• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I'll check this out. Right now, I'm using the buffer and spring that came with the Phase 5 pistol buffer tube. Maybe something lighter...

If your having trouble cycling supers it is most likely a gas issue. I don't think there is a buffer heavy enough to cause FTE when you are running 17grn Lil Gun.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    One thing to check that makes a big difference with 300bo is the spring length. I had one that we couldn't get to cycle and were chasing gas system problems which turned out to be a buffer spring length issue.

This is a case where having 20 AR's helps, I compared all the springs and most of them were all slightly different lengths, this particular one was too long.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I've noticed that the King Shooter Supply PC bullets are failing to chamber about 20% of the time, as opposed to the Sierra Matchking 220gr. I have a Seekins match barrel, so there isn't much give on tolerances.

The prepped brass case gauges fine in my Sheridan gauge, but when I reload the bullet I can see it is too tight around the neck in the gauge. The PC bullets are .309 as opposed to the Matchking's .308, so I'm thinking I either need to neck turn my brass to take a little off the diameter or resize the bullet. I'd like to find a solution, as the price and accuracy of the PC bullets is pretty great.

Neck turning seems like the most likely solution to my problem...recommendations from folks as to tools to get the job done quickly and easily?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I size powder coated and hitek coated cast bullets using a lee push through sizing die.. it's quick and easy and I don't lube the pc, just run em through the die with no issues.

The other thing that may be causing you issues is the nose profile of the cast bullets as compared to the SMK's. I have had issues on occasion with some cast profiles, but almost never with SMK's when loading them for subs. Be sure you aren't forcing the ogive into the leade with the oal on the casts.

eta - you can also use a Noe expander in a lee expanding die to get the neck dimensions exactly where you want them. I do this for casts in rifle calibers and it works really well. The expanders are inexpensive and there are a lot of different variants available in about any size you want..

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for the quick response Sticky. That was what I was originally thinking, and was hoping that just bumping the bullets back a touch would solve my issue.

I have the Sheridan cut out gauge, so I can visually verify where the issues are. It's definitely in the neck area. Resizing the bullet sounds like a faster solution (and maybe cheaper?) than neck turning...which I've avoided up to now due primarily to laziness and belief that the gains don't really justify the time / money and energy spent on turning necks.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I was wondering about the whole neck turning bit with converted cases but never seen much mention of it. I drop all my loaded rounds in a case gauge now and the ones that don't fit I've been putting aside and thus far it's cut the FTF/FTC out on the ones that pass. I'm wondering, though, that if it were the bullet sizing being an issue, wouldn't it be a lot more frequent if they're all the same size? Are the conversion brass you're running all the same kind, or is it a mix of headstamps?

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, I think it's because I'm right on the edge with the bullet size and slight variations in neck thickness will make it a problem or not. Thus either resizing the bullet from .309 to .308 or skim turning the necks "should" solve my problem.

It's mixed headstamp brass, but primarily 5.56 NATO (either Federal or LC). I've noticed the commercial .223 (primarily Remington) isn't a problem...again pointing to case thickness as the cause.

I think if it wasn't a match barrel it wouldn't be an issue at all.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    FWIW, in case others have any issues with the PC cast bullets, I went with the lower cost option of getting the Lee resizing die (.308) and it worked like a charm. Loaded 25 rounds to test it out on Saturday and 25/25 chambered and cycled fine on Sunday. As a bonus, resizing to .308 also eliminated any need to bell the case necks before seating the bullet. At .309 I got shavings...at .308 a basic chamfer and an easy and steady pressure with the seating die was all that was needed. One less step, and a little less working of the brass.

Just like Sticky said, running the PC bullets through the die didn't require any lube and did nothing to damage the PC coating...easy and quick.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I got out yesterday with the Leather Head projectiles. I did not resize. I had no issues with shaving with just the basic chamfer. Shot 20. No issues.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter

ap1

Sep 6, 2014
    125 cycling a 10"

Does anyone have a super load (125gr SMKs) that will reliably cycle a 10" gun? I've tried Lil' Gun (nope) and H110 (close, but still get a failure 1 or 2 times in a mag.) I picked up a Blastout for when I don't want to use a suppressor, but need a super load that will work.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you probably have issues with your gas system. It is VERY possible that your gas tube/block is not properly aligned.
    In 300 blackout, most any round with a bullet under 150 gr is a speed demon
    thumper. Using Lil Gun (which I use) you should have muzzle velocities of over 2300 fps and enough gas pressure to slam any bolt back.

Are you using bench rest or magnum primers? It is a must for blackout!

You can try 4227 as an alternative powder that should not be too hard to find but I hate to say it ... Lil gun should be working!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you probably have issues with your gas system. It is VERY possible that your gas tube/block is not properly aligned. In 300 blackout, most any round with a bullet under 150 gr is a speed demon thumper. Using Lil Gun (which I use) you should have muzzle velocities of over 2300 fps and enough gas pressure to slam any bolt back. Are you using bench rest or magnum primers? It is a must for blackout! You can try 4227 as an alternative powder that should not be too hard to find but I hate to say it ... Lil gun should be working!
    This. I don't even have problems using Lil Gun in subs. My gun has a 10.5" barrel and I'm using a Tubbs Spring.

ap1

Sep 6, 2014
    lil gun in subs...not

This. I don't even have problems using Lil Gun in subs. My gun has a 10.5" barrel and I'm using a Tubbs Spring.

I really don't want to dole out too many trade secrets but Lil gun is NOT a good powder for subs. You have to use a stupid heavy bullet which reduces effective range to unacceptable levels. I use it in my 110 gr vmax. It allows me to achieve speeds in excess of 2500 fps without blinking.

Do not fear the compressed load! Some powders are gonna fill the puppy to the top like black powder...Also, do not be afraid to load with a C.O.A.L. of 2.000 or under...if your brass is properly formed and you haven't over crimped... you won't have any problems...

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT ANYONE WHO IS EXPERIMENTING WITH BLACKOUT LOADS SHOULD OBTAIN A SHERIDAN CUT AWAY CASE GAUGE! See what your
    round is doing before you shoot it.

I have made well over 100,000 rounds of blackout using at least a half a dozen different powders and a dozen different bullets...
    I see a lot of folks talking about different buffer springs etc. if you have a properly made 300 aac round in either a sub or suoer and an upper with a pistol length gas system, you should be able to drop that sucker on any mil spec lower
    and cycle rounds till the cows come home!

BTW THESE ARE THE NEW HORNADY ELDs DESIGNED FOR SUBSONIC EXPANSION
    PART_1467430207133_100MEDIAIMAG1187_1.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I really don't want to dole out too many trade secrets but Lil gun is NOT a good powder for subs. You have to use a stupid heavy bullet which reduces effective range to unacceptable levels. I use it in my 110 gr vmax. It allows me to achieve speeds in excess of 2500 fps without blinking.

Do not fear the compressed load! Some powders are gonna fill the puppy to the top like black powder...Also, do not be afraid to load with a C.O.A.L. of 2.000 or under...if your brass is properly formed and you haven't over crimped... you won't have any problems...

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT ANYONE WHO IS EXPERIMENTING WITH BLACKOUT LOADS SHOULD OBTAIN A SHERIDAN CUT AWAY CASE GAUGE! See what your
    round is doing before you shoot it.

I have made well over 100,000 rounds of blackout using at least a half a dozen different powders and a dozen different bullets...
    I see a lot of folks talking about different buffer springs etc. if you have a properly made 300 aac round in either a sub or suoer and an upper with a pistol length gas system, you should be able to drop that sucker on any mil spec lower
    and cycle rounds till the cows come home!

BTW THESE ARE THE NEW HORNADY ELDs DESIGNED FOR SUBSONIC EXPANSION
    PART_1467430207133_100MEDIAIMAG1187_1.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for the advice!

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Funny this thread cam back to life, yesterday I set up for the Leather heads, haven't loaded any but my first test gave no shavings - very slight case belling in powder station. My Lee dies are too short for my Dillon 650 ... but I have an awesome set of tools :)

I'll be trying 1680 and LilGun for Subs, Thanks for your input ap1, I did not know the ELD had a low velocity expanding version ... its about time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom