• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    A friend called me yesterday about converting his AR over and I felt like I must’ve been off the grid. Anyone have any personal experience with this. As of now I’m looking for a reason not to jump on board. My last 6.5 creedmoor build was to get my night set up down from 14 lbs to 11 lbs. This set up would get me closer to 9. Walking for hours at night those pounds add up.
    Ammo cost and availability would probably come around if this caliber catches on

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Better ballistics than a full-power .300 Blackout.

IMHO, the very biggest advantage is that it will NOT chamber in a 5.56/.223 chamber like the .300 Blackout.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Does anyone on here have the 6.8 SPC? Interesting. Rabbit holes here I come. :)

I put a 6.8 together using a ARP 16” barrel. I have to admit it was a impulse project. It shot well with 85gr ttsx. It was hovering just over 1 moa but I never really put the time and effort into tweaking the load for it. I’m sure it’s a good mid range deer cartridge but I’m thinking it really shines in what it was designed for and that is putting down 2 legged critters. It uses some of the faster rifle powders too so there is no doubt in my mind it will also work well in a shorter barrel. I also believe it’s true potential can only be obtained by handloading for it. It seemed the factory loadings are kinda gutless. My opinion of course.
    I finally realized there wasn’t much practicality for my uses so I sold the barrel and bolt to my buddy.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I have a 300 HAM’R, in my opinion if you don’t want to go subsonic it’s THE 300 to have.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I put a 6.8 together using a ARP 16” barrel. I have to admit it was a impulse project. It shot well with 85gr ttsx. It was hovering just over 1 moa but I never really put the time and effort into tweaking the load for it. I’m sure it’s a good mid range deer cartridge but I’m thinking it really shines in what it was designed for and that is putting down 2 legged critters. It uses some of the faster rifle powders too so there is no doubt in my mind it will also work well in a shorter barrel. I also believe it’s true potential can only be obtained by handloading for it. It seemed the factory loadings are kinda gutless. My opinion of course.
    I finally realized there wasn’t much practicality for my uses so I sold the barrel and bolt to my buddy.
    Agreed. I was debating that or the 300AAC and decided 300. I did not want to get an AR that had a short life. Then I built one out in 22 nosler with an athlon 56 scope. Go figure. :)

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Agreed. I was debating that or the 300AAC and decided 300. I did not want to get an AR that had a short life. Then I built one out in 22 nosler with an athlon 56 scope. Go figure. :)

Funny how that happens. I almost fell for the 224 Valkyrie but I’m sure that would of ended up in the pile of barrels too.

I love my 300blk. Once I figured out a 150gr fmj subsonic load that cycles my pistol with a can on it, that’s really all I shoot through it. It also keeps me from getting the itch to put a pistol caliber AR together.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Funny how that happens. I almost fell for the 224 Valkyrie but I’m sure that would of ended up in the pile of barrels too.

I love my 300blk. Once I figured out a 150gr fmj subsonic load that cycles my pistol with a can on it, that’s really all I shoot through it. It also keeps me from getting the itch to put a pistol caliber AR together.
    150gr subsonic for 300blk? Would you please share your load?

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    150gr subsonic for 300blk? Would you please share your load?

I will have to check my notes when I get home in the morning so I can give you accurate info. I can’t recall off the top of my head but I use 1680. That’s coming out of a 10.5” barrel. They are right on the edge because they will crack every once in a while in my 16” TC encore.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg

150g? dang, I would think at least 194g. Awesome. Yeah at least the Valkyrie has multiple ammo vendors. For me just Nosler- when you can get it. Shoots a little flatter than the Valkyrie from what I have read. We shall see.

Last edited:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I will have to check my notes when I get home in the morning so I can give you accurate info. I can’t recall off the top of my head but I use 1680. That’s coming out of a 10.5” barrel. They are right on the edge because they will crack every once in a while in my 16” TC encore.
    yeah I would think a few fliers.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Watch a vid on brass forming. That might change your mind. I'll stick with my 300AAC, thank you.

*There's always going to be a gun that will out shoot another gun. It's a trap*

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Better ballistics than a full-power .300 Blackout.

IMHO, the very biggest advantage is that it will NOT chamber in a 5.56/.223 chamber like the .300 Blackout.
    Can you use 5.56/.223 mags or do you have to have ones for 300 HAMR specifically?

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Watch a vid on brass forming. That might change your mind. I'll stick with my 300AAC, thank you.

*There's always going to be a gun that will out shoot another gun. It's a trap*

This all day! I was bored when I started this thinking it might be another fun build. But it really starts splitting hairs and really how many AR calibers do I want. If 223, 9, 300blk, 350 legend, 308 and 6.5 creedmoor can’t get it done I think it’s more of a shooter problem.

Last edited:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I like the 220gr subs in my 10.5" 300BLK with the Rugged 45, it's really quiet. I can't reload for 300BLK right now but the 150gr sub sounds interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom