• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Thankyou for that, I already know the rifle is a MKI (no *), I was just hoping to see where the rifle was made and did not want to assume Savage or Long Branch based on the hand-guard as it "could" have been replaced at some point with what was available during it's 80 some year life and service in potentially different nations and am curious of it's actual manufacturer. If the OP would rather not show the other side of his rifle I understand perfectly, but as I say I am curious.
    I don't mind at all. Been hobbling around here a bit, but can get it out again:

Fazakerly I presume?

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Thank you sir. A Faz made in 49. Had to be one of the last before they went to Mark IIs. I do think it spent time in likely Pakistan due to the screw but I may be wrong. As far as the shooting I would check the king screw in front of the mag for tightness if you have not already and look to how the pressure is on the front of the barrel from the fore end, you want up pressure from the stock on the barrel. Curiosity satisfied thanks again.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Yep a Faz made in April of '49. Rumored to be one of the "Oirish Contract" rifles, but the tale is murky & there are many different PF prefixed serial number ranges quoted.
    Did your rear sight free up?

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Well, after this thread I decided to dig through the safe and found the rifle I was thinking about during this exchange and found it to be a younger sibling of the OP's. A 11/49 #4 MK 2 FAZ had the same fore end with the screw and shot terrible, literally all over. Looked it over could not see what the trouble could be, grabbed the stock and pressed on the barrel it had pressure on it...then I realized it was "down pressure" form the hand guard. The front of the stock was warped downward so I had to find another MK 2 stock to replace it with and now shoots much better. I will try to find a way to get a pic of it but don't count on it soon. Thought it was interesting

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Well, after this thread I decided to dig through the safe and found the rifle I was thinking about during this exchange and found it to be a younger sibling of the OP's. A 11/49 #4 MK 2 FAZ had the same fore end with the screw and shot terrible, literally all over. Looked it over could not see what the trouble could be, grabbed the stock and pressed on the barrel it had pressure on it...then I realized it was "down pressure" form the hand guard. The front of the stock was warped downward so I had to find another MK 2 stock to replace it with and now shoots much better. I will try to find a way to get a pic of it but don't count on it soon. Thought it was interesting
    What did you do with the old fore stock?
    Sounds like a good opportunity to have a look at the bearings then maybe repair.
    If there is a touch of slack at the top of the sear lugs or the fit is worn that will contribute to lack of down pressure at the muzzle.
    Among other things.
    If you think you may want it repaired or its worth it let me know.
    I like to do repairs like that when I dont have anything else to work on.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    What did you do with the old fore stock?
    Sounds like a good opportunity to have a look at the bearings then maybe repair.
    If there is a touch of slack at the top of the sear lugs or the fit is worn that will contribute to lack of down pressure at the muzzle.
    Among other things.
    If you think you may want it repaired or its worth it let me know.
    I like to do repairs like that when I dont have anything else to work on.
    I still have it, that is a kind offer on your part but I'm not sure when I'll have time to meet up. By the way, the down pressure was so much it wore the finish off the top of the barrel from the hand guard rubbing on it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I still have it, that is a kind offer on your part but I'm not sure when I'll have time to meet up. By the way, the down pressure was so much it wore the finish off the top of the barrel from the hand guard rubbing on it.
    Ok, not a problem for me to ride out somewhere to help someone out just so you know.
    I need a reason to get over to Kiwanis for some chicken so not out of the way or for just something to do.
    Sounds like a good wintertime project too!

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Ok, not a problem for me to ride out somewhere to help someone out just so you know.
    I need a reason to get over to Kiwanis for some chicken so not out of the way or for just something to do.
    Sounds like a good wintertime project too!
    Wintertime dodging hunting seasons there may be time if you can wait. I thankyou for your interest.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Yep a Faz made in April of '49. Rumored to be one of the "Oirish Contract" rifles, but the tale is murky & there are many different PF prefixed serial number ranges quoted.
    Did your rear sight free up?
    Yes, the rear sight has been moving freely. I just can't feel the detents under the sight elevation knob when rotated. I think I have penetrating oil in the shed, will go retrieve it and see if I can get that little #4 spring and #5 pin moving. My old lady may have a can of compressed air too. Those parts are EXTREMELY tiny, I'd rather not perform microscopic surgery on them

Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    There I got it finally. I really find it interesting two guys in the same state not all that far apart have a pair of rifles made the same year a few months apart (probably by the same people) one near the last example of a variant and the other has to be some of the first made of the other variant. Sorry it took so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom