• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I have one of these that I'm thinking of selling. I've looked on Gunbroker and have seen prices from around $800 to $1,200. The rifle is in good condition (I've only fired it once for about 10 rounds total). It is not mint nor is it a 'relic'. It's a good honest shooter and would make someone a great deer rifle. Has anyone seen any in this area and know what they are bringing locally?
    I'm trying to finance a different type of rifle so I don't want to give it away, at the same time I want the buyer to feel they got a fair deal.
    Thanks for any input/suggestion.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Post some pics

I love 99s. I have a 1912 made one in .30-30. The .308 varient was made toward the end of their run IIRC. Beautiful guns

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    IIRC there were two different models. One was maybe external mag fed and the other had an internal rotary. I could be wrong but I also think that made a difference on the value/popularity. 99C vs 99A. C was the detach mag I think.
    This is NOT a 99c (clip). It has the internal rotary magazine. I forget if it has the round counting feature though. :-)

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Post some pics

I love 99s. I have a 1912 made one in .30-30. The .308 varient was made toward the end of their run IIRC. Beautiful guns
    I'll try and do that, but not until another day. Too many things to do right now.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If it's drilled and tapped that can affect value as well on the older ones. It was super common since they were hunting guns. I looked til I found a virgin one

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    If it's drilled and tapped that can affect value as well on the older ones. It was super common since they were hunting guns. I looked til I found a virgin one
    Okay, I went and looked the serial number has it manf. in 1956. So not a bad as those made in the 1960's and later. It is NOT drilled and tapped for scope mounts. It does, though, have a Lyman receiver sight mounted. It also came with a sling which may or may not go with the rifle.
    Now, I did find I still had a Savage 99 in 250-3000 manf. in 1924; HOWEVER, that one was 'mutilated' when I got it. The receiver was drilled and tapped and the scope rings are still on it. They are the type, fashionable in the 60's or 70's that allowed viewing under the scope to use the iron sights, or look through the scope. I'm not fond of that 'feature' as it places the scope too high on most rifles (comb is too low). This one I've never shot. It appears the lever was chrome plated, which I don't think was a factory option.
    Unfortunately, I did not check to see if either of these two were take down. I know I had one at one time. I'm almost positive the .308 Winchester is NOT.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    We used to joke that the Savage 99 was the State Gun of Pennsylvania because 20-30 years ago, you would go to a Pa gun show and see at least 2 or 3 tables of 99s.

I still regret not buying a almost NIB Attic Find Takedown in 300 Savage for practically a song.

Too pennywise and dollar foolish for my own good that day.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Is it a pre-mil?

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk
    It does not have a tang safety if that's what you're asking, it's located on the lever. None of mine have a tang safety. These two were manufactured way before SN 1,000,000 (1924 and 1956). By SN 1,000,000 the tooling was getting really worn out and quality was going down hill. The cost to re-tool vs. what they could retail them for just wasn't profitable any longer. Savage 99's took a lot of machining, very old school.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom