• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    I got my wife an SP101 327 a couple of years ago when she started shooting with me. She is really proud of it and loves to shoot it. It got me interested in the 32 round and as a result, I bought myself a Taurus 731 revolver, which is snubby on the Taurus jframe, very similar to the S&W 431/331 size model.

I just bought a box of Buffalo Bore 32 H&R +P rounds. Using my trusty chrony, I shot two cylinders (12 rounds) and averaged 1160 fps out of the snubby. It is a 100 gr JHP. This calculates to about 300 ft-lbs of energy.

I have had 380 semi autos that produced 200 ft-lbs that were twice as recoil snappy as this 731 with these Buffalo Bore 32's. I really do like this caliber and to get 300 ft lbs out of such a smooth shooting small revolver........well, I'm glad I decided to buy the little 731. It is also great as it makes two guns my wife will happily shoot now.

By the way, that SP101 with the GD 115 gr 327 federal rounds is right at 398 ft-lbs. The 32/327 just shoots smoother to me, and my wife, than the 38/357 counterparts, for very similar energy levels.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    For a long time it seemed like .32 caliber in general had become obsolete for use in handguns that weren't antiques, range toys, a training piece to get new shooters over the fear of recoil, or the most extreme sub-compact carry pieces. I was excited for Federal to breathe new life into it with the .327 round as I've always enjoyed shooting .32 handguns (although loading .32ACP pistol mags can suck lol). Its true "stopping power" I think is still in question, but there's no doubt that its ballistics coupled with being able to fit 6 shots in a small frame revolver immediately qualifies it as a good general purpose farm/trail/hiking caliber. Low recoil, low weight, hits like a hammer, and all the durability of a quality revolver would have me going with a .327 over a .38/.357 whenever I go to purchase one (likely my next gun purchase).

I think the biggest issue is relative obscurity and high prices of the ammunition. I think what gives the edge to the .357 for most folks is cheaper and far more readily available ammunition; although during this ridiculous ammo shortage of 2013 with everyone creating the very problem they're complaining about by buying up all the ammo they can find for no real reason my .32 guns are actually easier to find ammo (I had one manager willing to waive the ammo limit per customer for me just because I was willing to buy all 10 boxes haha). I'm leaning more towards .327 Federal since I already have another revolver that shoots .32 S&W Short/Long so if I'm just plinking I can shoot both on the same box of impossible to find ammo (I love the blank stares newer ammo store employees give me when I ask for it) and with a heavier gun chambered for .327 those little .32 S&W Shorts will probably feel like .22 haha!

Oh and CAS_Shooter, I'm not sure if you're familiar with .32 S&W at all, but it is one of the most inherently accurate calibers you can shoot and is still popular to this day in competitive target shooting events in Europe (or so I hear). If you ever come across a box make sure to pick it up as it would make for some awesome paper punching!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom