• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I have an LCP. It is a great pistol for what it was made for.

I also have the LCP and I have the Crimson Trace laser. It is the best for that little mouse IMHO. The switch is a contact switch so it is only on when you push the button and off as soon as you release it.

Some one commented that it is not a pistol that you shoot for fun as it does sting a little due to the size and how hard it hits. Well if the shooter practices with the LCP wearing a fingerless padded glove, it does not sting so much.

And for those who have no confidence in the capability of the mouse guns...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxVer9byr48

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    I don't want to get into the age old argument about whether .380 is "enough". I picked up an M&P 9mm as well as a Walther PPK/S .380 a month ago.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I will say I really like the PPK/S. I like everything about the M&P, but the fact is I am more accurate with the Walther.

Pro: accuracy.

Pro: It is a very solid stainless steel gun. It feels balanced in the hand.

Pro / Con: It is very tight / well machined. It needs some break in time on the range to settle out. I have put about 150 rounds through it, and it needs that much more again.

Pro (for ME): It is a double action / single action with decocker. I have about decided I LIKE that for home defense, and may well select a 9mm pistol with that action once I can legally buy more. As a range toy you can of course cock the first round, and fire in single action only. (Note: for home defense, I want double action in the first round, because the last thing I want is anything resembling a hair trigger. I want the first round to require deliberate action, and to then be able to empty it easily as needed. The double action in the Walther is every bit of 10 pounds if not 15, and I like that. The single action is a very light and smooth 4 pounds.

Con: It is all stainless. Same weight as full size M&P. If you want the .380 to carry, it is a lot more to carry than the options you are looking at.

Pro: Because it does have some weight, it is not nearly as snappy to shoot.

Pro: For whatever reasons of balance, weight, design, or whatever, I find I can shoot the Walther as well / accurately one-handed as I can with a traditional two hand stance. For personal defense in the home when you may be needing the other hand to open doors, handle a cell to call 911, or hold a flashlight, this is a big plus as far as I am concerned.

Con: They have become impossible to find. They come with two magazines. Good luck on locating any extras.

(Note: the PPK/S carries 7 rounds. The PPK carries 6. That is the only difference I know of. I have never seen a PPK for sale, but I have seen magazines for the PPK with some frequency if that is of any help.)

Fact: An OLD knock on them was slide bite. But the ones made in the last few years have a larger beaver tale. I have had no issues, and doubt I ever will. Don't let that push away this option.

Con: The slide spring is very tight and hard to rack. It is easing with use, but it is designed to be tight and won't ease much. I bought the Walther for the lady of the house at her request, but the slide is hard for her to manage. I do fine with it, but just be aware this is a legitimate issue for those with weak hand strength.

Pro: It is just a personal opinion, but I just find the Walther to be a beautiful piece of machinery.

OK, I will make one comment on .380 vs 9mm. You probably know a .380 is a 9mm Kurtz, or 9mm short. They make the same size holes as a 9mm. Less muzzle velocity than a 9mm, and generally a smaller grain bullet. A Walther PPK/S has a longer barrel than almost all of the newer .380 designs so the velocity in a PPK/S will be slightly higher than the same round from a shorter barrel. Do the research and you will find a .380 in FMJ can get you 15 inches of penetration, which exceeds the FBI recommendation of at least 12 inches. But the .380 velocity isn't high enough for a JHP to reliably expand, and if it does the penetration drops fast down to more like 5 to 8 inches. So one piece of received wisdom in my research says go FMJ in a .380, and JHP in 9mm or more.

My two cents.

osmo919

Jan 27, 2013
    I have the S&W BG 380, love that little guy. Liked the feel and sights better than the LCP and Kel Tec. You should also include it in your search.

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    One other small detail about the Walther.

While my M&P drops spent brass virtually at my feet, the Walther really flings it a good 10 or 12 feet away. If that matters.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    X
    .380 is a "bare minimum" caliber for self-defense. A 9mm would be better. The LCP is a "bad breath" distance gun with a terrible trigger. If you have your heart set on a .380, check out a Bersa.

My wife got the Bersa .380 Thunder, nice gun great accuracy and low price. I got a Beretta PX4 in 9mm the same day, we're happy with both.

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    My wife purchased a bodyguard, still waiting for possession. I've had sticker shock buying .380 ammo. $.60/round for bulk range ammo, $1.00+ for good stuff. Crazy.

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    I know you did not ask but, the Makarov is a low cost alternative in .380. Have one as my backup plan and it has never had an issue. They basically ripped off the PPK in design. Little on the heavier side for a CC v. LCP, but it shoots great and never fails to go bang when you pull the trigger.....

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    IMO the LCP should be your back up or your choice when clothing does not allow a good conceal. They make a holster for every pocket. I have a holster for the side pocket on a pair of cargo shorts that also holds an extra mag. As far as distance goes, practice makes perfect with any weapon. I carry loaded with the winchester PDX-1. Quite frankly if you need to fire at someone over 15 feet, you will probably have a hard time in court proving the need for deadly force.

Turtle Man

Mar 17, 2013
    You know, I THOUGHT I had things narrowed down. You all have given me lots of good ideas and lots to think about. This is precisely why I posted the question here. Thanks for all of your input. I'll let you know what happens.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I disagree with the comment that the .380 is a worthless caliber. Having any gun is better than having no gun. I thinks it's smart to have a variety of guns in a variety of calibers, and train with all of them.

When I researched what I wanted in a .380, I went with the S & W Bodyguard; reliable, better sites, concealability, price point and the laser; but for the range one would use the gun for, I don't often use the laser. Happy with it. Fits in back pocket nicely, shoots well and accurately.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I know you did not ask but, the Makarov is a low cost alternative in .380. Have one as my backup plan and it has never had an issue. They basically ripped off the PPK in design. Little on the heavier side for a CC v. LCP, but it shoots great and never fails to go bang when you pull the trigger.....

I to have a .380 Makarov, and it is one of the most accurate guns I have in the collection. It will eat anything we feed it and shoots them all the same.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I to have a .380 Makarov, and it is one of the most accurate guns I have in the collection. It will eat anything we feed it and shoots them all the same.

A little Makarov .380 broke my heart on Gunbroker the other day ... it had a model designation was post '85 and not on MD's list :sad20:

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    A little Makarov .380 broke my heart on Gunbroker the other day ... it had a model designation was post '85 and not on MD's list :sad20:

hummm............... The one I have was bought brand new in Maryland in the mid 1990's from a gun shop with MDSP paper work.

Did they change the list? Did they take that gun off the list?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I have an LCP. It is a great pistol for what it was made for.

You conceal carry in a speedo often? :lol2:

I had the LCP with the crimson trace grip, for a purely defensive gun in situations where having anything noticeable might appear to be bad form, it's the right answer (e.g. better than no gun). People can hate on it all they want, but it could be the difference between living to fight another day and not living.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I have the S&W BG 380, love that little guy. Liked the feel and sights better than the LCP and Kel Tec. You should also include it in your search.
    Agree. I have one also. It has a nice weight and feel to it and the insight laser is a plus. I use it for warm weather carry under lighter clothing. I carry it in an Uncle Mike's IWB with shorts and T-shirt and it is invisible.

Attachments

• Bodygaurd .380.jpg
      Bodygaurd .380.jpg
      14.4 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads