• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I'll get a picture eventually, of the rifle (armedferret has one he took...hint hint):

Stock Remington 5r Milspec, Bedded the original HS Precision stock, Badger rings, Super Sniper fixed 16x, stock trigger adjusted to about 2.5lbs.

I think I found what it likes to eat...

Left: 100yds 175gr SMKs, 43.5gr Reloader 15, COAL 2.800 - 3 rounds
    Right: 100yds 178gr AMax, 44.5gr Reloader 15, COAL 2.800 - 3 rounds

Attachments

• 175grSMK.jpg
      175grSMK.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 342
    • 178grAMax.jpg
      178grAMax.jpg
      58 KB · Views: 349

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Ummm you mean top and bottom, not left and right. Oh and awesome shooting and reloading. There really is nothing more rewarding then working up that magic load.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I have a widescreen monitor, so it displays left to right for me...didn't realize it would be different...so yeah, top to bottom in some cases.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Wow, I have a Remington 700 5R in .308 as well and I am not shooting nearly as well as you yet. I definitely need to work on my skill.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Very nice. You're well under 1/2 moa. Did you record your velocities?

Unfortunately no...as my chrono sticks were shot by someone else who "just wanted to see" last time out at the range and I'm waiting for him to replace them. Chrony is said they'd just send a pair, but still waiting. Once they are in I'll re-zero with velocities so I can plug them in to my Knights Armorment ballistics calculator (iPhone app...yep, there's an app for that).

EDIT:
    I have previously chrono'd the 175gr SMK load before and was averaging 2650fps, +-5 fps. All rounds were with new Winchester brass and CCI large rifle primers.

Edit the second...
    Of course with my chrony last time I didn't measure the distance of 10' from the crown, it was pure guestimation...so...take that for what it's worth...

Last edited:

300RUM

Custom Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    North East
    Unfortunately no...as my chrono sticks were shot by someone else who "just wanted to see" last time out at the range and I'm waiting for him to replace them. Chrony is said they'd just send a pair, but still waiting. Once they are in I'll re-zero with velocities so I can plug them in to my Knights Armorment ballistics calculator (iPhone app...yep, there's an app for that).

I haven't tried it yet, but have read that a lot of guys just use wood dowels. I've been meaning to get some just for that reason

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    course...100yds is easy sauce. I've only shot out to 300yds with this rifle and can easily hit steel, soda bottles, etc. I've never tried to shoot groups at 300 or further...I think groups @300 will be next. The real trick will be to shoot real distance and learning to read wind speeds out to 1k yards or so...

100yds vs 1k yards is a whole different animal...Maybe I can hook up with Ed some time and learn to shoot real distances ;)

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Nice shootin frozen!

I have had the best results using 43.5 gr of reloader 15 and can shoot 5 shot 1/4 inch groups out of my 700P with that load.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Cue Ferret with the pic of the rifle:

gunslinger_308_500.jpg

Gettin kinda pissed I haven't found a load my .308 will shoot well. :\

Oh well. Knowing how off-spec my SMK's were, I'm not quitting yet. ;)

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    To resurrect an old thread...

Here is that 178gr AMax load at 200yds, 5 rounds. The coin is a dime.

EDIT:
    As stated before...time to find a way to get some true long range time in to see how woefully pathetic my wind reading skills are.

Attachments

• 200.jpg
      200.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 256

Eudaimonia

Sep 1, 2009
    To resurrect an old thread...

Here is that 178gr AMax load at 200yds, 5 rounds. The coin is a dime.

EDIT:
    As stated before...time to find a way to get some true long range time in to see how woefully pathetic my wind reading skills are.

NICE SHOOTING!

I gotta get me a .308.

dzlfarmboy

Feb 18, 2010
    Centreville, MD
    Here's a couple groups of different Reloader 15 rounds I have been playing with.

All with 175gr SMK
    #25 is 41.5g of R15
    #26 is 42.0g of R15
    #27 is 42.5g of R15
    I have some more of #27 loaded up im gonna try out soon. #27 was pushin on average 2565fps
    1274661107.jpg

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Very nice shooting! How do you like the SS 16x? I've got an SPS Tactical and am trying to figure out which tactical scope to get for it. Was looking at the 10x HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom