• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    Like a Godian Knot, this is kicking my butt!

Background...

10.2" Noveske barrel from them with no modifications aside from the standard M4 feed ramps.

Reloading 300BLK on my Hornady LNL AP Press with all in spec stuff from Hornady...

Recipe...

12.0 grains AA5744
    190 grain SMK
    .223 recut to 1.390
    COAL is 2.185

Result...

When fed from magazine, BCG will not go all the way into battery. When fed singly, we go into battery, but will not manually cycle to eject - without firing, needing rather to mortar the rifle.

The image below are the marks on my round... image-1663822382.jpg
    Measuring at the marks left give me .3705.

I've measured Hornady's .300 WHISPER rounds and they are .2990 at the same place, and I have no feed issues with them at all.

Solution...

So here's my ?... Do I keep looking for different bullets? I have some AMax's, but damn they're a tad $$$ for range plinking... Should I have the throat reamed? This barrel was pricey from Noveske, so do I send it back?

ObiWan you're my only hope! What would you do?

Cheers, Ian

Well, first of all the SAAMI maximum shell length is 1.368. The minimum chamber is 1.378. I cut my .223 brass to 1.390 and then trim it to 1.365. I've had no feed issues with a Noveske upper receiver and Noveske 14.5 in barrel.

Get a headspace gauge for .300 BLK. Also, try to make a chamber cast of your barrel.

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    ID,

Thanks for the reply! Best thing about this community is that many folks "have been there" before...

Here's a shot from Hornady's 9th...
    image-2120563841.jpg

So you're saying to go smaller than what my manual says? I understand that the value given is MAX case trim length...

Just measured case on a factory round @ 1.3610. Mine are coming in at a solid 1.38...

So bullet shape and ogive value is NOT my issue, rather it's my case length?

Who makes the best book for 300?

Thanks again for the quick reply...

Cheers,

Ian

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Wow...

I'm waaaaay off!

Thanks everyone!

Ian

No problem, I had forgotten about the error until you posted the pic of your edition, let us know how those loads turn out, 190 isn't as common of a weight as say a 220/125/150 and I am sure your data will be appreciated.

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    Ok..

Changed the case length on my trimmer and it seems to be functioning well... I just trimmed 200 pieces on my band saw, tumbled em up, and resized them.

I used Hornady's UNIQUE wax, and like it way better than the spray stuff.

Trimmed all of them up to 1.368 - 1.36 and they all seem to be feeding well. I'm using 208 gn AMax on top of 10.8 gn of AA5744.

Working on my sub loads and this seems very sweet into my test tube...

Headed to DSC this afternoon with my boys...anyone else?

Cheers,

Doc

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom