• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I assume the pin is heavier

Which leads me to another question: how does a universal decapping die center the case? I had always assumed the alignment came from the die.'

And finally I assume once I ave swaged the pocket its good to go same as brass that was never crimped in the first place?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

Which leads me to another question: how does a universal decapping die center the case? I had always assumed the alignment came from the die.'

And finally I assume once I ave swaged the pocket its good to go same as brass that was never crimped in the first place?

To answer your questions:

- As long as you are using the correct shell holder for your case, the Lee Universal decapping die pin will be centered for Boxer-primed cases. The decapping pin is robust and "guaranteed". Don't try to decap Berdan-primed cases with it tho... :nono:

- Once you've swaged a case it should be GTG for future use. As mentioned before, swaged cases can still be harder to prime. If they are an issue... I toss them.

Here's a pic of the Lee die. For about $10 it's a very good item to have in your reloading tools.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_1996 Lee Universal Decapping Die SNIP.jpg
      IMG_1996 Lee Universal Decapping Die SNIP.jpg
      55.9 KB · Views: 229

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

The other thing is, the whole decapping pin and rod are held such that with the pressure gets high enough, it slips, instead of breaking the pin.

You CAN break the pin. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One other issue with reaming versus swaging the primer crimp is, with reaming, you can over ream and end up with a looser than desired primer pocket.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I ordered the Dillon Swager. It should arrive sometime this week. Needed, since i have 2 cases of 30-06, all military. Guess I ought to buy a couple extra decapping pins as well.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I swag ALL military primer pockets just to be sure. I've had some that were still tight after swaging. Youll love the dillon. I use a mighty armory decap die, its tough as nails. I've bent a pin or 2 in the Lee decapper but never in the MA die.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    i'm now able to feel when the pocket is too tight to accept a primer. I plan to set those aside and swage them once I have a sufficient quantity to add the additional off press step.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Looked at the Lee site and Amazon. They both list a replacement decapping pin. It appears they both only stock the pin for the universal decapping die. Are the pins all the same, of do I need to buy a replacement pin for each die set I own? Reloading 44 mag, 45 auto, 9mm, 308 and 30-06. Don't have a universal decapping die.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Looked at the Lee site and Amazon. They both list a replacement decapping pin. It appears they both only stock the pin for the universal decapping die. Are the pins all the same, of do I need to buy a replacement pin for each die set I own? Reloading 44 mag, 45 auto, 9mm, 308 and 30-06. Don't have a universal decapping die.

Are the pins all the same? No. Different sizing dies can easily have a different decapping pin. In all honesty I've broken exactly one Lee decapping pin in the past 30 years so I don't keep spares on hand. The design of the dies allows for the pin to recede through it's locking nut if it meets excessive resistance - as long as you don't have it overly torqued. RCBS dies? different story.

Lee makes heavy duty decappers for the Universal Decapping Die. Having a spare 30 cal on hand would be fine if it makes you feel more comfortable:
    https://leeprecision.com/heavy-duty-guided-decappers/

:)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You need spare decapping pins for each BRAND of dies you have.

Lee pins are different from RCBS pins which are different from Lyman pins .....

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Is there any reason i should NOT run all my military brass through the swager each time I reload it?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is there any reason i should NOT run all my military brass through the swager each time I reload it?

I'll use the inside deburring tool on my prep station to remove that stubborn little edge of the crimp. Just don't get carried away. You will never have to fight the primers again.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Once it is swaged, hitting the swager again will not work the brass. It is already swaged to the new shape.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Like I said, every time you swage the case it will work harden the head of the case.
    If the reformed primer pocket accepts the primer, swaging would not then be necessary would it?

No, it is not necessary, but it does not work hard the head, because you are not working it.

Once you form the primer pocket with the swage, the next time, it does not move any metal.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    The OPs question was, Is there any reason i should NOT run all my military brass through the swager each time I reload it?

Answer was-Yes, every time you work harden the case head it becomes more and more brittle.

Lets not get hung up on the fact that once the crimp is removed and satisfactory primer seating/prep has produced a satisfactory handload...........

Just by firing the rifle the case head becomes work hardened.

Therefore it will stand to reason, the displaced annular ring that has been effectively swaged back into the pocket and in to the parent metal again should not return to hamper the seating of the new primer. It's been work hardened at this point or you removed it unwittingly with a uniforming tool.

Usually in a well fit rifle, normal case head expansion has already contributed to the work hardening of the brass as well and it should not continue to expand that cracks form in the web.

Again......Answer was-Yes, every time you work harden the case head it becomes more and more brittle.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    More to the point of the question though...once swagged there is no need to re-swag the brass again. It's a waste of time, because you only need to do it once. It's not like having to trim brass. It's a one and done thing.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    More to the point of the question though...once swagged there is no need to re-swag the brass again. It's a waste of time, because you only need to do it once. It's not like having to trim brass. It's a one and done thing.

For the casual re-loader yes. Some hand-loaders will swage the head of the case again to get more use for primer pockets that have loosened.
    I guess theirs a difference from making ammunition for some guns vs just reloading for it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The OPs question was, Is there any reason i should NOT run all my military brass through the swager each time I reload it?

Answer was-Yes, every time you work harden the case head it becomes more and more brittle.

Lets not get hung up on the fact that once the crimp is removed and satisfactory primer seating/prep has produced a satisfactory handload...........

Just by firing the rifle the case head becomes work hardened.

Therefore it will stand to reason, the displaced annular ring that has been effectively swaged back into the pocket and in to the parent metal again should not return to hamper the seating of the new primer. It's been work hardened at this point or you removed it unwittingly with a uniforming tool.

Usually in a well fit rifle, normal case head expansion has already contributed to the work hardening of the brass as well and it should not continue to expand that cracks form in the web.

Again......Answer was-Yes, every time you work harden the case head it becomes more and more brittle.

If you are actually working the brass each time you swage it, the primer would get harder and harder to seat.

And measure your case heads. How much to they change in side?

Hmm, ever notice that the sizing die does not actually size the case head? It stops above the web.

Oh, and BTW, it is was a big problem, why would commercial reloaders use Dillon 1050 machines, which swage the primer pocket for every reloading??????

And finally, have you ever had a case head crack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom