• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcsnowden1

May 1, 2022
    Frederick
    My rifle loves both . . . which one would you go with for deer season in MD?

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 10.58.25 AM.png

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Where are you shooting them from and how much of each do you have? I like being able to shoot a box before the season and have at least a full box on hand. Both for shooting (which hopefully is 1 round for 1 deer), and also in case I need to sight in again for some reason.

The 178s are likely to cause a little less meat damage, but also less likely to DRT at short range. The 178s will also likely penetrate deeper.

Either work just fine on deer.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you had mentioned Elk , or waaay long range , it would be a clear answer .

But for Maryland whitetail , either will be fine , and one of them is less expensive and more available .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Good question!

Hornady goes to great lengths to tout both the long range and the short range performance of their ELD-X.

For long range, I'd choose the ELD-X without question. But I'd be very curious to see how this bullet performs at what are likely to be the less than 100 yard Maryland shot opportunities that I think you're most likely to encounter, and by a very wide margin. I'd want to recover a few ELD-X bullets shot at ranges of less than 100 yards myself to say that they're really a clear choice over Core-Lokt.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'll agree with others saying it doesn't matter and whatever you have the most of or is cheapest.

If you can easily kill it with a sharp stick (arrow), the differences in .308 hunting ammo is purely academic.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    My rifle loves both . . . which one would you go with for deer season in MD?

Given the typical hunting conditions in Maryland and deer size, both will work just fine and should result in dead deer if you have an appropriate shot placement.
    What might make or break the deal for you is not the bullet or ammo if both perform identical out of your rifle but rather availability. Pick whatever you have a supply for the whole season on hand. And yes, that will include re-sighting in if you are worried about missing after dropping the rifle etc.

As a personal preference - core lokt, but that is just a personal preference and not a qualified distinction between the two.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Good question!

Hornady goes to great lengths to tout both the long range and the short range performance of their ELD-X.

For long range, I'd choose the ELD-X without question. But I'd be very curious to see how this bullet performs at what are likely to be the less than 100 yard Maryland shot opportunities that I think you're most likely to encounter, and by a very wide margin. I'd want to recover a few ELD-X bullets shot at ranges of less than 100 yards myself to say that they're really a clear choice over Core-Lokt.

Are ELD-X excellent high tech very versatile bullets ? Sure .

While not as versatile , deer at " normal " distances are very much well matched to traditional Soft Point 150gr from .308 .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Are ELD-X excellent high tech very versatile bullets ? Sure .

While not as versatile , deer at " normal " distances are very much well matched to traditional Soft Point 150gr from .308 .
    I agree. There is such a thing as so called "premium" bullets having design that actually produces worse than optimal short range performance on thin skinned deer of typical size.

Core-Lokt has been killing deer for 83 years. It's on the shelves from city shops to backwoods gas stations too.

Sometimes, "plenty good enough" gets lost in the debate over "best."

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Premium bullets can be a good thing , in some circumstances .

If your caliber is on the edge of the generally accepted for that size of game , or extreme range is likely .

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I use a 30-06 and go with lighter/faster/flatter shooting bullets. Finding ammo in recent years has been a challenge and significant expense, so I usually just go with what I've got on hand. I've used the Remington Core Lokt, Federal Fusion and a few others...they all kill the deer very well.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Longer distance and/or bigger critter...the heavier, longer, sturdier ELD.

Deer at any 308 range...the lighter, faster 150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom