• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Is anyone else excited about this caliber? 35 Remington ballistics, 35 caliber, 200 grain Remington Core-Lokt bullet in a straight wall cartridge with a nice rifle like a Henry lever action makes it sound like it’s going to be great deer medicine for this state. I would like one with a stainless, 16-20” threaded barrel and a walnut stock with a crisp 3 lb trigger. A guy can dream

Attachments

• 528F32A8-9786-401C-807B-11DE353BED76.jpeg
      528F32A8-9786-401C-807B-11DE353BED76.jpeg
      29.9 KB · Views: 58

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    How does this compare to the. 350 Legend?

This is starting to feel like the battle of the short magnums. Lots came out, but only a few stuck.
    More powerful than 350 Legend, larger diameter bullet, better sectional density with proven Core-Lokt bullets

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think the buckhammer is aimed at lever guns vs the legend going more for the AR crowd.

Either could make sense in a straight wall state. However, neither excite me much as I don't have the need to fill.

Meatgrinder has it right, not all will make it so unless one is a handloader I would go a bit slow. Seems legend has plenty of ammo on the shelves and a good headstart.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    How does this compare to the. 350 Legend?

This is starting to feel like the battle of the short magnums. Lots came out, but only a few stuck.
    This is a rimmed 30-30 blown out to 35cal to fit under the "straight wall" law many states have for hunting regs. Best in lever actions. The 350 legend is basically a 5.56 shortened and blown out to 35cal to fit in the AR15 platform.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    This is a rimmed 30-30 blown out to 35cal to fit under the "straight wall" law many states have for hunting regs. Best in lever actions. The 350 legend is basically a 5.56 shortened and blown out to 35cal to fit in the AR15 platform.
    I was reading this very thing on ammoland today. Right now I can get a bolt action in. 350 Legend. I assume next year I can get a bolt action in. 360 Buckhammer. Which is better, particularly for within 100 yards?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I was reading this very thing on ammoland today. Right now I can get a bolt action in. 350 Legend. I assume next year I can get a bolt action in. 360 Buckhammer. Which is better, particularly for within 100 yards?
    Inside 100 yards? Trajectory is no issue. The .360 delivers more energy. What do you mean "better"?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This one has a chart to show the difference
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/360-buckhammer/

It's apples and orangutans, the legend is compact, rimless, and fits in a .223 length action, the Buckhammer being rimmed is a lever action round that might have feeding issues in some box mags. It does have more power, but if that chart is to be belived, it's advantage almost disappears within 200 yards. Probably a decent brush gun, most likely a few yards or an inch difference in shot placement or deer size would make a bigger difference than which of the calibers fired the bullet. 450 Bushmaster should have more power than the Buckhammer though. The main thing I see this doing is replacing 35Rem, primarily in lever guns. Of course if you are not limited to straight walled cartridges, I don't think it could hang with most any short action 308 based caliber.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    It'll be interesting to see how this rifle/cartridge pairing is received. It will appeal to the hunter who would otherwise hunt with a .30/30 or .35 Remington lever action, but cannot choose either cartridge in straight wall states. And to someone who wants excellent lever action handling characteristics, or lever action aesthetics, and as such would have no desire to take an AR platform rifle afield.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I think the buckhammer is aimed at lever guns vs the legend going more for the AR crowd.

Either could make sense in a straight wall state. However, neither excite me much as I don't have the need to fill.

Meatgrinder has it right, not all will make it so unless one is a handloader I would go a bit slow. Seems legend has plenty of ammo on the shelves and a good headstart.
    Henry Rifles seem to agree.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Actually the only thing the 350 shares in common with the 5.56 or any other cartridge is the head. The 350 Legend case is a totally different designed case and can't be made from other casings, one of the 350's downfalls.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    More powerful than 350 Legend, larger diameter bullet, better sectional density with proven Core-Lokt bullets
    Saami spec show the 350 Legend bullet .354-.357"(.357-.0030) That's only a few .001" smaller than the .358". Hornady loads a .355 bullet while Winchester uses a .357 designed for rifle velocities.
    The real question is why Winchester didn't just go with a .358 and use existing .35 caliber rifle bullet ($$?) .357 and 9mm pistol bullets are considered too fragile when driven at rifle velocity.

Last edited:

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I'm curios to see that too, if someone comes out with a bolt action.
    The rimmed case is not considered ideal for a box magazine because of the rim end being fatter and the rim catching on the cartridge below in a box magazine. There's been a few 30-30 bolt actions over the years, also 22 Hornet, 32-20, 218 Bee, and some others have a rim in bolt action rifles, the 220 Swift is semi-rimmed, the 30-40 Krag but that had different a type magazine.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    “It'll be interesting to see how this rifle/cartridge pairing is received. It will appeal to the hunter who would otherwise hunt with a .30/30 or .35 Remington lever action, but cannot choose either cartridge in straight wall states. And to someone who wants excellent lever action handling characteristics, or lever action aesthetics, and as such would have no desire to take an AR platform rifle afield.”

Excellent points

Being former military I have no desire to schlub an MSR deer hunting. If my county allowed I’d definitely carry a 35 Remington Marlin 336 or Henry Big Boy. I think this cartridge will succeed because it recoils between 357 Magnum, 350 Legend and 45-70 or 450 bushmaster yet has the ballistics of one of the best woods bullets ever created, the 35 Remington 200 grain Core-Lokt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom