• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I might do that accurate mag well conversion. The muzzle brake on the Savage does a pretty good job too.

I still have to install that conversion on my son's 10 FCP-SR.
    I also bought a Magpul Hunter stock and bottom metal for my Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD.

Now, the only thing is making sure that my son doesn't walk away with the Magpul AICS magazines!!!!!!!!

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    The AICS mags will fit as well as the Magpul mags made for their Rem 700 bottom "metal" plastic , I have ran them in my Ruger scout and they work better than the factory Ruger mags .They also have a much better price point over factory Ruger and AICS mags.

I currently have Wyatt bottom metal in my 700 that I am going to switch to the Magpul so I can run the same Magazine in both the Scout and the 700.

Curious about this.
    A good friend has the Ruger Scout rifle, and IF memory serves me, he said that the Ruger has a proprietary magazine.

????? :shrug: :shrug: ?????

I thought that the Mossberg bolt action "scout type" rifle would accept AICS and/or M14/M1A type magazines.

ETA: I got some time, so, I did some looking around the 'net.
    From what I'm reading, the AICS magazines will/do fit the Ruger GSR rifle.

The 1895G is a fantastic carbine.

I've always been a fan of the .45-70, and IMNSHO, there is no reason to "hot rod" the grand ole "catridge", but, it'll withstand quite a bit of hot reloads.

I've loaded quite a bit for the .45-70, and they are quite capable of handling fairly 'stout' loads.
    (I've personally pushed 405 grain gas-checked, hardcast boolits to 1900 fps...... and NO!, I did NOT enjoy them!!!!!!) Ha!

This is another reason I say it's not necessary to "hot rod" it!

SigScout

Feb 3, 2017
    Ok, forgive me but I'm suffering for information overload. I have been looking at the Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD .308 (don't ask me why I'm researching this to death...) Is there an option where I can use a detachable 10 round magazine that is reliable? or, if I go with the Remington 700 should I stick with the internal mag...?

Or, anyone feel free to answer this as bluntly as possible. Am I just being difficult and stupid to try and make a Remington 700 into what the Ruger already is?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I can only give my experience with the RGS. It has been 100% reliable with 3, 5 and 10 round mags. Both polymer and metal. All the mags I have are Ruger.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Ok, forgive me but I'm suffering for information overload. I have been looking at the Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD .308 (don't ask me why I'm researching this to death...) Is there an option where I can use a detachable 10 round magazine that is reliable? or, if I go with the Remington 700 should I stick with the internal mag...?

Or, anyone feel free to answer this as bluntly as possible. Am I just being difficult and stupid to try and make a Remington 700 into what the Ruger already is?

Why recreate what the Ruger Gunsite is already? It's the closest to the Scout concept that Mr. Cooper wrote about. The only other Scout I'd even consider is the Steyr, but that is a lot more money.

The Ruger is accurate (capable of 1 MOA or better), rugged, reliable, and fairly priced. It's my first Ruger rifle, as I'm a Remington man, but it's a great rifle. Again, the only negative is the Mauser action is stiff at first.

YMMV

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

Magpul stock and bottom metal will get you a fascimile of what the Ruger is (DBM fed rifle from 5-10 rounds) uses AICS pattern mags just like the Ruger.
    What it doesn't get you is robust iron sights or a forward mounted scope in a true "scout" configuration.

But the scout is an outdated concept and a low powered (1-4/6) variable magnification scope will get you there equally well. Or pop an Aimpoint on there, or if you shrivel at the mention of batteries spring for an ACOG or a VCOG.

I'd buy the Magpul stuff so you can use M-Lok accesories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom