• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • When I load rifle rounds, I sort by headstamp. When I load hot handgun rounds (.44 Mag, 10mm and .357 Sig) I sort by headstamp. When I load pistol plinkers (low to mid book charges) I just load 'em and shoot 'em.
    .38 Special is a different animal for me. EX- loading 4.0gr of Titegroup under a 125gr FMJ is a pretty mild load. My concern is just how low the case fill % is. I get concerned about possible double charges when loading, but I bet I could triple charge one of those without it overflowing.
    My question is... When loading .38 Special up to book +P loads, can I use all major brands of brass interchangeably? Meaning a mix of: FCC, PMC, WIN, Speer, Western, etc? I did separate the LC stamped brass that is being given to another member, so that has been culled out.

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    When I load rifle rounds, I sort by headstamp. When I load hot handgun rounds (.44 Mag, 10mm and .357 Sig) I sort by headstamp. When I load pistol plinkers (low to mid book charges) I just load 'em and shoot 'em.
    .38 Special is a different animal for me. EX- loading 4.0gr of Titegroup under a 125gr FMJ is a pretty mild load. My concern is just how low the case fill % is. I get concerned about possible double charges when loading, but I bet I could triple charge one of those without it overflowing.
    My question is... When loading .38 Special up to book +P loads, can I use all major brands of brass interchangeably? Meaning a mix of: FCC, PMC, WIN, Speer, Western, etc? I did separate the LC stamped brass that is being given to another member, so that has been culled out.
    I mix .38spl cases of all sorts unless it is for a specific purpose. I DO cull my wadcutter cases just for 148 wadcutter loads for an old bullseye 1911.

I load 158s, typically, and I've never worried about sorting by headstamp for plinking ammo. My default load is in the +p data range. I still have all my fingers. Mostly shooting these in my j frames.

I mix .38spl cases of all sorts unless it is for a specific purpose. I DO cull my wadcutter cases just for 148 wadcutter loads for an old bullseye 1911.

I load 158s, typically, and I've never worried about sorting by headstamp for plinking ammo. My default load is in the +p data range. I still have all my fingers. Mostly shooting these in my j frames.
    Something like this?
    I might have something significant for our next reloading swap.

Attachments

• 20240417_231613.jpg
      20240417_231613.jpg
      355.5 KB · Views: 21

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    4g64 was referring to the originally Wadcutter cases , where the cannelure is almost halfway down the case .

Virtually all Commercial. 38 Spl cases can be used interchangeablely as you describe .

True Mil Spec cases will have up to 10% less volume . ( Going by memory , but something on that order ) .

* Probably * still safe , but the pressure difference is measurable.

But you would want to segregate Mil Spec anyway , because the thicker case walls will require different crimp adjustments .

Added - If a Bullseye or PPC gun capable of extreme accuracy, cases sorted by Brand or even lot * might * make a measurable difference .

I know I've loaded random mixed range brass that could give 1.0 in groups @ 25 yds , so up to that level of accuracy of gun and shooter , mixed brass isn't a limiting factor.

Last edited:
    4g64 was referring to the originally Wadcutter cases , where the cannelure is almost halfway down the case .
    Those are the exact cases inside the box pictured. I have a ton of them in the boxes, once fired.
    Post #1 was edited to include an underline about LC brass (likely milspec).

Attachments

• 20240418_002157.jpg
      20240418_002157.jpg
      225.2 KB · Views: 22
    Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , those .
    Back in the day , all the mfg had equivalent.

Could you use such cases safely with " normal " bullets ? Sure . It would be the functional equivalent of using a non cannelure case , except it would be more prone to stretching.

4g64 has a niche purpose where he wants to use low cannelure cases on purpose.

Yes , those .

Could you use such cases safely with " normal " bullets ? Sure . It would be the functional equivalent of using a non cannelure case , except it would be more prone to stretching.

Gotcha.
    4G64 and I trade reloading equipment and I have LOTS of .38 Special brass. If these fit his 148gr WC niche and are of no special value to me, they will be headed his way. I have close to 1000 of them, in boxes, that still have the factory red sealant around the primers- presumably once fired.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Something like this?
    I might have something significant for our next reloading swap.
    Exactly that. I segregate them because they have a thinner wall further down towards the case head. The bottoms of the case have a sharper "corner" at the web with less.taper than other cases. These are specifically for the 148gr hollow base wadcutter bullets. I still have your 450bm brass, don't worry.
    Yes , those .

This is all perfectly accurate and explains the "why" very well. Biggfoot is indeed correct that I have a very narrow niche purpose. I own a 1911 that fires .38spl full wadcutter loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom