• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I have an Engage Lower that has been registered as an SBR and I am planning a new .300blk upper to use intermittently on the lower. I have a Griffin Armament 30SD suppressor in ATF limbo that I plan to use with this upper (and several other .308 guns). Ideally I would like a 9.5" barrel but I am willing to go to 10.5" if it means less chance of a baffle strike with subsonic ammo. I would like it to run both sub and supersonic ammo suppressed and un-suppressed but most of the shooting will be done suppressed with subsonic ammo at 50-100 yards.

I know I need to go with a pistol length gas system and I know I should get a 1:7 or 1:8 twist barrel, other than that I don't know what I want or need. I am interested in a piston gun since it means less gas in my face when shooting suppressed plus all my other ARs are DI so a piston gun would be something a little different. I am not dead-set on a piston gun so feel free to talk me out of it... If I go piston do I need an adjustable gas block? Do I need an adjustable gas block if I go DI? Any advice is greatly appreciated as I have never built an upper before (although I have built 8 lowers) and want to avoid making any dumb mistakes...

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Settles that.

Search carrier tilt for piston guns. I have not looked in years but this can be an issue.

Adjustable gas is a plus and since you're building it a good idea. I run a 8.2" Noveske without one and don't have issues with subs or supers. I do sometimes want more handguard length though.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd avoid a piston upper, but that's just from listening to Clandestine, who gave several good points about their disadvantages. Since you're in Virginia, have you signed up on Virginia Gun Trader yet? There are some good deals on there from the vendors on 300 uppers.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    With a piston or di you'll want an adjustable GB. With a piston gun you'll be left with a GB with only two settings a suppressed and not suppressed which sucks. With a di gun, you will want an adjustable GB but you can have a GB with unlimited adjustability which is highly preferred. My advice, stay direct impingement.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks for the advice guys. After reading what Clandestine had to say about piston guns I will stick with DI!

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    So I just ordered a Noveske Lo-Pro 10.5" barrel and a Noveske stripped upper. Now to pick the handguard, charging handle, BCG, and gas block...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a 10.5" Noveske on mine. Using the Noveske non-adjustable gas block. No problems at all with supers or subs.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I've got the 8.5 Noveske and have no problems with subs or supers. It's a great barrel and unlike my 10.5 inch and 16 inch Noveske's, it isn't over gassed. All shells kick to the 4 o'clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom