• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sparky

Jun 30, 2012
    White Marsh
    I have been looking in to buying a new rifle. For hunting. Long range hunting and long rang target shooting. I have looked at the Remington 700 and Savage. Did come across a remy 700 5R. Any thoughts on the 5R. Is in worth the extra money and any recommendations. Thanks

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Are you going to be hunting/target shooting beyond 300 yards? If not, 300 win mag is way excessive.

Agreed. Here's a pic of a deer I took at 50 yards. That said, they don't run to far :)

Attachments

• IMG-20121124-00031.jpg
      IMG-20121124-00031.jpg
      87.8 KB · Views: 294

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    5R allows more shots between cleaning. But they also have heavy barrels, so a lot more to carry when hunting.

Great long range target gun though.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    There was a Sako 300 winmag Fiberclass at a pawn shop up this way. I think it is called J&K pawn on 40 in Aberdeen. I think they wanted $900 for it.

ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD
    I have a savage model 111 in .300 (no accutrigger) and I have no complaints. The trigger is not that bad but if I did It all over I would probably get one with accutrigger. I guess if I had to give one negative is that it feels like a horse kicking you in the shoulder when you shoot it.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    with people getting bang-flops out of 7-08 and 280 on alaska moose, caribou, elk and grizzlies at 400-600 yards, i can't imagine why someone feels they need a 300WM for maryland deer.

but hey, whatever makes ya feel awesome. :)

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    With a 150 grain bullet would 300 win mag be considered reasonable?

I will need to buy a hunting rifle for next year and would like to go 300 win mag for "fun" reasons, hopefully killing 2 birds with one stone.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    "Excessive". Eye of the beholder. Why shoot anything over a .223 at 300 yards if we have that mentality. If you like the cartridge buy one. Hell .338 lapua is fun at 100 yards.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    I've hunted with one. I wouldn't expect a lot of salvageable meat from the front quarters, especially if you hit major bone. Notice the small entry to the left shoulder and large exit out the front of the neck. About 6-8 inches. Hard quartered away shot. I did not have to cut the upper organs out, they just fell out when I opened up the diaphragm. She didn't take a step after the shot.

12-12-doe.jpg

Sparky

Jun 30, 2012
    White Marsh
    Say even at 400+ yd. I'm not just planning on doing hunting aloe long ranger target shooting. And is the 5r worth the extra money. Or would I be better off with a 308 remy 700 with heavy barrel?

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    "Excessive" I say BC you waste so much meat with a shot like that. If your are looking for a pretty mount and not worried about meat go for it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom