• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I picked up a couple of EMF Hartford SAA's in 32-20. I'm looking at 115gr lead bullets so I can finally shoot a CAS match. I looked at some loads in the two reloading manuals I have, and neither mention Trail Boss, which I would prefer to use in this application. Does anyone have a load for Trail Boss and this cartridge? I used to have one written down but I can't find it now.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    FWIW if your loading a long cased round with a small charge, Titegroup is a great powder, as its not position sensitive. Load data for that powder is shown on Hodgons data page.

Ive been using it for 45 colt standard cowboy loads with lead bullets and its been very good accuracy wise. The cases dont soot up like some of the other powders do either.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The nice thing about Trail Boss is it's very bulky for its weight. IIRC that max load takes up more than half of the case. No way to do a double charge with Trail Boss. Same with the .45 Colt loads I did with it. I had to keep checking my Win 94 when I used those loads in it since it had almost no recoil and I kept wondering if the bullets were making it out of the barrel.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Rules here:

http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/SASSHandbookVers19-2014.pdf

The minimum standard for center-fire ammunition used in all smokeless categories in all SASS
    matches State, Regional, National, International, and World Championship Competitions is not
    less than a minimum power factor of 60 and no velocity may be less than 400 fps. The
    maximum velocity standard for revolvers is 1000 fps. The maximum velocity standard for rifles
    is 1400 fps. Pocket pistols, derringers, and long-range rifles are exempt from the power factor
    and velocity requirements.

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    I've been shooting cowboy for the last 6 months, 45 Colt, in Colt SAAs.

I load with both HP-38 and Trailboss, depending on what I can find. They both shoot well, but I think that Trailboss is a little better (filling the case) and a little cleaner.

I usually do pretty well just swinging by Bass Pro in Arundel Mills. They get it in pretty regularly, and I guess there isn't a lot of demand.

Good luck, and welcome to Cowboy! I'm not super experienced, but since I'm new I might have some fresh lessons learned from gearing up. Feel free to PM me if I can help.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've got 250 of these on the way, should be here tomorrow. I'll be loading them up tomorrow night with the TB and testing them Saturday. Should be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom