufacturerer use this technology to make some parts for their labelers. They kept breaking and we had the parts made out of aluminum locally. From what I have seen of this technology it needs to come a long way before I would trust my life to it.

The 3d printing from resin has been around for 10 yrs or so. I see it becoming the star trek replicator in the next 50 yrs or so. Unless they come up with something better. The resin would be made of carbon filaments or some such compound - lighter and stronger than steel. It's new tech so do not put yourself at risk.
    Oh and that vacant warehouse down the street - the government has been printing replacement parts for weapons and vehicles for years. :innocent0

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Thinking this could be fun. "here, you have to make your own. Put this goop here and push this button" *fiddle fiddle* "ok, now you're good to go in 10 minutes"

Do these .igs files work with CNC machines? I'm inclined to think so. I'd like to have all these files in my end of the world bag. Could you imagine happening across a CNC machine and just cranking out parts?

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County

Printers are not what I would call pricey. A Makerbot is about $1700. If you have the ability, you can get printers for much less.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Printers are not what I would call pricey. A Makerbot is about $1700. If you have the ability, you can get printers for much less.
    IIRC, I've seen them even cheaper. A lot of it depends on what resolution and size you need from the printed part. I've sometimes thought about getting one and 3D printing some (original) wargaming miniatures, but that's a project for another day.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    it doesn't take a 3d printer to make a functional ar lower - people have made them out of wood, layers of cutting board bolted together, etc.

sure its the easiest way, but a cheap resourceful criminal doens't need a 3d printer to make a working lower.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think they cost about $100,000.

Why not just buy a CNC machine and do it right?

The anti's think people are going to buy one at Staples and take it home and print out neutron bombs, etc. For me, it just goes to show that you can't successfully legislate knowledge once it's out there. Good people will still do good things with technology/knowledge while the scum will use any gain for crime and easy gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom